Navy Bird's Complete Waste of Time 2017

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

2017 was an interesting year. Not as much modelling as I would have liked, but at least I finished a few things. Life got in the way again, with the usual assortment of maladies that keep you away from the bench. Every year I promise to do better...

So what exactly did I accomplish this past year?

1:72 Hawker Sea Harrier FRS.1 (completed February 2017)

Fujimi/Hasegawa

You know, for a guy who calls himself Navy Bird it's amazing that I didn't have a Sea Harrier in my collection. However, I had a couple of kits in the stash, so it was time to get to work. As this project progressed, it quickly became a kitbash between the Fujimi and Hasegawa Sea Harrier kits. Fujimi supplied the fuselage and wings, while Hasegawa provided the canopy, nose landing gear strut, tyres, Aden gun pods, Sidewinder missiles, anti-collision light, drop tanks, and miscellaneous sundries. I scratch built the intake blow-in doors, nose gear well, and the canopy detonator box. The aftermarket supplied a resin cockpit, resin outriggers, resin nozzles, turned metal pitot probe and AoA sensor, and a whole bunch of photoetch. Oddly, none of the aftermarket accessories were designed for either of the two kits.

Click here for the RFI post with complete details of improvements and modifications.

IMG_1037

IMG_1044

IMG_1050

IMG_1026

1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 (completed April 2017)

Airfix

I chose to model XH134, who wore the retirement scheme that truly marked the "End of an Era." Ashley Keates, who designed the stunning scheme, even stopped by the WIP thread for a visit. I decided to use the much-maligned "new tool" Airfix PR.9 kit and correct some of the major deficiencies along the way. I thought at first that I might do a bit of a kitbash with the Xtrakit model, but eventually I decided to save that kit for another day. Building the Airfix kit, and correcting many of its foobars was, shall we say - a bit challenging.

Click here for the RFI post with details of improvements and modifications (it's a long list).

IMG_1231

IMG_1236

IMG_1246

(Yes, the pilot in the previous photo is indeed reading a copy of Zoo magazine. I think there's a requirement for this at Flight School.)

IMG_1225

1:72 Grumman/General Dynamics F-111B (completed November 2017)

Hasegawa/Revell/Pete's Hangar

This is a conversion of the 1:72 Hasegawa F-111C/G kit, with quite a few modifications necessary to represent F-111B BuNo 151972 as she appeared during Phoenix missile testing at Hughes Aircraft. As I'm sure you're aware, the F-111B was an attempt to develop a version of the USAF F-111 "TFX" to meet the US Navy's fleet defense requirement. Only seven F-111Bs were built, and they differed from each other in many ways. The subject of my model also differed significantly from the Australian F-111C on which I based the conversion. Nevertheless, it was probably the easiest way to do it. The special logos on the tail, depicting the mythical Phoenix, were created in CorelDraw and printed on my inkjet printer, along with the BuNo and many of the stencils.

Click here for the RFI post and a complete description of the conversion, the kit modifications and other improvements.

IMG_1400

IMG_1407

IMG_1430

IMG_1412

1:72 Curtiss Wright XF15C-1 (completed December 2017)

Pro Resin (Olimp)

The Curtiss-Wright XF15C-1 mixed-propulsion fighter was developed for the United States Navy at the end of WWII, first flying in February of 1945. Only three prototypes were built, as the US Navy moved their focus to pure jet propulsion. One of the prototypes has survived. Similar to the Ryan FR Fireball, which entered service on a limited basis, the XF15C-1 had both a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial engine/Curtiss Electric propeller up front and an Alis-Chalmers J36 turbojet (license built de Havilland Goblin) under the tail. The model uses the nicely cast Pro Resin kit from Olimp, and was pretty much built out of the box. I used decals from the Island of Misfit Stickers, as I found those in the kit unusable. You gotta love these aircraft from the 1950s, especially if they're Dark Sea Blue (or Extra Dark Sea Grey of course). This was the last Curtiss aircraft built for the US Navy.

Click here for the RFI post.

IMG_1541

IMG_1532

IMG_1551

IMG_1536

1:72 Lockheed F-104N Starfighter (completed December 2017)

Hasegawa

The model was built as a tribute to Joe Walker, who was one of the "Right Stuff" test pilots at Edwards during the 50s and 60s. Joe flew just about every rocket powered X plane there was back then, including several flights in the X-15 that reached altitudes high enough to earn him his astronaut wings. Joe unfortunately lost his life flying this F-104 in a mid-air collision with the XB-70 Valkyrie bomber. This occurred during, of all things, an unauthorised marketing photo shoot for General Electric. In an effort to maintain a tight formation with the XB-70 immediately to his port side, he encountered severe turbulence from the vortices off the Valkyrie's wingtip, which was a little-understood phenomenon at the time. The turbulence was so severe that it flipped the F-104 onto its back, and sent it rolling to port and into one of the vertical fins of the XB-70. Joe was killed instantly. He had radioed in when he first felt the turbulence, saying that he didn't support the mission as it had no scientific value. True words from a true hero. The XB-70 was also lost that day, and only one of its two crew members was able to eject. And all because the marketing guys wanted a nice picture for a shareholder's report. Sad beyond words.

Click here for the RFI post for more details.

IMG_1630

IMG_1627

IMG_1640

jaw

Now, some of you may have noticed a rather big gap between April and November when I did not complete any models. Whilst this is true, I was able to complete something much more important. Back in late 2014, I embarked on Chapter 2 of my fight with cancer. Here I am at infusion number one in November of that year:

WP_20141114_001

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!   :)

This past summer, after more than two years of treatments, I am once again in remission. For this, I will give up a few model completions! Hopefully, these buggers won't try and come back yet again, and 2018 will see a resumption in my "normal" activities. Today I started immunoglobulin therapy which also requires infusion, but it's not that dreaded chemo and has no real side effects. Other than getting my immune system back to where it should be, of course. Here's to a healthy and happy New Year.

Peace, love, & The Beatles,

Bill

• Like 35

Very pleased to hear you're in remission. Best wishes for the ret of the treatment and a long and cancer-free future.

Despite the medical issues you've done some fantastic modelling in the last year. Hard to pick a favourite but I think it's the F-104.

• Like 1

It may be a small tally for the year, but each of them is perfectly formed. Love that they are all 'clean' airframes and yet look truly lifelike - a testament to your subtle eye and deft touch!

The SHAR is a real beauty!

I wish you well and hope for a long and productive future for you.

Kev

• Like 1

I certainly didn't waste my time watching this lovely collection of perfectly rendered birds :clap: Some of which I also followed the WIP threads, entertaining and educational as always :worthy:

Speaking of WIP, I can hardly wait to you resuming work on a certain Spitfire... :whistle:

All my best for 2018 :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Bill, every year you call it your waste of time and every year I struggle to agree. This year is no different - they're all beauties, I especially like that F-111B.

Am I right in understanding that GE were quietly dropped from Pentagon tender processes as the repercussions from Joe Walkers accident rumbled on? Or is that urban mythology.

Congrats on beating the cancer (lymphoma?) - I must admit, your productivity throughout has been outstanding - I used modelling as a mental diversion through mine but my attention span was that of a goldfish. I started about  8 or 9 assorted models and only finished 2 - and they were only right at the very beginning - good on you mate!

ATB
Rick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, modelman182 said:

It may be a small tally for the year, but each of them is perfectly formed. Love that they are all 'clean' airframes and yet look truly lifelike - a testament to your subtle eye and deft touch!

Thanks - I've been slowing moving away from heavily weathered models, not sure why. Probably because it's so easy to overdo it, although there are many here who can do it to perfection. A lot of my recent models have been prototypes, anniversary schemes, and/or special paint jobs, and these tend to not have been weathered in real life. I'm finding I like that a lot more. I ruined a Spitfire once by making the panel lines look like they were filled with tar (I read about it in the newsletter of the Modelling Technique of the Month Club) - won't do that again!   :)

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Speaking of WIP, I can hardly wait to you resuming work on a certain Spitfire... :whistle:

Thanks, Giorgio. I look forward to following your builds as well - I think I have a Phantom project looming, so I'll be needing your advice on that one. Oh, yeah, the Spitfire - you mean the big one? Pretty sure that will return to the workbench in 2018.

37 minutes ago, Spad said:

Am I right in understanding that GE were quietly dropped from Pentagon tender processes as the repercussions from Joe Walkers accident rumbled on? Or is that urban mythology.

I haven't heard (or read) that one, but I believe there were several (four?) Air Force brass that lost their commissions over it. One article I read made it seem like the USAF guys who allowed the photo shoot in the first place tried to blame it on Walker (who of course couldn't defend himself) but I don't know if that's true. The aircraft that was flying off the XB-70's port wingtip was a Phantom, a much heavier aircraft than the F-104 and one with significantly larger wings. Clearly the F-4 and F-104 reacted differently to the turbulence off the wingtips - but I'm not an aerodynamicist so I can't speculate on that. In any event, a tragic and needless accident.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Very glad to hear you're doing okay Bill. It might not have been a bumper year in terms of numbers of completed kits, but the quality is, as always, what most of the rest of us can only hope to aim for.

Here's to a happy and productive 2018 :cheers:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

As always, Bill, your work is superb, both in research and execution. Much more important is being in remission from lymphoma - we're very glad to hear about that, and hope that the immunoglobulin is entirely successful. All around, it sounds like a pretty good year!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the good wishes.   :)

Now, about the title of my annual yearbooks. As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a bit of a Monty Python fan (your mother was a hamster!). One of my favourite video games to play on my PC way back when was a game called "Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time."

waste

The fact that the warning stated that the game had no redeeming feature whatsoever, I thought it would be right up my alley! I never did get to the end and solve the secret to intergalactic success, though. Sigh.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

As always Bill, your models are absolutely stunningly beautiful. There may only be a few but they are superb! :worthy::worthy: :worthy::worthy:

Wishing you a Very Happy and Healthy New Year! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hello Bill !

First Congrats are about the fight against that ugly crab ! Good news that you're the winner !!

Then, Congratulations for the models too, really interestings subjects and pretty enjoyable WiP !!

I'm very glad for you even if she changed me in a toad..... But I grew better !!

Seemingly, The Holy grail is a monument in itself, SWMBO did'nt understand how is this possible to laugh at this movie !

So it's time to let the pin loose on the saint grenade and burst a bottle of Champagne !!

Best wishes for 2018, let's waste our time together !! in Navy bits of plastic

Incidentaly, I've started the other Hybrid, I mean the Fireball ! My first vacu ermmm !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Bill, 

im as much in awe of your continued smile despite the journey you’ve had as your modelling skills, lovely build and a great tribute to Joe Walker 

happy New and hopefully healthy year to you :)

neil

• Like 1

Just now, Cookenbacher said:

A fantastic 2017 Bill, and so glad you defeated some evil cells along the way.

Phantom you say? That (and the Spitfire) is already making 2018 something for us Navy Bird fans to look forward to.

Agreed. I have at least two Phantom projects myself on the list (possibly a third when the Airfix kit is released),  so it's going to be an interesting 2018, Phantom-wise :)

Ciao

• Like 2