1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

Hi Bill, just catching up on this. Wondered if these might help;

Duxford 02-17 282

Duxford 02-17 281

Duxford 02-17 294

You certainly are pushing the boat out on this one, and rightly so. What an amazing looking machine. Should be a cracker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like they're all butt joints between flaps and wings, aren't they? How are you going to glue them?

With Super Butt Glue, of course.    :)

Seriously, the front edge of the flaps are rounded (like the real thing) and fit into a "slot" formed by the top and bottom wings. Plus, the actuator fairings on the bottom of the flap and wing overlap each other slightly, again like the real thing (the pictures just posted by Smudge show this very well). Plenty of places for the superglue required by the resin to hold. Besides, the flaps only weigh about a nano-gram so it's not like much strength is required. Shouldn't be a problem.

39 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Hi Bill, just catching up on this. Wondered if these might help;

<snip>

You certainly are pushing the boat out on this one, and rightly so. What an amazing looking machine. Should be a cracker.

Great photos, thanks. And timely, too, as those underwing shots help explain how the actuator fairing overlap. As far as pushing the boat, wouldn't oars make more sense?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. It'll be a cracker!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Great photos, thanks. And timely, too, as those underwing shots help explain how the actuator fairing overlap

Agreed. Thanks both :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Just been having a look around my old photos, these might be of use ;) I took these about 6 years ago and these are all I can find of the TSR 2 

39066668484_a5ae117547_b.jpg

25904295158_2112aea705_b.jpg

25905236298_c1dcedd318_b.jpg

39066668294_58ac8db654_b.jpg

39066668194_f76b55b61b_b.jpg

39066668034_e37f35979e_b.jpg

39066667954_4c45045e54_b.jpg

39066667854_8a9d7b4caa_b.jpg

25905236228_29ca266887_b.jpg

Hopefully of some use to you, keep up the great work !

Dan 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Just been having a look around my old photos, these might be of use ;) I took these about 6 years ago and these are all I can find of the TSR 2 

<snip>

Hopefully of some use to you, keep up the great work !

Dan 

Thanks, Dan, those are nice shots. You might consider asking @Julien if he'd like to add them to the TSR.2 walkaround page here on BM. But not that ejection seat - that must be from some other aircraft that was on display. The sign in the photo says it's a Mk.7 (whose many variants were used by planes like the F-4, F-8, later F-104, etc.), but the TSR.2 used a Mk.8, specifically the Mk.8VA. Here is a photo of one:

mk8a_34lt

That's one beaucoup headrest. Has to be the biggest one ever on an ejection seat.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Cheers Bill,    The Seat was in the TSR 2 folder so I just posted it up, I took those a few years ago when I bought my Airfix TSR kit.

Aircraft are not really my bag ;) as you can tell !  I shall remove it as not to cause any confusion.

We do have some shots of the TSR.2 seat in thr TSR.2 walkaround, and we have some in the Martin Baker thread. It was a Mk.8a seat designed only for the TSR.2

To make things slightly complicated Martin Baker then re-used the Mk.8a designation for the lightweight Mk.10 seat used in the Tucano.

Julien

• Like 1

Well, I did what I said I was going to do. I glued the three top fuselage pieces together. I did this to try and get the best fit and alignment between these pieces, figuring that if it didn't fit onto the fuselage correctly then I would worry about it later! I also glued the top and bottom wings together, along with those resin parts on the bottom wing. Here is what it looks like now:

IMG_1736

IMG_1735

You can get a good idea of how the flaps will attach in these shots. The "panel line" or seam between the upper wing and the front piece (which will blend into the intakes) is a VERY prominent feature of XR219 photos where you can see the top of the aircraft. For instance, the cover of this book which I own:

https://www.scalemates.com/books/book.php?id=115333

Both this book, and Burke's, refer to the "flexible" wing meeting the fuselage along this panel line. I don't quite understand what exactly that means, but if things flex at this point perhaps there is some kind of flexible seal between these components. Pure conjecture on my part - does anyone know what the structure was like here?

Now, the big question - will this bad boy fit onto the fuselage assembly? Well, believe it or don't, it fits and it fits quite well. I'm quite chuffed. I think if I had followed the instructions, the seams would have been a bit more difficult to get right.

You can see that I've added some resin vents of some kind on the top of the rear fuselage. Neither of my cutaway drawings have these labelled, so I'm not sure what they're for. But the resin parts are certainly much nicer than those that come with the kit.

During my seemingly unending test fitting, I discovered that I needed another spreader, this time up near the nose gear bay.

IMG_1739

You'll notice that the starboard intake has a piece of styrene stuck on the back, while the port does not. For some reason when I cut these parts off of the pour block, the starboard intake ended up "see-through" which I didn't really like, so I plugged it. Looking through the front of the intakes, it's pretty difficult to see the end of the intakes since they turn inward. So the intakes are seamless until they end a short distance inside!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 16

Silly question number 457: What size were the tyres used on the main gear? The reason I ask is that the kit tyres scale out to 43" diameter, whilst the CMK resin tyres are noticeably smaller, scaling out at 41" diameter. Not a big difference, and I'll no doubt use the resin tyres since the detail on the wheel and brake is much crisper, but I am curious. I'm willing to bet the correct size is 42" diameter, which is in-between Airfix and CMK.

Just finishing up the lower airbrake wells. Almost time to put the wing on, and close up the bottom of the fuselage. I have a shipment on its way from Hannants (a wonderful friend was thoughtful enough to give me a nice gift voucher for Christmas) and somewhere in that box of aftermarket goodies that is winging its way across the ocean is the SAC set of white metal landing gear. Plus, a fellow Britmodeller has a resin tail fin with leading edge intake heading my way. More goodies!

I can probably start painting her once the fuselage is buttoned up and the wing on. The landing gear can be added later, and so can the fin (it was an all-moving fin so there's no need to blend it into the fuselage). The tailerons can also be added at any time. Airfix provide a way to allow the fin and the tailerons to be moveable, but I gave up that kind of stuff when I became a teenager. I still try to make jet sounds though...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I still try to make jet sounds though...

Well, who doesn't? :rofl:

I'm always amazed at how clean and neat your modelling is - like that wing assembly, for instance. Something I really aim for, but not sure I'll ever get there ... maybe when I retire. Oh, forget that, I'm pretty sure I'll never reach retirement :(

Looking forward to the painting stage :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

and so can the fin (it was an all-moving fin so there's no need to blend it into the fuselage). The tailerons can also be added at any time. Airfix provide a way to allow the fin and the tailerons to be moveable, but I gave up that kind of stuff when I became a teenager. I still try to make jet sounds though...

Cheers,

Bill

I am going thru something similar as i wrap up this Tamiya F-14 i'm building. I replaced the injection-molded tailplane pivots with short lengths of K+S Aluminium tube. One of those cases where one of the strongest pieces on the actual aircraft is one of the weakest in the injection-moulded kit. However, having the tailplanes and vertical fins as separate components that can be added at the end of construction sure makes finishing the model a lot easier.

-d-

• Like 1

I couldn't avoid this any longer - I was going to have to hack out the opening in the lower fuselage section for the airbrakes. Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The Airfix plastic is pretty soft. I wish the photo showed the original on the left side a bit better, but on the right side you can see the new gaping hole.

IMG_1747

And with both of the resin airbrake wells installed. They fit pretty well, even when the lower section is added to the fuselage proper. And no interference with the spreader - I guessed right.    :)

IMG_1748

There are some additional small resin pieces that still need to be added to the airbrake wells, both upper and lower. I guess the entire thing couldn't be cast in one piece.

Onward!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

On 1/20/2018 at 11:22, David H said:

I am going thru something similar as i wrap up this Tamiya F-14 i'm building. I replaced the injection-molded tailplane pivots with short lengths of K+S Aluminium tube. One of those cases where one of the strongest pieces on the actual aircraft is one of the weakest in the injection-moulded kit. However, having the tailplanes and vertical fins as separate components that can be added at the end of construction sure makes finishing the model a lot easier.

Yes it does! And I definitely like not having to blend in the vertical fin since there is a slight gap on the real TSR.2, being an all-moving rudder and all. Which reminds me, does anyone else see some similarities with the A-5 Vigilante?

On 1/20/2018 at 06:35, giemme said:

I'm always amazed at how clean and neat your modelling is - like that wing assembly, for instance. Something I really aim for, but not sure I'll ever get there ... maybe when I retire. Oh, forget that, I'm pretty sure I'll never reach retirement

22 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Hmm, not so much hacking out as precision engineering. Beautifully clean finish as ever Bill.

Thanks guys. Memsahib always wonders why the cleanliness of my model builds never transfers over to other tasks, say, housekeeping for instance. Beats me.

So, on to THE faux pas of the Airfix TSR.2 kits. You know what I mean (cue music from Twilight Zone) the splay angle. Named after Dr Norbert Splay, famous for over zealous bandy leg surgical repairs. Most of what I've read concern the 1:48 scale kit, but I've seen a few references to it for the little guy here as well. Apparently, Airfix used a splay angle of 21 degrees instead of the actual 18 degrees. To verify, I inserted the main gear legs into the resin gear bay (they won't fit without a small modification - more evidence, I think, that CMK never actually built the model using their aftermarket pieces), took a photo and measured using the angular dimension tool in Corel Draw:

Splay Angle

Yup, that's 21 degrees on each leg. But what I noticed was that the legs are actually a bit loose, once I got them to slide into the gear bay. The modification that I had to make was just a little notch so that the legs would clear the orange boxes as you can see here:

IMG_1753

Since the legs had some wiggle room, I figured I see how much. I took a twist tie and squeezed the legs together at their base, took another photo and made another measurement.

Splay Angle Adj

Well, isn't that interesting. I also measured the "track" or width across the two legs and found that the difference between the two angles resulted in a 4mm difference in the track. Obviously a smaller angle yields a smaller track. In any event, the 38 degree position is only off by 1 degree on each leg, and quite possibly is something that can be lived with. Alternately, making the legs a bit more wiggly would allow setting to the real figure of 36 degrees (18 degrees per leg).

Fixing the splay angle this way will result in the axles where the bogie assemblies attach to not be horizontal. I believe this can be fixed and/or adjusted during assembly of the main gear using a jig.

Now, those of you who did not drink an entire bottle of single malt this afternoon will recall that I have on order a set of the SAC white metal legs. I've never used these before, but photos make me suspect they're just copies of the kit parts. However, SAC have claimed that the 1:48 scale set correct the splay angle, so perhaps the 1:72 set does as well. But - let me give you my opinion based on looking at sets of SAC white metal legs at a recent model show. The detail looks very soft, and quite frankly I didn't care for it. We'll see what the TSR set look like when they get here, but if they look the same I don't expect I'll be using them. And I also don't think the weight of this model, even with all the resin, is going to create any problem for the styrene landing gear. The main legs are pretty hefty. That big chunk of resin for the bomb bay and gear wells? It weighs one ounce (28g). Not exactly a brick!   :)

Time for my nap...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

Easy

http://www.justminiatures.co.uk/balvenie-doublewood-12-yr-single-malt-scotch-whisky-miniature-5cl-p-5264.html

Trevor

Note the above post is made for purely comedic (sic) purposes only and is not an endorsement for alcohol consumption. Do not exceed the recommended alcohol unit consumption recommended in your jurisdiction.

This post contains nuts, gluten and other stuff.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Well, that's me out, then.

@Martian Hale too, I suspect.    :)

43 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

5cl? What's the point of that? Hardly a taste. Besides, it seems that @Procopius beat me to that link. It's sold out - he must have bought the entire inventory.    :(

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

@Martian Hale too, I suspect.    :)

5cl? What's the point of that? Hardly a taste. Besides, it seems that @Procopius beat me to that link. It's sold out - he must have bought the entire inventory.    :(

Cheers,

Bill

I think that’s yer aktuell in flight serving?

Trevor

• Like 1