BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

Having had this in my stash for quite a while I have decided to bite the bullet and start this behemoth.

Now this is a Trumpeter kit, and lives up to their usual standards - It is wrong.

• The wheels have 8 spokes, they should have 7.
  • The boiler back plate and footplate fittings are mainly guess work.
  • The boiler fittings are wrong/inaccurate/missing.
  • I could go on but I'm depressing myself...

Having studied the kit and also the excellent (so far) build by @bangle I have decided that the easiest way to make this offering into an accurate representation ids to melt it down and re-cast it.

Oh well.

To help with this build I have bought the Eduard set, and some excellent castings from LZ Models to replace the wheels, boiler fittings, brakes, and footplate paraphernalia.  I'm also using an etch set from ET Models that I was given, it has a lot more on it than the Eduard set so I'll be using the best from both.

Coming from a model railway background I long ago came to the conclusion that for a tank loco you should build the chassis first (for tender loco's I always built the tender - I saw so many part built kits where people gave up after just building the loco).

I think this is the first time I've built a loco kit from plastic - I'm much more used to brass and nickel-silver. Yay! no burnt fingers from soldering! :party:

I'm probably not going to go the whole hog on the detailing, but it's going to be a damn sight more accurate than what your given!

So, lets start with the chassis.

BR86 Tank LocomotiveBR86 Tank LocomotiveBR86 Tank Locomotive

So this is the basic chassis. I've added some bolt heads using an old punch and die set I've had for years - no idea where it came from. The die set only gives four sizes and this is the largest.

Made a bit more progress using the etches. I also made up the base, but used some G-Scale rail that I happened to have (close to Gauge1 10mm/ft) which is a fair match for size if not track width.

BR86 Tank Locomotive

Neither the front pony truck nor any of the drive wheels are fixed yet, just posed to check the height of the pony truck. If assembled as per the instructions it would float in mid air! The two back-to-back L strips will hold an etched boiler support plate - I decided to leave it off for now rather than knock it off.

BR86 Tank LocomotiveBR86 Tank Locomotive

Compare the state of the work area with the first picture.... :tmi:

BR86 Tank Locomotive

Updates will be on an occasional "whenever I do anything" basis as life tends to get in the way a lot.

Hope you all enjoy the ride (see what I did there?)

Dave

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Having had this in my stash for quite a while I have decided to bite the bullet and start this behemoth.

Now this is a Trumpeter kit, and lives up to their usual standards - It is wrong.

• The wheels have 8 spokes, they should have 7.
  • The boiler back plate and footplate fittings are mainly guess work.
  • The boiler fittings are wrong/inaccurate/missing.
  • I could go on but I'm depressing myself...

Having studied the kit and also the excellent (so far) build by @bangle I have decided that the easiest way to make this offering into an accurate representation ids to melt it down and re-cast it.

Oh well.

Made a bit more progress using the etches. I also made up the base, but used some G-Scale rail that I happened to have (close to Gauge1 10mm/ft) which is a fair match for size if not track width.

Neither the front pony truck nor any of the drive wheels are fixed yet, just posed to check the height of the pony truck. If assembled as per the instructions it would float in mid air! The two back-to-back L strips will hold an etched boiler support plate - I decided to leave it off for now rather than knock it off.

Compare the state of the work area with the first picture.... :tmi:

Updates will be on an occasional "whenever I do anything" basis as life tends to get in the way a lot.

Hope you all enjoy the ride (see what I did there?)

Dave

Hi! I wish you the best of luck with your build! The Trumpeter kit does indeed have way too many errors to count! Trumpeter do a very good job of making interesting models that are mostly inaccurate. Of course my model is based on the restored version so it does diverge from the kit even more just to make life more interesting. I'd be interested to know what scheme has taken your fancy, is it the classic red and black or the war scheme?

It'll be interesting to see your work, i've been toying with the idea of getting my loco out of the box again for the past month or so now so it may yet happen.

18 hours ago, bangle said:

Hi! I wish you the best of luck with your build! The Trumpeter kit does indeed have way too many errors to count! Trumpeter do a very good job of making interesting models that are mostly inaccurate. Of course my model is based on the restored version so it does diverge from the kit even more just to make life more interesting. I'd be interested to know what scheme has taken your fancy, is it the classic red and black or the war scheme?

It'll be interesting to see your work, i've been toying with the idea of getting my loco out of the box again for the past month or so now so it may yet happen.

It'll be the classic red and black scheme.

And please do get your loco out of the box again - You can show me what I've got to look forward to :wink:

Edited by Bigdave22014

Todays update:

Although you can't see it I've drilled through the axles so I can insert some brass tube to mount the wheels on when I fit them.

The boiler mounts have been added, along with the start of the Walschaerts valve gear. Etched brass brackets from the ET set have been added along with some round discs (using my other punch set) to represent the rivets. I also fitted the front steps.

39498154511_7631a92c38_b.jpg24630832017_cb08c5c192_b.jpg

I've also finished the two pony trucks. A word of warning - if you fit the springs as designed, then they will be too wide to fit between the chassis. I carved off the mounting lug and set them closer together, now they fit beautifully between the chassis members.

27721552379_22d377b0e7_b.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

• Bigdave22014 changed the title to BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive
On 1/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Hi Bangle. Been wondering where you have been hiding. Time to sniff the glue again!

I've been mostly not making models until about 6 months ago then i've been in the WIP figures section. I have finally found my model making motivation again so the loco may soon be back on the cards. Though I have now got 2 projects on the go so one has to be completed before I dig it back out again. I need a couple of confidence builds before I step once more into the complexities of my loco build!

On 1/4/2018 at 3:14 PM, Bigdave22014 said:

I've also finished the two pony trucks. A word of warning - if you fit the springs as designed, then they will be too wide to fit between the chassis. I carved off the mounting lug and set them closer together, now they fit beautifully between the chassis members.

Good work so far Dave, it's always good to know what doesn't fit! I can't even remember any more if i've test fitted these. I may have to look at my own build log and see where i'm at, it's been so long! :lol: I'm pleased to hear it's the red and black scheme, it's my favorite! It would be nice to see one of these completed, it so very rarely happens. My build rate is so slow i'm pretty certain you're going to complete the build before me!

• Like 2

Hi Bangle, I'd seen your latest Tram figures so I knew you were still around - stunning figures btw.

I had contemplated the grey version but swmbo asked why it was in primer. Decision made...

I may well finish before you, but that's because you're doing more work to convert it to the modern re-built version of 86001.

I think a lot people give up because of the many inaccuracies of the model. Shame, because its a nice model even if "wrong".

Todays update:

Fitted the brake cylinder and actuating arm. Its only a little thing, but I made it so the arm would pivot. For some reason this simple act pleases me immensely. 

38662129985_5f302bed32_b.jpg

I've also finished the two outside cylinders:

25688105258_344e0ce2e4_b.jpg38849404074_f7bd74378b_b.jpg

The small white bolt-heads are all oiling points. I've left the two blast pipes off for now and will fit them accurately when the boiler/footplate is available for trial fitting.

I've also splashed some paint on the two pony trucks. I do like the red and black livery that German steam loco's wore (and still do).

25688164838_8d366889e6_b.jpg

The tyres have been painted with Metalcote Steel. When dry I'll give them a buff and shine them up a bit.

(Yes, train wheels have tyres and yes, trains can get flat tyres!)

• Like 2

I had no idea trains had tyres! I thought about it a bit and decided it makes sense to have a replaceable component. Personally I think grey is boring so i'm pleased your swmbo changed your mind! Sometimes I wish I had just gone for a straight build, it does make a very interesting subject and it does look good completed even with the inaccuracies, but i'm in for the long haul now! It's always good to push your boundaries once in a while.

I'll follow along if you don't mind Bigdave.  Not that I can add anything knowledgeable to the cause but because I'm sure there will be a few ideas that I can steal along the way.

the quality of the molding looks to be pretty good so it's a shame about the inaccuracies you mention.  However, unless you pointed out specifics there's no way I would be able to tell

Welcome aboard Hendie. 

I'm not sure if there are any ideas you'll be able to steal but pinch away.

The mouldings are actually very good, no flash, minimal mould lines and crisp detail - just a shame it's got so many errors. As you said, unless you know it is a brilliant kit.

Not too much as I'm off work sick today.

Got the three air tanks built up and fitted, and 4 more brackets.

27819839599_7a1fafbf15_b.jpg24729183327_fb1dfeae20_b.jpg

The two large tanks both have different fittings on the ends so care must be taken to get them the right way round. Cough. Ahem. Moving on....

You can also see the light boxes fitted to the crosshead guards.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Bigdave22014 said:

Yay! no burnt fingers from soldering! :party:

Remember that statement?

Yeah, didn't last....

25740959938_50bd6b63d4_b.jpg

I decided that this step and footplate assembly would be better soldered. 

I've got all the brackets and rivets to add yet, and then repeat for the other side.

Still, I didn't actually burn my fingers and it's very robust.

• Like 2

Made the second set of steps, added the brackets and rivets, and managed to fix everything together before spraying with red oxide primer.

39617254041_0ea070b7ea_b.jpg25746213238_f5814f3b29_b.jpg38909218314_ff1a91e18c_b.jpg25746245908_dc15dc012b_b.jpg27839979139_70764e10a3_b.jpg

Hmm, bit of extra primer needed on those steps.

Tomorrow will see a lovely coat of gloss red. I used cotton buds to plug the axle holes to prevent paint ingress. 

• Like 5

Now started on the boiler and firebox. The boiler halves were joined together and the joins sanded smooth, then the firebox was joined, smoothed and added to the boiler.

Various boiler fittings have been made and fitted.

25772809488_17b3de61e8_b.jpg24775862297_5989071e51_b.jpg

Note there is an error in the Eduard instructions - they tell you to add handholds to the first dome, but there aren't any on that dome.

25772827038_dc87633030_b.jpg

Now we hit some of those oh so famous inaccuracies... The dark grey bits are resin replacements from the ET Models set.

24775881497_4908f2b763_b.jpg

And there are two smaller domes that are actually too small. A 1mm thick disc of plasticard has been added and will be filed to shape before the dome top is added.

38747942965_f8c7884680_b.jpg

And that's yesterday caught up with.

• Like 4

I've finished the two smaller feed domes, and added the chimney. Certainly starting to look like a busy boiler. 

39649853151_b5c2068417_b.jpg

All those fittings (and the ones I haven't done yet exemplify the difference between British and European loco design. In the UK we hid everything we could to provide a cleaner look to our loco's. Nicer yes, but increased difficulty for maintenance crews.

• Like 2

I've gone as far as I can on the boiler for now, as any further pipework needs to match up with the cab fittings. So I've decided to build.....the cab!

Two large pieces of etch have been fixed to the interior front and cab floor, moulded pipework has been scraped off the firebox and various bits added.

39668825221_977b200b1c_b.jpg25796663948_b8a797151c_b.jpg

Still need to add pipework and valves etc.

But what about the chassis I hear you ask? Well, it got a coat of red paint and some bits picked out in black.

39638041852_54d2921824_b.jpg

There is something striking about the red and black combination.

• Like 4

Big Dave, I say wonderful work going on here.

The topic of inaccuracies with Trumpie kits (seems everything named Trump is inaccurate these days) is familiar to me as I found the same type compromises in their GT-40. But at the stage you are now, this is taking on a life where its sheer visual impact as a monstrous mechanical device makes the kit failures inconsequential.

It is a wonderful portrayal of the Industrial Revolution of giant, sweating metal hunks that breathe and grunt. As a gear head of all such mechanical devices, I love it.

My personal request is that you veer from the showroom new appearance and provide some grease, soot, rust and scorching in appropriate places. With a discrete and moderate hand.

But any way you go you are applauded for a masterful build. :worthy:

• Like 1