Part 2 Fiat Mefistofeles 1/12 Italeri

Dear Sam , I´m aware that you already finished your valve system and it´s looking good  , sorry for posting my solution so late . But I think , some others could be interested in this topic , that´s why I published it here . Have a good time , my friend !   Hannes

• Like 2

Hannes,

no need to "tear apart by force" to make a spring.

all you need to do is roll a metal wire around the appropriate metal tube and cut the size you need.  

also, assuming one fixes the springs, one may as well fix the valve heads and drill a horizontal hole and insert a bolt and nut, as well as a vertical pin.

Slide3

ccccccc

Slide1

but still far from the real thing ... am ashamed of several parts now actually, specially the pin protective cap would have been easy to improve..

valves

• Like 5

Dear Sam, 

Hannes just told me about your new thread, and despite the very few time I have, I couldn’t stand not going to have a look on it. 

What you have done is really impressive, congratulations my friend !

Go on with the great work !

Cheers

Olivier

• Like 2

Dear Olivier

Thank you for your kind and expert comments. 

Good luck with the Mustang project and hope you are having tons of fun:clap2: I also need to go there and see your progress. 

kind regards

Sam

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

but still far from the real thing ... am ashamed of several parts now actually,

Hi Sam. I know what you mean. The other day I was looking through some of my old build photos and thinking exactly the same. I suppose it's just a natural extension of increased skill, knowledge and experience.

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Dear Hannes,  @Hannes

Want to say thank you for your posts ! just a few words to make sure you know you are welcome. It is all about improving each other and seeing things from various angles.

i realised that i had marked the posts as like and then it dissapeared. so no misunderstanding please. hence these words. i have experienced instability on the site in the last days.

Dear Harvey,  @harveyb258

yes grrr.... as you says it shows that we think differently, and thats good. May we always do ! 

Cheeers to all

Sam

• Like 2

Dear Sam , I really like your valve spring construction ! It´s more detailled than my version and we all can see the huge effort .

Another topic : Part 153 ( firewall ) has a problem imho : The hole for the steering column is situated too high according my experience and should get lowered  ( about 2-3 mm ) Another problem is the copper fan  on the engine´s left side . The branches  should get shortened about 10 ( !!! ) mm .

Many greetings !   Hannes

Dear Hannes,  @Hannes

You and von Trips mentioned a few times adjusting the back of the body i think. 

What do you have in mind ? for me the back of the bodywork is not too dissimilar to the real car, only little adjustments are needed at the exhaust supports with the bodywork but not the back bodywork of the car.  Can you please clarify what you would do please ?

am currently redoing the dampers and will post pictures when i finish 

cheers 

Sam

• Like 1

Dear Sam , I´ll draw a scetch today  . The rear bodywork of the model has a wrong shape and I really wonder why Protar  didn´t recognize that error . 

Contrary to the 806 the original still exists and it´s ironic that on the Protar box a realistic Mef was  shown whereas inside the box a wrong " bottom " is situated .Italeri didn´t  alter  it .Most likely Protar just used the wrong drawing as we can see on page 117 in Sebastien Faures de Coulanges´book " Fiat en Grand Prix " .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Thanks 1

Dear Hannes 

Thanks a mil. for this :cake::star: i will consider and think about it. 

If i were to do it, probably will use this 'simple' procedure by Paul Budzik. This would mean the rear of the car will be made of wood and i may need to repaint the whole car again so there is no discrepancy in the two parts front and back.  i would also need precise drawings.

• Like 2

there was another helpful video in his library which helped me "boat-tail" a model A Ford speedster.

here: 

only thing I did differently was to drill a hole at the end of my relief cuts so there would not be a stress riser in the styrene. when everything was glued & dried where it needed to be, I filled the holes with stretched sprue.

• Like 2

Dear Sam , dear Southpier , these techniques are interesting but way too complicated imho for a bodywork part . The fact that the whole  rear´s inner structure will be invisible later on , allows a simple rib construction . One longitudinal rib and some cross ribs will do . Plates and strips  can get used as " planks " like on a boat .

Filler and sanding will create a smooth surface . The lower part can get constructed by several layers of plates , filed in shape .

The most important issues  are good drawings  as preparation for a convincing realization .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Hannes

Yes indeed i can see how it is possible to make a plank construction upon a rib skeleton like for a wooden boat. 

Then use the usual filler and sanding and primer etc.  to finish the body work.

I don t think it would be easier than the above two methods in terms of hitting accurate measurements.

Authentic drawings and dimensions are needed as well here. 

One can superpose drawings of profile pictures to get the length and slope of the back, but i didn't see any top view picture to give the correct width, gauge etc.

i can see myself adjusting the lower side with relative ease, but not adjusting the back accurately. 

Also, the cosmetic difference seems little once one fixes the bottom part.

thanks a mil. and cheers

Sam

• Like 1

Sam,

I just came across your new thread on your Mefistofeles build and I really need to read it from start to where you are now but, I wanted to pop in and say that, I'm glad you're back on here. It's been a real shame that so many threads were ruined by the whole PB thing. I'm looking forward to catching up on this; it looks like you've been busy. When I get caught up then I can comment with something that might be useful. Good to have you back up and running.

Wayne

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Yes indeed i can see how it is possible to make a plank construction upon a rib skeleton like for a wooden boat. 

It makes sense for old cars too...

And it is the unique technique at that time!

ap5110.jpg

Dan.

• Like 2

@southpier

thank you for this. Am glad someone is referencing Paul Budzik as well. What great scale modeling.

@larchiefeng

Jesus Wayne vreat to see you here. Been following your amazing Ferrari challenge. i think yours is better built than the original one. An Italian aquaintance of mine died hitting a tree and the gas tank exploding out of Bologna Italy on a short sunday drive when the first F40 cars came out... bloody dangerous to drive 

thank you for your cheers. Am back at my bench with the Mef but 

bloody hell so many great modellers 

on BM pushing the standards ever higher that i can't let go !!! so am  learning and redoing stuff...may be will break Chaz s record... You have an incredible den i saw... enjoy !!!

@PROPELLER

Dan this picture is amazing. It is a devil s picture because it gives ideas etc. this looks like it is Gepetto s car by the way.

Cheers to all

such great builders and what great spirit and building going on here on  BM. I learn from you all the time thank you:rage:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1