Part 2 Fiat Mefistofeles 1/12 Italeri

6 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Codger, 

i think building an MFH would be a 'walk in the park' for your master builder skills and creativity...

You deserve a break with such an 'easier' build specially after completing your legendary Pocher Opus. 

Actually, it is the gentlemen on this forum who have shown me the way and i luckily stumbled upon this soft tip by trial and error.

then for fixing the spaces, this is what helped me : Good people on youtube who take the time to post: 

It is not difficult really, just time consuming once the fundamental parameters are set:

just like adjusting the gear ratios on your cobra gearbox according to the circuit :)

come on C ... are you not itching for a new build ?...  (what happens when you look at your Ford GT 40  1/12 ? :footy:)

Thanks for posting this link.  Really helpful.

I started an MFH thinking it would be a "walk in the park" and a good change after struggling through endless measuring, problem solving, and trial and error Pocher surgery.  Perhaps it's the move to the smaller scale, the lack of detailed instructions, and my limited experience with metal and photo-etched parts, but it has not been easier.  I will admit however, that when you finish drilling and preparing and figuring out the best assembly sequence, it's wonderful that everything fits together properly and looks like the real thing.

I'm really enjoying your posts.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Codger, 

i think building an MFH would be a 'walk in the park' for your master builder skills and creativity...

You deserve a break with such an 'easier' build specially after completing your legendary Pocher Opus. 

come on C ... are you not itching for a new build ?...  (what happens when you look at your Ford GT 40  1/12 ? :footy:)

First off my friend, I do not have 'Master Builder' embroidered on my pajamas; please refrain from bestowing that  very kind but overly generous title on me. There are plenty other builders here who fit that description far better than I.

The GT-40 sits here just to the left of my keyboard and I smile at it least once daily. As I do with the Rolls which rests securely in a prominent place downstairs. And when I revisit the Cobra in the thousands of images I created of it and hanging on my walls. But I often think lately 'How did I do those things?'.

Yes, I have the itch, brought on by the works of you and all the serious builders here. But I know now that several serious  factors relegate me to spectating on all your collective works and chatting and commenting on them. So I live vicariously through all of your fine works.

The contributors to your thread are a goldmine of expert and generous information which benefits not only you but all of us. I salute them all as I know you do.

I will stand on the sidelines and let them enlighten you and all of us. That is my pleasure.

Enough blather from me - continue this excellent project ! :whip:

• Like 2

Dear Sam , regarding the drive chains again , that´s what I found on another forum :

Grandt Line model railroad supply : width about 1/8" , comes in 6" lenghts ( 8,23 dollars )

Photo etched  chains : http: // www topstudiohobby. com for 1:9 bikes

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1

Dear Harvey and dear Endeavor,

Thank you for your very kind words.

From the likes of you, masters in your class and producing such meticulous work, your words honour me.:worthy::king:

Dear Hannes,

Thank you for your kind words and list of improvements all, beyond my skills.

i hope you find it in your heart to forgive me for the lèse-majesté of following a free style scale modelling in building my car.

Hannes, if i may say, the relationship with my car is a romantic one. I am not looking for a chromophobic shrinked down clone devoid of charm and soot. Personally i say what if it is a mm. shorter in the chassis here and there at 1/12 ?

As long as it is recognisable (to me) and stirs up my emotions as a scaled down version or even semi version of a Mefisto ? As Codger :king: said, "this car lends itself to many interpretations". The same goes for which order one follows in building it i think, as long as one enjoys...(may be i will wake up and feel like turning this into a helicopter).

To me the gaps in the body work look beautiful and are part of the real car's original character, made up partly with London bus parts. For this reason, i chose not to add strips where there are gaps (like Kurt did) and other similar exemples. To me this is not a 2018 Bentley. 

As the saying goes, 'à chacun son mauvais goût' to each his own bad taste. :tease:

Sam

• Like 3

Dear Sam , of course I respect your philosophy .  If I see , what great work you already did with your engine , I´m sure the listed rest will be a breeze for you , that´s why I offered my support . It´s really not too hard to execute the solutions but sometimes it´s hard to find the right solutions .90 per cent thinking and ten per cent working...I built the Mef all by my own with no thread connected , that´s why I would like to share my experiences . Every question is highly welcomed but I don´t want to push you in a direction which does not correspond with your philosophy . Vice versa I also would not like that and I can understand your point of view .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Endeavor said:

I started an MFH thinking it would be a "walk in the park"

Your meticulous building of the Alfa 159 and neat photos, and stacking of your tools remind me of McLaren's Ron Dennis approach to building racing cars !

Certainly looks like you are having fun and a walk if not a jog :):worthy:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Thank you for your very kind words.

From the likes of you, masters in your class and producing such meticulous work, your words honour me.:worthy::king:

Dear Sam, 

Thank you for your kind comment! Although I'm deeply flattered, I don't consider myself "master" by any means.....a lot of my results have been down to trial and (many) errors. I just enjoy what I do....a lot!:D

Keep up the good work, Sam.

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Dear Codger,  Certainly have not seen your pyjamas... but if it is not with the deserved words 'Master Builder', i can imagine they are embroidered with something like "Mr Modest", cause you are too modestor "Mr 10 percent" because amongst the tips i learned from you; it may take 10 attempts before one can accept a final build standard for a given piece. (i usually cave in way before :whistle:).

Very happy to know the three beauties make you smile everyday. i have similar.

How did you do those things ? Obviously you had the guts and heart to start the first step, which is the hardest always. The damned defining first step.  

As for some 'relegating factors' as you say, you amongst many i think, would soon find 'one way or the other' around whatever factors, no matter how technically difficult.

As Hannes says, this business is very cerebral and 10 % execution only.

So as far as modest observations can see, the 90 % is certainly not part of the alleged 'relegating factors' in your case.  :partytime:     :devil: (Mefisto)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2018 at 2:04 PM, Hannes said:

It´s really not too hard to execute the solutions but sometimes it´s hard to find the right solutions .90 per cent thinking and ten per cent working...

Hannes is exactly right.  Developing the plan is more difficult and much more time-consuming than doing the work.

• Like 2

Dear Hannes

Thank you very much for this indeed.  I have started an album where i collect all articles in different languages, and photos etc. with a usb for the videos.

You are Mefistofeles in person i think, because now i am considering redoing the chassis - the dampers i will re arrange of course anyways, including increasing the angle of the outside front right  which i intended to do long ago - but the chassis, i have done a lot of work already, and a few mm may not make a difference but i am studying the implications of re doing the chassis entirely, using some of the parts i.e the leaf suspensions etc.  

Also i really want to finish the car. I am itching to start a 70's F1 1/12 and i don t like to have 2 parallel projects.

Cheers to you and thanks again

Sam

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

... but i am studying the implications of re doing the chassis entirely, using some of the parts i.e the leaf suspensions etc.  

A word of caution my friend; one day I opened my Rolls -Royce box with the intention of having a pretty Pocher RR model. Thirty-eight months later, I peeked my head out of the rabbit hole.  :nono:

It is addictive because, having gone part way,  you always want to see how close to 'accurate' you can get. :frantic:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Codger said:

It is addictive

Yes Ô Captain, it is a disease...  Gee you just drew my attention that it has been since Sept 2015 when i first opened the box  :cake:...

aside from switching the dampers i think i can live with a few mm inaccurate chassis here and there. 

• Like 3

Dear Codger , I only had a limited amount of photos . Today there are much more photos in the net and of course I would alter  some parts in a different way  if I had to start again .I failed to alter the rear bodywork´s shape , the seat is not correct regarding it´s left arm rest and I would respoke the wheels .

Protar did not make a very good job but it´s a pleasure to improve this old kit .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hannes said:

Dear Codger , I only had a limited amount of photos . Today there are much more photos in the net and of course I would alter  some parts in a different way  if I had to start again .I failed to alter the rear bodywork´s shape , the seat is not correct regarding it´s left arm rest and I would respoke the wheels .

Protar did not make a very good job but it´s a pleasure to improve this old kit .

Many greetings !  Hannes

None of this prevented you from making a wonderful model and helping these other builders do so as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Hannes :pope:

Thank you so much for going through this trouble and making such a nice and clear technical drawing ! :worthy:

this morning I was actually looking at how i can increase the tilt angle of the outside right damper. 

i did not think/plan to fill the profile but now i will for sure

part 25 B and other bars on the chassis will be replaced with metal tubes, some i already made and are waiting pretty 

part 16 b i will follow your lead closely

i owe you. Shöne grusse 

Sam

• Like 1