A Bit of WNW speculation

Chris Jephcott

hhmmmm....just the first announcement. now THAT'S an interesting thought. On the rigging side of things, the only way to overcome any hesitation is to just do it. The thought of it is probably way more oppressive the the actual doing. Especially now we have the elastic threads available. It is actually rather easy, even more so in 1/32 where we have room to work, as opposed to 1/72 or 1/48 which we did before. Anyway, to all those trepidicious hearts out there....try it, you'll like it. 

• Like 1

Never be afraid of the string Duncan, it really is a doddle, honestly and you could easily build any Wingnut without a stitch of rigging and it wouldn't be any less beautiful. Let's be honest, the string isn't really that important at all and more of an affectation. When I was a sprog I had no problem building my bi-planes without a hint of rigging and it didn't make them any the less beautiful.

As for Mr Jackson being a Francophobe, I have no idea and I don't really care to be honest. I am very grateful for what he has put out (give or take a few odd choices) and I accept that it is his toy shop with sales only being a secondary interest to him. I suspect that it is solely to recoup some of the outlay and he cares little what the world at large thinks of his choices and motives. If I could wish for one thing it would be that Wingnuts would have inspired other manufacturers to pay a similar interest to the subject and actually give Wingnuts a run for their money. The fact that they haven't would seem to suggest that there is no money or market there given the costs involved in producing kits of this quality and, if Wingnuts don't produce it, we aren't going to see it any time soon.

• Like 1

OK, color me surprised.  Flabbergasted, even.  It's not my first pick, but I'll cheerfully buy one.  The fun part will be what else WNW is releasing.  Last year, they announced the Taube...then popped out the Early Fokker D.VII, the Albatros Green Tail Trilogy, then finished the year with not only the Taube but the Dolphin.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how important the Junkers D.1 was in general aviation terms but it certainly didn't set the world alight during WWI. The J.1 was certainly a much more significant, not to mention, hansome aircraft. I'm trying hard here but, nope, I can't get worked up about the D.1. Ugly thing.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I'm not sure how important the Junkers D.1 was in general aviation terms but it certainly didn't set the world alight during WWI. The J.1 was certainly a much more significant, not to mention, hansome aircraft. I'm trying hard here but, nope, I can't get worked up about the D.1. Ugly thing.

The worlds first all metal monoplane.

lolololol......just had a mind cartoon looking at those pics, how about a dio with a couple of erks cutting out a repair patch from a 55 gallon drum or sheet of corrogated roof metal and a couple of REALLY big hammers and chisels handy!

• Like 2

I quite like the left-of-field thinking here. Plenty of other 'WWI' aircraft like the Fokker D.VIII had very little impact during the war either, but they've been kitted multiple times over the years. In fact, that's just got me thinking, how about a Martinsyde Buzzard....?

While we like the fringe aircraft of any genre produced for the very keen advocates of that genre.  I cannot help feel that those poor people including myself, who like Wingnut Wings kits alot, that we will be keeping our money in our pockets on this one.  But I am sure that Sir Peter has his eye on other WW1 projects.  I can confirm that in two years from now, his flying collection based in Masterton, New Zealand, will have a flying Handley Page 0/400, and other 5 to 7 other types.  The next WNW kit must surely must be the  Handley Page 0/400.

• Like 2

Indeed, of all the winged things in all the world they had to choose that one. So much for all the speculation and eager wondering. A Martinsyde Elephant would also have been a brilliant addition to the range.  Once again all I have to say is eurgh!! and eurgh!!!! and thrice eurgh!!! The only thing I ever found vaguely attractive from Junckers is the Stuka and I guess that is more because of it's agricultural, bruiser appearance rather than it's ground breaking design or sheer aesthetic beauty. If I had been serving in the German air service at the time and they ask me to fly the D.1 I would have hopped on over and offered my services on the other side of the lines.

Thanks to WNW, we have now a most important WW1 aviation milestone covered in 1/32!

Wait is over, the dream is now reality!

Now the good news, if you're afraid of rigging, you don't have to tackle this obscure Junkers, just get yourself a Fokker D.VII, and you'll have only two small X up between fuselage anb upper wing, and down accross the landing gear legs.

13 hours ago, Duncan B said:

It could be a smart marketing move by Wingnut as a lot of people who have never built one before like the look of Wingnut kits but are put off by the rigging

:rofl2:

By far the smartest marketing move ever seen. 

So smart in fact, that nobody will ever notice anything, and 99% of people will just take it for what it is at first look, just an obscure ugly kite from WW1, and then move along straightaway.

A big thanks PJ, you just make my day with this one!

Now, where's my umbrella???

Edited by Antoine
  • Sad 1

I got a WNW Snipe for Christmas, which I’m looking forward to making a start on. I’m a bit worried about the rigging but TBH it’s not rocket science so approaching everything methodically should result in an acceptable outcome hopefully. 

What I like about WNW is that they produce some exceptionally well designed kits that are great in their detail and overall execution. They really don’t give two hoots to what people expect them to do. They stick to their niche and execute it exceptionally well. 

I hope the Junkers goes well for them. But I suspect they don’t need my well wishes...

Great! Not what I was expecting, but GREAT!

Next big question; OK Duncan, when are you accepting pre-orders?

What will be next.......?

Christian, exiled to africa

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Great! Not what I was expecting, but GREAT!

Next big question; OK Duncan, when are you accepting pre-orders?

What will be next.......?

Christian, exiled to africa

Now here is a man who knows how to get to the crux of the matter in hand, when can he get one! As soon as the kit details are available I'll start putting a pre-order list together (on the back of a postage stamp if some are to be believed :rofl:).

Duncan B

• Haha 1

Last weekend there was a training day at the Vintage Aviator at Masterton, NZ.  The had the chance to talk to one of the head pilots, who advised the Handley Page 0/400 will be completed intwo years time.  Also, another 5 to 7 machines are also planned.  These include Snipes, Fokker D.VII and two Eindeckers.  The most likely choice for their next offering maybe the Handley Page 0/400?

I am so pleased with this release I think it is an excellent choice of aircraft. Obscure, ugly and too late to make a difference in the Great War is true but i like it a lot and it will go so well with the J1 I am half way through at the moment.  

Andrew