More X-planes

There's always something very appealing about themed collections in a constant scale. Maybe it is because they are carefully curated miniature aircraft museum. Great stuff, and thanks for sharing. Wouldn't mind seeing closer photos of some of those rarer aircraft!

Will

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Wouldn't mind seeing closer photos of some of those rarer aircraft!

Which ones would you like to see?

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Ooh I know this one! Is “All of them” the answer?

I agree - but you could start with the XP-87. Is that the Eagles Talon vacform? I have one of these in the stash and would like to know of any problems.

John

PS. Many of mine in the cabinet have already appeared in RFI if you feel a need to know more. Use Google rather than the Britmodeller search function. Look for 'John R', 'Britmodeller' and the a/c you want to see or 'Early jets' or 'John's prototypes'

The XP-87 is the Olimp/Pro Resin resin kit. No issues that I can recall other then it just barely sits on the nose wheel even with all the weight I could possibly squeeze into the node. I'll post more pictures later this morning 

28 minutes ago, hsr said:

No issues that I can recall other then it just barely sits on the nose wheel even with all the weight I could possibly squeeze into the node.

One trick I use often is to glue wheel chocks on the main gear tyres to prevent tail-sitting. When I built my F7F Tigercat, I had lead weights everywhere and she was still a tail-sitter. The wheel chocks work like a charm. I've tried this on a kit with no weight at all up front, and it still works nicely. Of course, you have to find the correct wheel chocks for the aircraft being modelled - there's always something!

Cheers,

Bill

On 1/6/2018 at 9:08 AM, Navy Bird said:

One trick I use often is to glue wheel chocks on the main gear tyres to prevent tail-sitting. When I built my F7F Tigercat, I had lead weights everywhere and she was still a tail-sitter. The wheel chocks work like a charm. I've tried this on a kit with no weight at all up front, and it still works nicely. Of course, you have to find the correct wheel chocks for the aircraft being modelled - there's always something!

What I have done is to place a small shim undet the back of the shelf. This tilts the front down and this is usually enough to keep it on its nose :D

UqsrdusY_o.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

hsr,

what a MAGNIFICENT,SPECTACULAR   plethora of X planes.

your collection just makes ME smile as I look at the different array of X planes.:yikes:

lovely to see different WINGY THINGYS  other than the normal  ones WE see ..

I Commend and applaud on you STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS  collection.:wub:

KUDOS :worthy::worthy::worthy:

So when do you start the  

M2-F1, X-1. X-15, YFM-1, XA2D-1, XF10F-1, and XF5D-1.

:P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

So when do you start the  

M2-F1, X-1. X-15, YFM-1, XA2D-1, XF10F-1, and XF5D-1.

Like most people here I have a huge stash of unbuilt models. Probably unlike most my anal retentive nature causes me to organize them in chronological order of first flight. I am currently trying to work backwards from the present. Trying because I keep adding new things into the pile, like the UAVs I am working on. Given that and my average time per build I should be get to the M2-F1 in July, the X-15 and XF5D in August,  the XF10F in Sept., the XA2D in Nov., and the XF-91, which I just added, in Dec. Farther ahead then that I choose not to plan. We'll see how closely I can keep to this schedule.

Thanks for all the undeserved praise :) 

Here are the promised pictures. This was the Italeri kit and it was completed in July 2013. It was something of a bear to build; the fit was very bad and it require large amounts of filler. It is very large and tends to get broken when moved with the pitot tube, landing gear and vertical fins being the most vulnerable. Note that as was pointed out in another thread the tire side walls on the prototype were painted with a silver heat resistant paint. 

MdobQW8o_o.jpg

gqpc62xy_o.jpg

T0d2OkOR_o.jpg

kchE0Zbm_o.jpg

c2HJolyK_o.jpg

lyYDgdtu_o.jpg

czdm6NwV_o.jpg

gSopdhWP_o.jpg

• Like 3

What I find interesting is that when I reentered the hobby as an adult in the 70s you could hardly find any models available exception main WW 2 leaders and some common jets, mostly in 1/48 scale. Now all of these somewhat obscure aircraft are available and in multiple scales. 

Two wondrous 1:72 experimentals collections! I've done a few myself (I'll try posting some photos as I get the display cases moved from the garage to the lower story). I shudder to think what you will face in terms of dust accumulation, however. The glass case in the second collection is very similar to one I just bought a couple months back. So far it has done a fine job of keeping things un-dusty. Display storage has been quite an issue for me. Well, with 500+ completed models since 1985 you might expect that....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, king of men said:

I shudder to think what you will face in terms of dust accumulation,

What makes it worse is that particular display is in the room where I do all my sanding so it really builds up. I have thought of glass cases, or class doors on my display cases I have built (see my profile photo), but there are all of these wings on the bigger stuff that want to stick out. Once or twice a year I'll go over them all with a soft brush. 

6 minutes ago, king of men said:

Well, with 500+ completed models since 1985 you might expect that....

You have me there. I am only up to 485 since ~1978