1/32 Roden Albatros DI

Happy New Year all -

My first post for 2018!

Started work on this one before Christmas and had time over the festive season to devote more time to the build.    Just completed after the Bank Holiday.

Mostly built OOB with some help from an after market PE set for seat belts, ignition wiring, perforated MG jackets and a few inspection hatches.    Finished with the good old hairy stick with very minimal weathering.   For those who have built a Roden kit before knows, they can be a bit on the fiddly side especially when getting the interior in.   Lost of dry fitting is the order of the day before commiting to glue.  Rigged mostly with 3lb fishing line with elastic thread for aileron cables and stretched sprue for elevator cables.  Turnbuckles simulated with heat stretched cotton bud handles.

A couple of mistakes in the build which I had to correct so not my best  but certainly not my worst build either.

sXKvTs2.jpg

ShNIE7P.jpg

Iv1tGR5.jpg

zeta5KM.jpg

rxEw0rY.jpg

7gglALl.jpg

cffQBto.jpg

Ob9IGZq.jpg

qrOXANZ.jpg

ldIcxvo.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 26

That is well up to your usual very high standards Dave. Absolutely nothing to criticize there - rather the finish is top notch as per usual. The rigging is excellent too especially as you were using line and turnbuckles (which I know is easier in the larger scales, but still far from easy!)

Looking forward to seeing this for real.

P

• Like 1

"A couple of mistakes in the build which I had to correct so not my best....."

Well I think after staring some time at the photos I spotted that the pointing in the brick work behind could be better but as for the Albi its great!  Lovely job.  Rigging makes me shy away from biplanes and I wish i could get a tutorial of someone like you that does a great job of it!

Thanks for showing and inspiring

John

• Haha 1

Thank you kindly folks

Regarding rigging -  this is the most fiddly part of a biplane build but is certainly not difficult to do once you understand how to approach it.  I only learnt by researching methods on the web.  I have then simply experimented over time till I found the method that works for me.  My favourite method is to drill through the wing and pull thread through as I find this more straightforward.   One thing you do need is a good rigging plan usually although not always included in kit instructions.  Pre-drilling all the holes is the most tedious bit!  I am happy to give help if you want to give rigging a go so please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards

Dave

2 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Pre-drilling all the holes is the most tedious bit! 

Tell me about it!  Try this with a BE2c, or a twin-bay biplane with double flying wires...oy vey...It feels like you are drilling for hours, which you might be.

I think the new-mould Airfix BE2 took me about 2 hours to drill all the holes, including fuselage, tail feathers, etc...

6 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

My favourite method is to drill through the wing and pull thread through as I find this more straightforward.

Mine too.  I use a jig to give some height to the aircraft and use forceps to give the line some tension, then CA...Unless I am using stretched sprue,  Ethicon stainless steel or EZLine.  I find EZLine problematic as it tends to curl up at the sight of CA.  More often than not, I will use a combination of these on a particularly rig-heavy build.  Now...if I could find 1/72nd scale turnbuckles...;)

• Haha 1

Nice Work ! The Albatross is one my favorite's of the WWI crates.The thing I think alot of A/c modelers never realize is that the WWI crates were so colorful esp the Germans and the French planes. ;) Kevin

• Like 1

Thanks, chaps

Forgot to mention that I pinned all the control surfaces as they are pretty weak if just glued on.

Regards

Dave