Amodel: DH Comet 4B Olympic

Olympic did have a couple of schemes at least where the blue changed. I've seen a postcard where the blue was quite light. They also had a run in with the Olympic organisation over the Rings on the fin over copyright  infringement. They either knocked a ring off or added one, can't remember. Haven't seen the one you have.. Got a link please?

I'm aware of the chromatic issues with film in the '60s (and probably before) that used lighten blue. The classic case is, of the Midland ('blue') Pullman which in a whole slew of photos (including pro shot ones) appears mid-blue. When in fact Nanking blue the colour it was painted in was quite dark in reality. Even taking that into account the Amodel decals look a tad dark to me, or have Amodel got it right?

I fancy getting a cheap Airfix Comet of eBay to have a gander at thier decals.

Thomo.

That does look dark but if you take BOAC blue..It was all over the place.. It could morph to almost black. Get AVTUR on it and it changed, call it weathering, Rainbow shades after queueing behind Piston engine Douglas and Lockheed kites.

4 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I fancy getting a cheap Airfix Comet of eBay to have a gander at thier decals.

Thomo.

Be aware that there is a 10mm difference in length between the Airfix kit and the Amodel version.  I've never seen the Amodel kit but the difference in length is discussed in this earlier BM thread.  Skippiebg's opinions are usually worth heeding and he seems to suggest that the whole kit is underscale.  As I said, I have no personal experience of the Amodel kit but you may find that decals designed for other kits will not fit it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Be aware that there is a 10mm difference in length between the Airfix kit and the Amodel version.

Thanks,

I'm aware of that. The Amodel kit is only underscale in fuselage length, it is 4C in length  and is easy to correct - everything else is perfect for a 4B and is  a quantum leap better than the Airfix kit.

Thomo.

9 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Thanks,

I'm aware of that. The Amodel kit is only underscale in fuselage length, it is 4C in length  and is easy to correct - everything else is perfect for a 4B and is  a quantum leap better than the Airfix kit.

Thomo.

Cheers Thomo. That's worth knowing when I run out of Airfix Comets!

My Dads got that Lincoln Imp on a Squadron Badge (piece of a/c Skin) off a scrapped Avro Lincoln he used to fly in, Flt Eng. Its hanging on his Garage wall !

9 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

My Dads got that Lincoln Imp on a Squadron Badge (piece of a/c Skin) off a scrapped Avro Lincoln he used to fly in, Flt Eng. Its hanging on his Garage wall !

My avatar is the club badge of LCFC, I'm not aware it was on any aeroplane as it was regarded as a sign of bad  luck.

Thomo.

1 minute ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

My avatar is the club badge of LCFC, I'm not aware it was on any aeroplane as it was regarded as a sign of bad  luck.

My dad is with me right now, 90 this month.. He said.. Luck..Depends which Squadron you were on ! 61 Sqn was good enough for me and 55,57,60 etc. !

But football wise you are probably right !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Taking this thread wildly off topic. The tradtional Imp as displayed in my avatar, has only returned to the Imps shirt in the last 18 months - a couple or decades back, an evengelical womens magazine ran a campaign to have LCFC to remove the Imp from the team shirts because it was an agent of the devil (which in mythology it is) after the club were involved in the Bradford fire and the David Longhurst incidents, also it is heavily featured in the horror film Brimstone and Treacle. The club regretfully bowed to the pressure eventually and replaced it with the City of Lincoln coat of arms. The Imp returned at the start of the 16/17 season and the club had it most succesful season in living memory.

Right, lets get back to talking about Olympic Comet 4Bs.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 3

I do like a sports fan's knowledge of their club's history. It's in the blood, just how it should be ! Nobody who saw it on live TV will ever forget the Bradford City fire.

RIP

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Don’t forget that some of Olympic’s Comets made it to Channe Airways

http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/4/4/9/1274944.jpg?v=v40

Trevor 

Yes, like many family's in the early '70s I flew on an ex Olympic Comet to Spain, when in Channel stewardship.

Thomo.

21 hours ago, bzn20 said:

I do like a sports fan's knowledge of their club's history. It's in the blood, just how it should be ! Nobody who saw it on live TV will ever forget the Bradford City fire.

RIP

The Stacey West (aka) the Railway end at Sincil Bank is named after two of the Imps fan that died that day.

Sincil Bank is these days overlooked by the Bomber Command memorial that sits on top of Canwick hill, behind the ground. The Imps still come out to the Dambuster March on home match days.

Thomo.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2018 at 8:53 PM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Thanks,

Thomo.

The Amodel fuselage length is closest to the short fuselage Comet 4, the 4B (as used by Olympic) and the 4C both had the same lengthened fuselage as depicted by the fuselage in the Airfix kit.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2018 at 2:57 PM, bzn20 said:

Olympic did have a couple of schemes at least where the blue changed. I've seen a postcard where the blue was quite light. They also had a run in with the Olympic organisation over the Rings on the fin over copyright  infringement. They either knocked a ring off or added one, can't remember. Haven't seen the one you have.. Got a link please?

Not so I'm afraid as regards the Comet. The decal colour looks bang-on to me  ' Navy Blue'. They had two schemes on the Comet, first with 'Olympic Airways' titles and later with just enlarged 'Olympic' titles, which also appeared on the wings  (the decal gives you both options). The cheatline colour remained the same throughout. The postcard you refer to has been coloured in by an artist in anticipation of the livery change, which was never applied to the Comets.

Edited by AMB

9 minutes ago, AMB said:

blue was quite light

Hi Adrian..The Lighter Blue I saw was on an early Olympic issued Comet postcard ,you might have it. I wasn't sure if it was a printing error or a proposed scheme that literally didn't take off.

2 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Hi Adrian..The Lighter Blue I saw was on an early Olympic issued Comet postcard ,you might have it. I wasn't sure if it was a printing error or a proposed scheme that literally didn't take off.

2 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

That's the one - should be ignored for an accurate reference!  Olympic later adopted a version of that scheme in the '80s, long after the Comets had gone.  

1 hour ago, AMB said:

should be ignored

That's the reason I've never bid on one...Didn't like the look of it !

On 11/02/2018 at 15:17, bzn20 said:

The photochromatic emulsions and inks used in '60s photos and prints are notoriously unreliable references, particularly with respect to blue.

Thomo.

• Like 1