1/72 - Saunders-Roe SR.45 Princess by One Man Model (3D printed models) - released

Homebee

One Man Model (http://one-man-model.main.jp/index.html), the 3D printed model kit company, is currently working -  release expected in late 2018 - on a 1/72nd Saunders-Roe SR.45 Princess kit.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=715127102016957&id=100005590215920&pnref=story

In late 2018, I will release the Princess. I'm modelling little by little. I need nearly 10 months to complete prototyping as I have main job at present. If I quit the main job and concentrate on scale model, 2 to 3 new kits per year would be possible.

I will release the Princess by next December. 2-story interior include cockpit, passenger seat, galley, toilet, and stairs!! I can accept future reservation. If anyone who wants the kit, please tell me and I will add the list. But please remember that the parts are 3D printed ABS. It contain surface texture and small distortion. I will add sticker to cover texture as for gentle 2D surface.

26229765-715125935350407-717597784335898

26168535-715125932017074-681650018745653

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

This is where I go into a rant about the fact that there are many different 3D printing technologies that vary widely in how they create objects and, as a result, the fidelity of detail they are capable of producing.  

These parts are being produced on an FDM printer - basically a glorified hot glue gun mounted on a 2D plotter - so the parts will be *very* rough and require *substantial* effort to bring up to most modellers' standards.  At a minimum, you'll need a skim coat of filler over the entire model, sanded smooth to eliminate the prominent layer lines.  Panel lines will also probably be large, and details very coarse.

It's a far cry from the SLA printers that companies like Eduard or SBS are using.

It will be big.  I held a wooden 1/72 Princess carved by a local chap who worked at SR.  It made his 1/72 B-52 hanging from the ceiling look puny!

Cheers

Will

• 3 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=755809837948683&id=100005590215920

[1/72 Saunders Roe Princess 170$ plus shipping charge ]
I've still struggling the nacelle shape. I want to finish the nacelle's basic shape by this weekend. Then, I will take on the pair of tip retractable floats. And then, main wing flaps!!
29790623_755809244615409_935481213959794

29684222_755809237948743_305522175192712

29694775_755809241282076_178650678413148

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

ABS is pretty horrible to work with once printed. I look after several fdm printers at work, and even the best is not up to producing fine detail required in modelling something like this. You'd definitely need a sls or Projet printer for high definition work, down to 16 microns resolution, but a model this size would hellishly expensive.

• 4 months later...

Fresh news: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=860350594161273&id=100005590215920&__xts__[0]=68.ARDkwKfiKEDuUnuyU6MHgGBIsJMpUw0JNnMKrumWyKp0hoJDpsGhlUMuI4KbDgaRM2ijEuDXClL7PA1DA3kpyUGdGYiJFQ1e602Nsl-aOaVUcl5bJksWoHxKW47E3U6iU0MeXvY&__tn__=-R

[1/72 Saunders Roe Princess 170$ plus shipping charge ]
I have modified the fuselage mold. Moreover, I modified cargo hatch and passenger door position!! And then, I added evacuation hatch under starboard main wing.

4025.jpg

401.jpg

4011.jpg

V.P.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=918531745009824&id=100005590215920

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=918529185010080&id=100005590215920

1/72 Saunders Roe Princess prototype ver. 170$ plus shipping charge ]
My kit have these following characteristics.
movable flaps
movable tip floats
openable passenger door
separable beaching chassis which use side very small neodium magnets
separable mainwing to save space after completion
separable bow hatch 
separable cargo door
As for interior, after part of upper deck and whole lower deck is empty because I could not get enough information to design prototype ver. In the future version, I would renovate when I get enough data, of curse. As for planned airliner verion, full interior except for cargo bay with multi color fabricated passenger seats!!.

3D printed parts have texture and rough surface. ABS is shrinkable material. When assembling, small crack or gaps may occur. Putty and instant glue will be necessary when assembling as well as normal glue. I made an effort to minizmize them. To compensate texture problem, I include sanding paper set. I did not include outer surface sticker this time to save price.

48372692.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Next on the list from Toshihiko Shimizu aka Mr One Man Model:

My 2019 1/72 aircraft kit release plan:
1 Saunders Roe Princess planned airliner version with full interior 200$ plus shipping charge
2 YS-11 one of JSDF type 65$ including shipping charge
3 Handley Page HP.42 with full interior 110$ plus shipping charge
4 Junkers G-38 with full interior 110$ plus shipping charge
5 Blackburn Brevery with full interior 130$ plus shipping charge

2020 ekranoplan year plan:
1 Ekranoplan Korabl Maket(empty interior except for cockpit) 400$ plus shipping charge
2 Ekranoplan A-90 Orlyonok with 80% interior 250$ plus shipping charge
3 Ekranoplan Lun with 40% interior 450$ plus shipping charge

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Hello  I purchased the first kit sold from Toshihiko at One Man Models of the SR 45 Princess. I must reply to the "glue gun" remarks. I have no interest in this company first off. I purchased the kit for $215 including shipping.

After paying for it I recieved it in 4 days from Japan by Express Mail. In great shape,packaged in a very sturdy box with all parts in sealed zip lock bags. You can see my progress photos on his facebook pages and on mine .

I have bought Shapeways printed 3D parts which are very costly. This plane being made in this way is worth taking the time and effort to smooth down the ABS. It scrapes,sands and files without any problems. I am going to fill most of the panel lines in after I finish up smoothing down the parts. I have one wing rwady for primmer now and have the fuselage sanded down smooth ready to assemble. The line up pin holes work out great to register the parts when gluing them together,I use brass pins on my building-1/16" dia.

I am waiting to build the interior now. I will be making mine kit of the prototype.

I have ALL the AModel monster fiberglass laid up plane kits and Energina Buran kit. I hate the fiberglass and very hard gell coatings and haveing to wiork with sanding fibergalss,so this is a nice alernative to these very expensive kits and subject matter. I have their H 1 Hughes Herculies Spruce Goose kit in 1/72. I am lucky to live just 45 minutes away from where the real one is at the Evergreen Aviation Museum.

This kit is not perfect,but for the price and the subject you do not have any where else to go. I recomend it to the builder who like to work. I have not figured out how to post photos here yet,so go to my Facebook page at Keith Glueck to see them. I welcome all questions about this kit and subject.

hanks Keith

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have released a planned airliner version since yesterday. The link is my example to check parts and exterior sticker fitting. I'm a rapid rough modeller so detail is terrible. And I cannot afford to take long time to erect my test model. I need to design new model next to next.

airliner ver.
prototype ver.

Edited by One Man Model

• 2 weeks later...

Please refer airliner version's kit contents and my terrible built example!! 

It has full interior and exterior sticker.

As for parts fitting, better than mach2 parts of course. 

My kit main problem is surface texture. To vanish texture efficiently, I can suggest following methods.

1. filling Tamiya grey putty and sanding before painting

2. Spraying surfacer and sanding several times

it is effective to vanish small texture but not for large texture

3. Coating by resin coating, which is mixture of XTC-3D and alcohol

4. Sticking on surface by sticker or Hasegawa application film

Edited by One Man Model
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As usual with this forum there are people being very negative about this kit without actually having seen one. Well I have just received mine and its fantastic. The precise fit of the major components is  superb .Most issues seem to concern the surface finish of the parts. I work with 3D printed parts all day long and I am very used to achieving a smooth surface finish. I have started on the Princess and the trick is to rub the surface wet with soap in the water (stops the paper clogging up) using 180 grit paper until the "squeaky" noise stops. Difficult to understand until you are actually doing it, but the surface acts like a washboard in skiffle group until you have broken the back of the individual ridges ! Once the noise changes swap to 400 grit and rub until smooth enough for primer. It took me 15 mins to prep the forward fuselage half. It is useful to spray a light track coat (i use black acrylic aerosol ) to visually aid in seeing where you have got to. Compared to A Models  Tu -126 Moss I also have on the bench this thing is a doddle and far easier than some of the vac forms I have built in the past. Some areas of the kit are of lower resolution and may require  more work, there is a degree of porosity to the surface of some parts which will require some filler or surfacer paint.This is an inevitable consequence of the materials used,but the comment regarding having to cover the whole thing in filler is simply rubbish.If you can deal with casting flaws and bubbles in resin kits you can deal with this.  If I can work out how to post pics I will ad some to show my progress and these steps.

I am looking forward to see what else this guy comes up with. I will certainly be purchasing a 1/48 HP 42 ! Wonder if I can persuade him to do a Blohm Und Voss BV 238 ?

spacer.png

Photo above shows the two fuselage front sections. The one on the right has been rubbed as described above and is ready for primer.Note the remains of the track coat in the panel lines .I hardly think these are overdone ! In fact they are a little faint and will probably need re-defining a bit.spacer.png

Two wing panels, the one on the left after 10 mins rubbing as described above.

spacer.png

600mm ruler,this puppy is BIG !!!

Edited by balloobear
added images
  • Like 1