A Bit of WNW speculation

Chris Jephcott

Weird people think Sir Peter has some sort of anti-French thing or blindspot for their stuff given the original Hanriot shown above, the three or so Nieuport replicas, or the Breguet he has/had! And as for ignoring American aircraft, tell that to the original and replica American-built DH.4s he's got here too...

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 2

On 10/01/2018 at 9:41 PM, Duncan B said:

... I hope he will also consider aircraft from between the wars too, I'd love to see a Bristol Bulldog or Hawker Fury, Demon etc done to WnW standard (oups, there we go with the British aircraft again!).

Duncan B

Ooh, yes, think what could be done based on a a Hart. There's potential for plenty of kits right there: Demon, Audax, Hind, etc.  Also can we add a Siskin to the above?

On 11/01/2018 at 8:41 AM, Aeronut said:

Let's not forget the early Zeppelin raid bomber version or the post war civil versions. One basic airframe kit could be boxed many times

True, but one doesn't want to be too greedy. :)

• Like 1

I'll play...

Like a lot of other people, I suspect a Be.2c will be the kit announced at Nuremburg.  I'm betting it will not be the next kit released.  If you think about it, WNW has a certain design throughput.  Assuming that cost is roughly proportional to design resources, we can come up with the following ratios:

Single seat/single engine = 1

Multi seat/single engine = 1.5

Multi engine = 3

New markings = 0.5

WNW seems to have a total design capacity around 5 on this scale....which implies he potential for a late spring release.  And given WNW's tendencies, I'd bet on a surprise.

I've noticed that WNW has a preference for aircraft that were important, but not famous...just as the markings they favor are usually not the ones you immediately think of.  So, what's out there....

British:

Be.2c

Armstrong Whitworth FK.8 (I've long thought this would be coming soon, it was a major type but nobody hears of it)

Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Lots of marking options)

DeHavilland DH-4

DeHavilland DH-5 (I'm surprised WNW hasn't done this already, considering the ANZAC connections)

Shorts 184

Bristol Fighter with non-Rolls-Royce engine

No, I don't see an 0/400.  Too big, too expensive.  I suspect the Felixstowe has been a poor seller...kindly note that they released it immediately as a Duellist pack with the highly desired W.29.

German:

Albatros C-type

Halberstadt CL-type

Fokker D.VIII

Siemens Schukert (probably misspelled) D-III or D-IV (Yes, Roden does a kit...it's the only one I've ever tossed in frustration)

Oeffag Albatros D.III

Long shot...a 1/350 Zeppelin.  

French:

Nieuport, most likely a Nieuport 17.  WNW has hinted at this.

Hanriot HD-1.  Concur with previous posters, this is right down WNW's alley...a major type nobody hears about.

Breugret 14.  

• Like 1

I bet WNW is a fun place to work.

Having the secrecy they employ in their new release' must be the funnest part , especially watching peeps turn themselves inside out over the next release , the guessing and the attempts to figure them out , must be soooo much fun.

I know I'm having fun.

0/400 and lets go boys!

• Like 3

Oooo, an FK.8 or even a Shorts 184, now that's got me all a quiver....

Which to tool first, I'd go for the Shorts 184, then 0/400 and follow that up with the FK.8!

Edited by Tony C
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 9:40 PM, Steve Coombs said:

How about a Hansa-Brandenburg_D.I ?

If you can cope with the strut configuration of the Junkers J.1, the D.1 should be a doddle!

I like the sound of that! Isn't there at least one being built in Austria??

Christian, exiled to africa

Jeeezzz I am truly disappointed. Man a D.1 is about as pointless as you can get for a WWI aircraft. Considering all the important aircraft that have yet to be kitted, period a D.1 sucks! 12 made, none saw service pre-armistice it was too slow for a fighter and resembled a kubelwagen .,...can anyone tell I ain't happy?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Jeeezzz I am truly disappointed. Man a D.1 is about as pointless as you can get for a WWI aircraft. Considering all the important aircraft that have yet to be kitted, period a D.1 sucks! 12 made, none saw service pre-armistice it was too slow for a fighter and resembled a kubelwagen .,...can anyone tell I ain't happy?

On the other hand, finally a Wingnut Wings kit that I’ll be able to build without getting rigging thread stuck to every digit :)

Duncan B

p.s. I’ve a photo of the box art and a part built kit over on the BlackMike Models Facebook Page

Ah Duncan somehow I doubt that you would have a problem with a spot of rigging. I can't find the source for this reported release. I'm praying it's 'fake news'. Of all the options from Vickers Gunbus, Avro 504, BE2, DH5 to Halberstadt, Phonix, Bristol Scout, DH.4, Spads, Breguets, Moranes, Hanriots, Handley Page, Zeppelin Staakens, Lloyd and tons of others a Junkers corrugated outside lavvy is a joke and certainly not worth the 'what's it gonna be' build up.

39 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Ah Duncan somehow I doubt that you would have a problem with a spot of rigging. I can't find the source for this reported release. I'm praying it's 'fake news'. Of all the options from Vickers Gunbus, Avro 504, BE2, DH5 to Halberstadt, Phonix, Bristol Scout, DH.4, Spads, Breguets, Moranes, Hanriots, Handley Page, Zeppelin Staakens, Lloyd and tons of others a Junkers corrugated outside lavvy is a joke and certainly not worth the 'what's it gonna be' build up.

I don’t think it’s fake news, the photo I’ve put up on my Facebook page looks like it is from the Wingnut Wings display at Nurnberg. 

I’ll put it up here when I get home if no one else has beat me to it. 

Duncan B

Sadly I fear you are right Duncan (Having just hopped onto your Facebook and looked at that image). I am really very disappointed as there is little to commend the Junkers D.1 in my book and seems more like a quick 'chuck it out there' option than a 'This will knock 'em out' release. Even the artwork looks like Ronny Barr couldn't be bothered too much.

1 minute ago, Beardie said:

Sadly I fear you are right Duncan (Having just hopped onto your Facebook and looked at that image). I am really very disappointed as there is little to commend the Junkers D.1 in my book and seems more like a quick 'chuck it out there' option than a 'This will knock 'em out' release. Even the artwork looks like Ronny Barr couldn't be bothered too much.

It could be a smart marketing move by Wingnut as a lot of people who have never built one before like the look of Wingnut kits but are put off by the rigging (if I had a £5 note for every time I’ve heard this at shows and watched as a potential sale walked away muttering about rigging).

WnW have already flagged their intent to try to grow sales by changing their distribution network when the Camel came out, this could be an attempt to attract first time Wingnutters?

if that is the case we should all be happy as it might bring about more kit production. 

Duncan B

Ah well I think the 'it's got rigging' statement is really just an excuse by folks who don't wan't to admit that the wallet can't open that far or that they aren't that interested in bi-planes. The rigging gives them a handy escape route.

The Junkers D.1 isn't exactly a 'ferrari of the skies' and so I can't see it flying off the shelves just because it is rigging free. I am all for growing the Wingnuts brand but this release is flat as a pancake for me. It's an ugly, squat corrugated bog of an aircraft that is way, way, way down the list of aircraft deserving of attention. I don't think 'ease of construction' is really as important as those who make comments about rigging would lead you to believe. Most modellers are way more than competent enough to cope with a spot of rigging but it is a polite get out if you just ain't that interested.

If we were looking at a Dr.1 (With Pheon planning volumes!!! of DR.1 decals schemes) or an Avro 504k or a Spad XIII we could say that the future of WWI modelling is secure in 1/32 but this kit is just, well ......meh! Particularly following on from the beautiful Stahltaube and the superbly out of the blue Dolphin this one is a non-event.

4 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Ah well I think the 'it's got rigging' statement is really just an excuse by folks who don't wan't to admit that the wallet can't open that far or that they aren't that interested in bi-planes. The rigging gives them a handy escape route.

The Junkers D.1 isn't exactly a 'ferrari of the skies' and so I can't see it flying off the shelves just because it is rigging free. I am all for growing the Wingnuts brand but this release is flat as a pancake for me. It's an ugly, squat corrugated bog of an aircraft that is way, way, way down the list of aircraft deserving of attention. I don't think 'ease of construction' is really as important as those who make comments about rigging would lead you to believe. Most modellers are way more than competent enough to cope with a spot of rigging but it is a polite get out if you just ain't that interested.

If we were looking at a Dr.1 (With Pheon planning volumes!!! of DR.1 decals schemes) or an Avro 504k or a Spad XIII we could say that the future of WWI modelling is secure in 1/32 but this kit is just, well ......meh!

I can tell you might be slightly disappointed with this announcement Beardie :)

Honestly, I’ve had people almost hugging the boxes and taking ages to think about it before reluctantly walking away. The rigging is an issue to some, me included. I’ve wanted to have a go since I looked inside the first WnW box I ever saw but fear the string. 

I wonder if this might only be the first new WnW kit to be announced this week. Never show all your cards, and never your best card first. 

Duncan B

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

More evidence for the 'Mr Jackson is a Francophobe' conspiracy. :D

Imagine Beardie’s disappointment when they announce their Airbus A320 in Air France markings later in the week. 

Duncan B