More X-planes

Because of issues with Village Photo no longer being "secure" I have been moving all my pictures to another server and when I go to this thread I realized that the pictures were out of date. So here is the latest.

Here is the whole X-plane display

Zcj9IMZ5_o.jpg

The shorter set of shelves on the left are the real X planes i.e. aircraft built specifically to test aeronautical theories and never intended to go into production. The 2 sets to right are what I refer to as the "also rans"; Aircraft that made it to the prototype stage but for one reason or another did not go into full production. Perhaps a better term is just "Prototypes. This set is not all inclusive but, contains aircraft that I thought, looked interesting, were actually put into production, at least on papaer and then were cancelled, or were significant in some technical aspect.

So lets take a closer look at each. In all cases the order is from right to left, top to bottom they are in chronological order of first flight starting with the oldest.

Starting with the real X-planes:

v7gzLFOP_o.jpg

The top shelf is empty for now but will fill out over time. Starting with the next shelf down there is: Douglass D-558-2, Northron X-4 Bantam, Bell X-5, Bell X-2 Starbuster, Douglas X-3 Stillet, Bell X-1A,. Next shelf: Bell X-14, Ryan X-13 Verijet, North American X-15A-2, the then Dryden Flight Research Center M2-F1, Northrop M2-F2, Northrop HL-10, Martin-Marietta X-24A and Northrop M2-F3. The bottom shelf has: Martin-Marietta X-24B, Grumman X-29, Rockwell-MBB X-31, Boeing Bird of Prey, Boeing X-36, Boeing X-32, Lockheed-Martin X-35, and Northrop Grumman X-47B

Now for the first set of Prototypes.

pKwRpKWj_o.jpg

Again the top shelf is empty for expansion. Starting with the top row from left to right they are: Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket Vultee XP-54 Swoose, Douglas BTD Destroyer, Bell XP-77, Douglas XB--42 Mixmaster, and Beechcraft XA-38 Grizzly. Next row:Consolidated-Vultee XP-81, Curtiss XF15C-1 Stingaree, Douglas XTB2D-1 SkyPirate,  Northrop XP-79B, and the Edo XOSE-1. Next row: Curtiss XP-55 Ascender. Row 2: Douglas XA2D-1 Skyshark, Grumman XF10F-1 Jaguar, Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart, Bell HSL-1,  Convair XFY-1 Pogo, and Lockheed XFV-1. Bottom row: North American XB-70 and Grumman F-111B.

Finally the second set of Prototypes

fkDWgCAV_o.jpg

Again starting from the top:  Curtiss XP-55 Ascender, Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet, Fischer P-75A Eagle, and McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat. Next row:  Goodyear F2G-1 Super Corsair, Vultee XA-41 and Boeing F8B. Next row is the Northrop XB-35 Flying Wing.  Row 4: Curtiss XP-87 Black Hawk (trying to take off) , McDonnell XF-85 Goblin, Vought F7U-1 Cutless, Republic XF-91 Thundercepter and Martin XB-51. Row 5: Martin P6M-2 Seamaster. Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer. North American. F-107A Ultra Sabre , and Vought XF8U-3 Crusader III. Row 6: Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne, Sikorsky S-67 Black Hawk (not to be confused with the Sikorsky S-60 Blackhawk) , General Dynamics F-16XL, Northrop F-20 Tigershark, Northrop YF-23 Black Widow II and Boeing-Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche.

As you can see there are a few spaces to be filled so stay tuned for updates.

• Like 54

Wow- a better collection than the Air Force Museum's! Impressive! Other than the undercart, how did the Anigrand Grizzly build go? I have one, but have yet to start it. No Hughes XF-11?

Mike

• Thanks 1

With only few exceptions I have usually been happy with my Anigrand builds I built the Grizzly over 2 years ago and given my advanced age I don't remember many details, but I also don't remember any major issues. The landing gear is partly my problem. A whole string of previous builds had tricycle landing gear, so I just automatically added weight to the nose before it dawned on me that it was a tail draggier.:banghead: I am sure that contributed to the problem. The XF-11, while a fine aircraft, just doesn't do anything for me.

Hi hsr,

Really great collection! I really think that Seamaster is spectacular!

One of these days, I'll have to see if I can get some more of mine posted up...

I hope everyone else posts theirs as well!

Ed

• Thanks 1

Thanks. The Seamaster is the Mach 2 version. I bought my kit on EBay, which was a mistake since the kit is still in production. What I got had all of the airplane parts loose and off the sprues, but otherwise unmolested, while all the beaching gear was still on the sprue but sprayed with a heavy coat of yellow paint.  I also found that the canopy was missing. I immediately sent an e-mail to Mach 2 requesting a replacement. I wrote this in English and then used Google translate to translate it to French and I sent both versions. I always thought that most aircraft terms were French words, such as fuselage, empennage, ailerons, and canopy. Google thought that also and translated canopy to canopy. But apparently this is incorrect since I quickly got an email back asking what part was the canopy and where it went on the plane and could I draw a picture. I sent a picture of the part that I found in a review and while I still don’t know the correct French term they quickly sent me off a replacement one and it arrived before I absolutely needed it so I could paint the upper half blue.

Edited by hsr
  • Like 1

Great stuff from a man after my own heart. There is a lot there that I would like to have.

Here is my collection. It's biased more towards British, European and Russian a/c. I am reaching the point where I have to stop building models and make a new cupboard! It does contain quite a few 'ordinary' a/c built before I decided to concentrate on experimentals and prototypes of jet and rocket a/c.

Cupboard%20top_zpsz05dsdyb.jpg

Cupboard%20bottom_zpshl0k6hrh.jpg

John

• Like 13

A fantastic array of X-Planes.  I particularly like the lifting bodies and Jack Northrop's flying wings.  The XB-51 really catches the eye too as, of course, does the Valkyrie.  Great stuff.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John R said:

Great stuff from a man after my own heart. There is a lot there that I would like to have.

Here is my collection. It's biased more towards British, European and Russian a/c. I am reaching the point where I have to stop building models and make a new cupboard! It does contain quite a few 'ordinary' a/c built before I decided to concentrate on experimentals and prototypes of jet and rocket a/c.

Cupboard%20top_zpsz05dsdyb.jpg

Cupboard%20bottom_zpshl0k6hrh.jpg

John

A superb collection.  What really shines out, literally, is the P.1A.  I really want one.  I've built Whirlybirds P-1B but haven't been able to find a kit of the 'A'.  Could you tell me which kit it is? I'm assuming it's 1/72.

P.S.  I really like the Griffon too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkSH said:

do you let your other half dust them? I don't anymore!!

No, unfortunately that means that no one does since I am too busy building.

6 hours ago, John R said:

Very nice, puts mine to shame :worthy:

Edited by hsr
proof read, proof read
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John R said:

Meatbox8 - It's an Airfix F3 with Aeroclub vacform fuselage. Everything in there is 1/72.

The Griffon was a nightmare to build.

John

Thanks for the speedy response.  I've got a set of Airfix F.3 wings lying around somewhere.  Perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and attempt a vacform (shudder). 

21 minutes ago, hsr said:

Very nice, buts mine to shame :worthy:

No way! But if we could arrange a merger that would be some collection as there are not many duplicates.

21 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Thanks for the speedy response.  I've got a set of Airfix F.3 wings lying around somewhere.  Perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and attempt a vacform (shudder). 

I thought that Whirlykits did a P1a and I thought Pro-resin have had one on their 'to do' list for some time.

I don't know where you would get the Aeroclub vacform from unless you could persuade Aeroclub to make one for you. I saw one on Ebay last year go for £37!

John

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, John R said:

No way! But if we could arrange a merger that would be some collection as there are not many duplicates.

I thought that Whirlykits did a P1a and I thought Pro-resin have had one on their 'to do' list for some time.

I don't know where you would get the Aeroclub vacform from unless you could persuade Aeroclub to make one for you. I saw one on Ebay last year go for £37!

John

I think the P1B was originally Project X and the moulds were taken over by Whirlybird.  Can't quite remember now.  I still have the T.4/5 kit in the stash in its original brown cardboard box with the original maker's name on the label.

Ooops.  Just remembered I use the box for their Lightning F.1 for keeping bits in.  It was actually Protojets who originally released it, not Project X.

Edited by Meatbox8