M31 Recovery Vehicle

Andy Moore

This is where I'm currently at. The crane is fixed to the turret, although the support arms are only temporarily pinned to the hull right now, so the turret and arms can be removed and painted separately to the hull. I'm also testing different stowage and figure options

39033945735_35e024e835_b.jpg

This chap will eventually get a body and head (possibly even arms), but I've had to do a bit of hacking and resculpting on his legs first so he'll sit a little better on the hull. The figure's from Miniart but I've got some Hornet heads on the way to replace what you get in the box

25060876097_531e3bef6a_b.jpg

The stowage on the back will be bedded in better with some tissue paper tarps. In between pushing Axis forces back, the crew where clearly doubling up as the Sicilian window cleaning service ;)

39033942015_3768df4ee6_b.jpg

Andy:cat:

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

the crew where clearly doubling up as the Sicilian window cleaning service ;)

Andy, this is a great build.  I do like the bucket hanging on the ladder there, and hope that makes it to the final build :)

• Like 1

There's a fantastic build weathering canvas developing in this build

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Andy, this is a great build.  I do like the bucket hanging on the ladder there, and hope that makes it to the final build :)

No doubt Andy already has it in hand but I suspect the bucket needs a short loop of rope or cloth just to lash it to the ladder so its rightful owner can find it right where he left it when the tank stops moving.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

I'm thoroughly intrigued - How do you paint this? Hair or Air? Watching with notebook in hand :popcorn:

It'll be airbrushed for the most part. The black areas on the rear deck were just a preliminary undercoat before the stowage bins were added, as I might struggle to get into all the nooks and crannies when I do the main painting.

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

No doubt Andy already has it in hand but I suspect the bucket needs a short loop of rope or cloth just to lash it to the ladder so its rightful owner can find it right where he left it when the tank stops moving.

To be honest, I hadn't actually thought of that, but you're right, it does need something to hold it in place. There are some other bits of stowage that will be lashed on with rope at the end, so I'll add some to the bucket too.

I haven't got much done over the last few days, but I have decided to put the tracks on now, rather than at the end, like I did with the Russian M3. I normally prefer to leave tracks off until the end so I can weather the lower hull more easily. Doing the M3 that way was problematic though due to the ill-fitting link and length tracks. I was expecting the same issues here so I decided to glue the tracks on now, despite that hampering the painting/weathering later on.

I'd already built up the top runs with the supplied jig, and I glued the indi links straight onto the idler and sprocket. I gave all of them, and the lower hull and suspension, a coat of black, then glued them all in place.

25192109217_e47d918cce_b.jpg

I then built up the lower runs and, as expected, I ended up with the same gap, which is slightly less than one full link. The funny thing is, building up the runs as indicated in the instructions uses all the tracks sections that Takom supply on the main track sprue. There are however a couple of extra links included rather randomly on one of the other sprues, although they're not mentioned in the instructions. I do wonder if Takom found the track error on a test build and added the extra links as a remedy.

40031571322_6ddc469519_b.jpg

Either way, the extra link won't fit as it comes. I'll need to trim it down slightly, as also trim a little of the links either side of it until it will drop into place. Since it's on the bottom corner the skinny link shouldn't show. It didn't on the Lee anyway, and I did that the same way.

Once the extra links are in place I'll spray them black as well then glue them on. As I said, it'll make the final painting and weathering harder, but since this is a Sicilian Operation Husky vehicle, I'll be going with a dusty look rather than any heavy weathering, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

In other news, they're breeding... run for the hills :frantic:

40031569362_6fdb7185f9_b.jpg

• Like 14

So, while I've been getting the tracks sorted out, I've also been tinkering with the figure. The arms that were intended for the figure I'm using wouldn't fit due to where he's sitting on the tank. I've used the arms from one of the other figures in the set, although they needed some hacking and re-sculpting to get them to fit this body. I preferred the original ones, as they'd got rolled up sleeves and looked more casual, but the replacement ones will do.

The problem I've got at the moment is with the replacement Hornet head. It looks a little over-scale to the body, although in truth I suspect it's more a case of the body being slightly under-scale. The discrepancy isn't huge but it's noticeable to me, although it might be less so when it's painted. I could use the head that came with the figure set, but the detail isn't anywhere close to the resin one, plus I've bought the Hornet ones now and I hate buying stuff and not using it. I guess he'll just have to be Big Bonced Bob

26221631708_18bf8b526f_b.jpg

39384513934_49519b8fe6_b.jpg

40096023061_54b6a90bee_b.jpg

• Like 4

To the casual viewer, it looks fine. It's only if you stare at it that it looks slightly on the large side, but then, that could just be imagination. Stare at something for long enough and you can convince yourself of anything. If anything, it's probably the head gear doing it. Once painted, it probably won't notice.

John.

• Like 1

A normal adult figure, standing upright, should be between 7 and 8 heads high.

To me, that figure looks about 6 1/2 heads high - i.e. he has a short body, or a large head :(

I hope he paints up well, but I fear he'll never look quite right

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

To me, that figure looks about 6 1/2 heads high - i.e. he has a short body, or a large head :(

You just described a lot of the lads that I knew in the army.:D

John.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure once you've worked your magic on the rest of the model, the size of Bob's head will be the last thing on anyones mind.  ;)

So tell me more of this second hull.....I is intrigued!  B)

PS - Bob definitely has short legs, maybe you could give him height boosting surgery above & below the knee?  :shrug:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Pretty sure once you've worked your magic on the rest of the model, the size of Bob's head will be the last thing on anyones mind.  ;)

PS - Bob definitely has short legs, maybe you could give him height boosting surgery above & below the knee?  :shrug:

The leg extension would probably help, but I've got him to fit pretty well to the hull so I didn't want to make any alterations to the pose. However, I think I've found a far simpler solution.

I'd picked the first head purely because I liked the look of it, and I hadn't really looked that closely at the other heads that came in the Hornet set. It occurred to me that the others might not all be the same size and, after a quick check, I found that two of the others were noticeably smaller so I've gone with one of those. It might still be a little too big but not as much as the first one

39237073735_23a0e7c6b5_b.jpg

39237075535_20504942f3_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So tell me more of this second hull.....I is intrigued!  B)

Yes, that one was a little unexpected. As some will know, I do kit reviews on another site, and the review copies usually come straight from the manufacturers. I generally know what's being sent beforehand but sometimes something turns up out of the blue. I had a parcel delivered a couple of weeks ago, and I was expecting it to be the Miniart Flettner Kolibri, but it turned out to be from Takom and was another M31, so it looks like I'll be building two:shrug:

I'm not doing all this work again though, so the review one will very definitely be OOB. It does mean I'll be able to do the OD/ black camo 'Invader' as well as 'Georgia' now though

39237071265_3033cd1260_b.jpg

I've finally finished the inside of the fake gun door as well. It's hard to tell exactly what was on the inside from the few photos that show it open, so I've just added some basic framing, a handle and simplified sliding latch, and the extinguisher

39424144654_7b2d595110_b.jpg

It'll only be slightly ajar anyway, so you won't see all that much

39237067405_92d2ff8de3_b.jpg

I've just ordered some AK olive drab from their real colour range which should be here in a couple of days, so hopefully I might get some paint on over the weekend

• Like 3

Sorry to keep banging on about the figure size, but just to illustrate what I mean, we had an SDS rider who was no more than five feet 2 inches, and a linesman who was about six feet four. Now you are never going to see those sort of figures in a set, because someone one will say that they are not to scale. Tell that to their mums!!

John.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Now you are never going to see those sort of figures in a set, because someone one will say that they are not to scale. Tell that to their mums!!

Yes, you're absolutely right John. Most modelling tends to be fairly generic, and never really matches the variety and quirkiness you get in real life.

It's not just figures either. I've seen plenty of examples of unusual weathering or dirt accumulation on real vehicles that I would never try to reproduce on a model because people would see it as unrealistic.

• Like 3