MoD Railway Wagons

Chillidragon

There is no railway forum on here, but as this query is about vehicles used and owned by the military...

Winter is well under way, and the Capsicum Munching One is considering the next build.  I'd like to do some 1960s Army/WD/MoD wagons, but not those confined to ROF or Military Railway (e.g. Longmoor) internal use.  I have my beady eye on a Pallet van, and maybe a High GM Open (for those of us in the know) but have nothing in or even on the colours used then; anyone out there know?

Happy new year to all my esteemed comrades,

Chillidragon

Although you've not mentioned what scale there are a similar range of MOD based wagons available in 2 of the 4 main railway scales 'O' (1:43) & 'OO' (1:76), can't comment on 'N' as I've never taken much of an interest in this small scale.

Any scale other than this you'll definately need to scratchbuild.

Take a look at Hatton's website for current availability, I have no connection with them, and mention them only because they have commissioned exclusive MOD wagons in O gauge.

In addition to ready to run items Just Like The Real Thing have recently introduced a similar range of wagons in O gauge (actually planned & started before the RTR items) along with a few vehicles for use as loads. Pete Waterman's behind this operation and may be persuaded to add some additional items such as the palvan if there is seen to be sufficient demand.

Another good place to look is Paul Bartlets wagons photo site. Have a good root around and remember to BR the MOD was a private owner and that many ex-mod wagons made it into BR departmental stock. The majority of photo's are in colour which, with the usual caveats, will give an idea of livery.

This is a link to one of the many photo's of MOD palvan on the site. 

Thank you; I work only in 1/76 for railway and road, 1/72 for my occasional foray into aviation.  I have two kits in mind from Parkside.  The problem I have is with the shade of green appropriate for 1969; the colour photographs I have seen are all later, and with an odd shade, not what I would expect from the stated Olive Green at all.  A special colour to begin with, or strangely weathered? 

I am a frequent visitor to Paul Bartlett's treasury of photographs, but his MoD collection is internal and late.  I have also been known to spend some hard-earned at Hatton's and have been eying a few things there (mainly Warwell).

The Palvan (Dia. 1/211) I have in mind is in an album by Geoff Gamble, RIP.  I have a photograph of a GM Open in someone else's book somewhere.  Can't access it now, my books are in several heaps.  I witnessed the catastrophic cascading failure of each  support bracket on my railway bookshelf with the most amazing rippling wave like avalanche from one end of the shelf to the other... 

Edited by Chillidragon