1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

6 hours ago, Timmas said:

Hi Bill

I've been watching this with fascination (and in awe) as I'm also building a 1:72 TSR2 at the moment. Mine is the earlier boxing though, not the Statos / Anime one. 

I found your thread after searching the forums. I originally came across the mind-boggling one that @Seversky did, then the one by @Martian Hale . :yikes:Your's is going to be stunning too :jealous: and I have to confess that, because I have nowhere near the skill or experience that you have, I'm using your thread as something of a guide on 'how to do it'. I hope you don't mind.

I did wonder about creating a topic of my own but decided not to as I don't want to find myself making a huge cock-up in the full glare of the BM community! At least, not yet. I'll hold off until I get more experience under my belt. What I will do though is upload it once it's done (if it looks ok:pray:) and ask for critical comments. I have no idea when that might be as I'm nowhere near the painting stage yet.

Anyway, I'll keep following and hope that mine ends up somewhere (anywhere) near as good as your's is shaping up to be, as well as those of the other guys mentioned above.

Thanks for publishing it.

Tim

Welcome aboard, Tim! We're trying to do some justice to the old gal, hopefully it won't disappoint. To be honest, I had expected to be done by now, but Airfix decided to keep us honest and throw a few challenges our way.   :)

I'm on my second application of PPP on those nasty wing seams. It didn't look too bad after the first, but wifey has a critical eye and won't let me get away with that. I'm still thinking about how to get the panel lines back. Move them, I guess, and scribe near the joints but not on them (PPP doesn't really like to be scribed). I know, that's cheating, but what the heck. They probably weren't in the right place to begin with.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, David H said:

How about cheat with a sharp #2 pencil?

-d-

Now you've done it! The secret is out...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I can draw all sorts of panel lines in Photoshop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It might be a tad soft on detailing but I usually use a knife to detail PPP

Not in a cutting/scribing action more of a find the line and press a bit deeper leaving the cut in the surface and letting it stand for itself

more line, press deeper

But I do use a pencil quite often if the line is indefinite to start with

• Like 2

All right then, a little putty here and some sanding there...

IMG_1815

PPP is not the best stuff for feathering, my favourite is that red glazing putty that I use, but after all was said and done:

IMG_1818

IMG_1816

I think she'll pass muster anyhow. I need to let the white cure until it doesn't smell like paint anymore (with Testors that usually takes a couple of days). Then I think I will blatantly steal borrow mimic be inspired by @Seversky's use of Gunze H21 off-white on many of the panels. Then we'll need to re-paint the gear and wheel wells with the lighter grey, along with the avionics bay. I think I'm going to use a very light grey wash (which I haven't made up yet) for the panel lines. I don't normally do that, but this overall white needs something. The actual aircraft is not really weathered, it's just old. 

The bogie arms have had some detail painting done, and I've also shot the tyres with Gunze H77 Tire Black. I'm anxious for the stickers myself!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

I was looking over some of  the pictures I took whilst we were ensconced beneath the mighty TSR2 at one of the shows

Not weathered just old is about the finest description she could have now

Do you mind me dropping this here?

I can remove as soon as you like, if you like Bill

Cosford_April_12th_009.jpg

All those fasteners must have been opened hundreds of times, and she didn't even fly  :(

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I think I'm going to use a very light grey wash (which I haven't made up yet) for the panel lines.

I totally agree with that :coolio:  She looks sweet an smooth as she is right now, but you really need to break up all that immaculate white :) 

Ciao

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Then we'll need to re-paint the gear and wheel wells with the lighter grey, along with the avionics bay. I think I'm going to use a very light grey wash (which I haven't made up yet) for the panel lines. I don't normally do that, but this overall white needs something. The actual aircraft is not really weathered, it's just old. 

If you're interested,  the gear and wheel wells I painted by Revell 371.

The lines between panels was painted by magical composition - Tamiya Smoke X-19 plus vodka.

Although for myself I prefer whiskey.  )))

Edited by Seversky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Now you've done it! The secret is out...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I can draw all sorts of panel lines in Photoshop.

I just hope they are not the dreaded Red Lines. We see entirely too many of those already.

-d-

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David H said:

For a wash you might want to consider FS 36495, light aircraft gray.

5 hours ago, Seversky said:

The lines between panels was painted by magical composition - Tamiya Smoke X-19 plus vodka.

Gunze FS36495 is what I've chosen for the gear wells and legs, and it would work well as a wash. Revell say that 371 is close to Testors FS36495, so I guess we're all in the same ballpark (cricket field?).

Vodka, eh? Well, I guess that would work since I know Tamiya paints are soluble in alcohol...I would prefer Scotch myself, but that would change the colour of the wash. I think I would rather save the Scotch for drinking though.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

Eyes are going too as well as the brain

I read the above and my eye, skipping across as it tends to these days saw " Tamiya pilots are soluble in alcohol...

And I believed it for a minute or so 'til reality gave me a nudge

:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/10/2018 at 5:54 PM, Navy Bird said:

I hear you. I can't tell you how many times I bonked my noggin on trailing and leading edges of aircraft in museums. Even the same aircraft several times, I'm such a dolt. Thank God it wasn't an F-104 or SR-71, something with sharp edges. I might have accidentally had that lobotomy I've always wanted (needed?).   :)

Cheers,

Bill

I came within a few inches of that with the F-104 at the museum in Ottawa once.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Seversky said:

I'm confused; does the vodka go in the paint or the painter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Obviously you don't want unwanted pigments in a white finish
Whisky will certainly add a little Jenny Say Kwah to a darker finish

The younger generation, what are they like huh?

:(

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Eyes are going too as well as the brain

I read the above and my eye, skipping across as it tends to these days saw " Tamiya pilots are soluble in alcohol...

And I believed it for a minute or so 'til reality gave me a nudge

The brain is an interesting thing, no? Did you ever see that internet thing that claimed we only need to see the first and last letters of a word in order to read and comprehend a sentence? Or something like that...I forget exactly what it was because they only included the first and last letters of each word.   :P

22 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I came within a few inches of that with the F-104 at the museum in Ottawa once.

I did the same thing in Dayton. What makes it worse is that Kelly Johnson put the leading edge of the wing right near forehead level.

18 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I'm confused; does the vodka go in the paint or the painter?

@perdu beat me to it!   :banghead:

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Whisky will certainly add a little Jenny Say Kwah to a darker finish

Ah, Jenny...I think I dated her sister.

6 hours ago, Seversky said:

I'm glad I was a little shook the community (I hope Navy Bird does not mind).
Of course, acrylic is better to dilute X-20A, but vodka is also suitable, especially since we have a lot of it! )))

Navy Bird does not mind. These are good diversions to take up the time when I'm not making much progress! I have to ask, though, if vodka and X-20A are substitutes, does this mean that you drink Tamiya if you run out of vodka?    :)

So, some experiments. I made up a wash using Gunze FS36495, and when applied to some panel lines it is virtually indistinguishable from the white paint. So I will need to make a darker one - I tried by adding a single drop of black to the light grey wash and it resulted in a wash that was too dark. Time to start over again - this time I added a drop or two of Medium Sea Grey to the FS36495 wash and I think this will be just want I want.

I also did some random application of Gunze off-white, trying to follow the photos of XR220 and duplicate the areas where the finish looks aged and/or yellowed/dirty. No luck, this resulted in a very odd looking finish. I then sprayed over the top of that with a very thin mix of the base white to tone everything back down. I think my plan now is to do the panel line wash, and then pick out certain panels and the radome to do in a bright white and see if that adds some more interest.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Whisky will certainly add a little Jenny Say Kwah

8 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Ah, Jenny...I think I dated her sister.

I got Perdu's joke only now ... :rofl:  Je ne sais quoi ... :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bill maybe this is the time to add whisky, or as you are 'over there' a little bourbon

Is this what Seversky is trying subtlely to suggest

Giorgio I think it is serving you well to work these out for your self, well done

• Like 1
  • Haha 1