A Bit of WNW speculation

Chris Jephcott

13 hours ago, Chris Jephcott said:

My guesses would be either BE2c or Fokker DR1.

Mine is the BE2c too as Albatros publications have brought out a new edition which, according to hyperscale, is heavily based on The Vintage Aviator reproductions

I want a Zeppelin Staaken!!!! (How awesome would it be just to have that kit in the box let alone built) I make that a kit with a wingspan of around four feet in 1/32 scale :drunk: but I am reckoning that it will be a Roland D.II or a Vickers Gunbus. I would guess the D.II is more likely. I think, perhaps they may consider that they have done enough Sopwiths for the moment although a Tabloid and strutter would be great. While I would like to see a Dr.1 I very much doubt it until they have covered the marques that are currently not available in any 1/32 scale form.

My spidey sense gets the feeling that Sir Peter doesn't like French marques too much and is particularly focused on aircraft that were on the fields of conflict during the 14-18 period so I can't see a Curtiss Jenny or anything French appearing soon. I would love Wingnuts quality Spads, Nieuports, Hanriot and Breguet but I don't expect to see them showing up until the British and German stuff has been nailed down.

I don't think WNW take much notice of what the punters call for or what subjects attract the highest votes in model maker  'wants' polls. After all, for years and years back in the 1990's, I can remember a 1/48 Ju-52 being voted the most wanted kit year in and year out and people claiming (then in magazines with limited internet) "I'd but a caseload if they did". So, Revell duly made  a cracking 1/48 kit and yet I understand it is one of their worst sellers in 1/48 ever. When did you last see a built example?  If 'wants' were taken notice of, we would have seen the recent Camel and even a Dr1 a long, long time ago from WNW by now.

Rather, they will make whatever the WNW design team and Sir Peter decide upon. After all, a lot of the fun is guessing what it will be and then the inevitable cries within the hobby of ..."Who would have guessed it would be a ..X" along with "Why not a ...Z" for us all to discuss.

Whatever they do decide upon, it should be fabulous and well received.

Gary

I agree Gary - WNW have a tendency to go off onto the more interesting types. The DR1 and a Spad would almost certainly be great sellers too - as were the Camels - but there is an aspect that says they won’t go down that line. 

In a way, I think a BE2C is a more likely bet to be honest.

Chris

Nah I doubt it will be a Russki bird. I agree with Gary that the choice of kit seems to be more what Sir Peter fancies, with possible steering from the Wingnuts team, rather than what anyone else wants. Sir Peter doesn't seem to have any particular burning desire for French, Italian, Russian, American or even Austro Hungarian stuff so I am guessing these will be among the last things we will see.

Hmmmm.......

Trying a bit of mindreading I am getting images of a Bristol Scout and a Halberstadt D.II :D

With the Halberstadt you could have decals for both a Red Richthofen machine and a bright blue Boelcke machine (I kinda like the sound of that  kit:D) and with the Bristol Scout you could have Lanoe Hawkers machine.

Throwing my own belated "tuppence worth" into the debate, I would dearly love a SPAD VII or XIII or even a Nieuport 11 or 17 but being pragmatic, I can't see a French scout being the next one. As others have said, French subjects don't seem to 'float their boat' at WNW as otherwise, we should have seen more by now given the number of kits released to date and considered pro-rata. Given WNW seems to be on something of a roll with early war 2 seaters, I think a BE2C like Chris said is highly likely as airframes and replicas are still available or even an AVRO 504 may be a good outside bet?

A real 'surprise' release would be a Siemens Schuckert and I could see that subject flying off the shelves with the WNW magic applied to create it.

Gary

I like the cut of Beadie's jib regarding the Bristol Scout.   I realize many other types are more popular but I always thought the Scout was an attractive aircraft, with some interesting options for Union Flag markings and machine gun offset to avoid shooting off one's own propeller.  Plus there's the first ever single-seat aerial VC against a heavier-than-air aircraft.  A much overlooked type, IMHO

9 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

For what its worth - a Viper engined SE5a and then an Adder engined SE5 in Albert Ball's markings! That sorts those out. A Spad VII would be good as Wingnut already have the engine sprue. 

Although I'm a 1/72 and 1/48 man I'd buy a WNW Viper SE in a shot!

Just one thing, Ball's SE5 (A4850) didn't have a 200hp Wolseley Adder engine rather it had a 150hp Hispano Suiza 8Aa engine as did all of the 24 from the first production batch produced by the Royal Aircraft Factory.

Cheers,

Tim

21 hours ago, redcap said:

A real 'surprise' release would be a Siemens Schuckert and I could see that subject flying off the shelves with the WNW magic applied to create it.

Gary

Oh yes!  Got agree with you 100% there Gary, I'd love an SS.D.III.

The trouble is the 'rumour' that WnW won't do anything already produced by a rival.

They must have started tooling the SE5, Pfalz D.III, DH.2, and Sopwith Triplane before Roden released theirs. As Roden have the SS D.III already on sale, I guess the chances on WnW doing one are slim. But I'll still join Gary in hoping for one, never say never!

Sticking with my French theme (I love French aeroplanes & Colour schemes :)) I'll propose another - The Hanriot HD.1

Lovely looking aeroplane, could be done with French, Belgian, Italian (some real beauties there), & US markings, & also as a floatplane.

If it turns out to be a SPAD X.III or a Hanriot HD. I'll be very, very happy.

Cheers

John

13 hours ago, Beardie said:

Yep, unfortunately the lack of coverage does give that impression. I don't know why though considering that they were such a large part of the war in the air.

Glad to hear that you've changed yourr mind since our last conversation on the subject.

:)