M31 Recovery Vehicle

Andy Moore

Still playing about with the stowage. It's now sprouted a bit of string to represent rope coiled around the stowage bin and ladder. There are a few stray fibres on it that will need removing, and it'll have some more stains and weathering. I've also added a tow cable to the brackets down the side of the hull. You don't get a cable with the kit, but you do get a moulded cable coil that's left over from the regular M3 kit and isn't used with the M31. I cut the cable eyes from that, drilled them out and stuck them to each end of a length of Eureka copper cable. It was primed before I added it, but it will still need some more painting and weathering.

40789458292_42d73600eb_b.jpg

The wooden crate and jerry cans have been added to the back, along with a couple of lengths of timber. I imagine these vehicles would pick up all sorts of bits and pieces to use as unditching boards, chocks, ramps and such. I might add a few more later on

40789456882_7e4646ba16_b.jpg

There was a bit of string left from the length I'd stained for the coil around the ladder, so that was bundled up and stuck on top of the hull

40789455022_1c69cd8f0f_b.jpg

There may be more odds and ends added. I'll see what I can dig up.

Andy:cat:

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 8

There are a few stray fibres on it that will need removing

Can I suggest a quick pass over with a lighter or similar controlled naked flame would be the quickest and easiest way of removing those stray fibres? Should work a treat, trust me.

• Like 1

Just WOW ! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but that wood on the ladder, the box or even the planks... just amazing !!!! So lifelike !! 

Very nice touch with the rope too.

Seriously good job Andy !

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 23:33, Nigel Heath said:

Can I suggest a quick pass over with a lighter or similar controlled naked flame would be the quickest and easiest way of removing those stray fibres? Should work a treat, trust me.

Cheers Nigel. I'll do that next time. I'm not going to risk it on this, as I'll probably set fire to the model knowing me. I should have done it before putting the rope in place. I've managed to pick off most of the loose strands with tweezers though, so it should be okay now.

• Like 1

I'm going to wrap this one up now. I've been toying with it over the last few days. but in the end the only extra bits I've added are a couple more tarps and, of course, the bucket. I had vague plans to add some other tools and odds and ends, but I think it'd just end up looking cluttered, so I'm going to leave it at this.

I was originally intending to give the bucket an enamelled finish, but in the end I went with a galvanised look

27073666408_3eaf3c8034_b.jpg

Bob's had his head removed, and repositioned looking forward. The pose looked a little more interesting that way. You can also see one of the additional tarps around the base of the crane jib. I was originally intending to place it folded over the top of the jib, behind the spare sprockets and under the cable, as I'd seen a photo of an M31 with a tarp stowed there. The gap was a bit too tight to get it in place without tearing the delicate tissue though, so I ended up draping it around the base

27073664678_863d3dba85_b.jpg

So, with those changes, I'm going to call it done. Thanks to everyone who's followed along, and thanks for all the suggestions, comments and encouragement. It's been a great GB to take part in. Special thanks to @Sgt.Squarehead for inviting me onboard and for organising the whole thing. I'll get some finished shots up in the gallery later.

40236372794_f636aab41e_b.jpg

• Like 10

On 21/03/2018 at 11:12 PM, AndyRM101 said:

I was originally intending to give the bucket an enamelled finish, but in the end I went with a galvanised look

Hello Andy,

how did you achieve that galvanised finish ?

No need to say that the model is amazing ... I really like the weathering.

Cheers, E

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Etienne said:

how did you achieve that galvanised finish ?

Hi Etienne,

The galvanised effect was quite basic really. The bucket was base coated with Alcald aluminium, then a black Vallejo wash was sponged over it to give the galvanised look. I finished it off with some general weathering using enamel washes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Hi Etienne,

The galvanised effect was quite basic really. The bucket was base coated with Alcald aluminium, then a black Vallejo wash was sponged over it to give the galvanised look. I finished it off with some general weathering using enamel washes.

Basic but very effective !! Thanks for the tip, Andy ... E