BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

Didn't like the other photo's so I've taken another. But this time I've gone over the loco with satin varnish and the smokebox with matt varnish.

Looks a lot better.

39147943570_7181a20bc4_b.jpg

In case you're wondering, I masked the fixed windows and slid the others behind them ;)

Sorry Codger, I think I'll keep this one :bleh:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Now, just to prove I'm not neglecting you dear readers, ITS TIME TO GET DIRTY! PHWOAR!

ok. I give up. Flickr isn't showing the photo's so I'll try again later / tomorrow. :swear:

EDIT: Just checked and they still haven't shown up. Declared MIA. :rage:

Edited by Bigdave22014
  • Sad 1

As promised, here she is in all her filth!

27184691058_a649642d63_b.jpg

A slightly be-grimed chassis:

27184700768_800d2d8cb4_b.jpg

And the rear of the loco, with some of the filth cleaned off:

40347443264_16fb0a4753_b.jpg

Filth has been provided by Flory washes, sprayed on with an airbrush.

The chassis will be left as it is, except I might add a little more depending on how the loco body comes out.

• Like 4

Lurker calling! 

I really like the way you've been treating this baby. I have the 1/72 version (Hobbyboss) which appears to have been the protagonist of the motion picture 'Honey I shrunk the Trumpeter kit'. They seem to be equal except in size. 

Given the high quality and detail of your modifications it never occured to me that you might not own the walkaround book by WWP ("Dampflok BR 86"), but now that I'm delurking I might as well offer to send you an excerpt scan if you need any detail imagery in case somehow you don't own that book. If so, feel free to PM me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Lurker calling! 

I really like the way you've been treating this baby. I have the 1/72 version (Hobbyboss) which appears to have been the protagonist of the motion picture 'Honey I shrunk the Trumpeter kit'. They seem to be equal except in size. 

Given the high quality and detail of your modifications it never occured to me that you might not own the walkaround book by WWP ("Dampflok BR 86"), but now that I'm delurking I might as well offer to send you an excerpt scan if you need any detail imagery in case somehow you don't own that book. If so, feel free to PM me. 

Thanks for the offer Roy, but I do have that oh-so-useful tome.

I've found it invaluable during construction, as long as I can figure out which variant I need for my model..

As I've been off today, rapid progress has been made - especially as most of this stage is putting all the bits together.

41014186242_2596009a64_b.jpg

Tanks on, cab rear placed but not fixed.

40177913885_0033af87fc_b.jpg

Decided to add wood for the rear step. Later on this was replaced with a metal grill. Coffee stirrers painted with Vallejo burnt umber, then black pastel dust brushed on.

40369271354_f8eb15e327_b.jpg

Front access plates added around the compressor and feed pumps. Electric warning plates and number plates also added.

27205858278_ab80d8d24b_b.jpg

And REAL coal added to the bunker. The white you can see is the PVA glue still drying.

Still need to add the smokebox step, couplings, lights, and weather the cab roof.

And mend that damn cab handrail! Again! :swear:

• Like 4

I've fixed the broken handrail. I removed the small stub, drilled a shallow hole in the knob, a second hole in the step frame, found a small handrail knob and length of wire, and Robert is your mothers brother.

39279672900_156b1a619c_b.jpg

I've also taken off the numberplate, straightened it out and re-fitted it.

The cab front glazing has also been added.

Edit: Must paint the brake cylinder rod steel.....

Edited by Bigdave22014
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Codger said:

I suggest a Molotow chrome pen where it slides in/out of cylinder...

If I may be so bold..:fuhrer::coolio:

Bold away Sir!

Actually I came to the same conclusion, but with paint (I haven't got one of those pens, I'll have to look for one.)

54 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Bold away Sir!

Actually I came to the same conclusion, but with paint (I haven't got one of those pens, I'll have to look for one.)

https://www.cassart.co.uk/painting/accessories_1/paint_pens/molotow_liquid_chrome_marker.htm?productid=12549&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMmk8OGR2gIVz7_tCh2EKgEyEAQYASABEgI-4_D_BwE

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, folks.

This has left the Works and been handed back to the Traffic Dept.

The RFI can be found HERE.

A few points:

The kit as it comes is horribly inaccurate.

Despite this, the kit as supplied builds into a very nice model.

There are a lot of variants within the class, so pick a loco to build.

Hope you've enjoyed this.

Dave