F11F-1 Tiger Hasegawa 1:72

I agree that the Grumman Tiger is an attractive plane - it and the Hawker Hunter have to be the most beautiful military jet designs. Sleek and simple. Others may look more purposeful, or aggressive, or high-tech, but these two are just plain pretty.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

The F11F did not have an APU. The brown stain is oil vented overboard from the J65's center and rear bearings. The A4D-1 and -2 had the same engine, which is why there is prominent staining on its fuselage.

Don't know where my head was when I posted my comments. (Well, actually I do know where it was, but I can't say it!) I forgot about the vent as well as reading about the same staining by Scooters in your A4D books.... guess I am in the terminal stage of CRS! That's why you're THE man when it comes to USN aviation knowledge! Thanks for the correction.

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

It looks great too. You should do an F11F-1F to complete the set...

That would be a Super! You mean with one that burners at the busy end?!!!! MPM, Modelsvit please DO IT!B)

5DSC_5520

9 hours ago, replicant said:

That would be a Super! You mean with one that burners at the busy end?!!!! MPM, Modelsvit please DO IT!B)

It wouldn't be that much more difficult a conversion than you did with the short nose. You need the right J79 afterburner and a modified boat tail, slightly different (larger and squared off) inlets with a different ramp, and a second windscreen laid over the original one. There were a couple of other variations. Everything you need to know is here: http://www.ginterbooks.com/NAVAL/NF44.htm

• 2 years later...

Beautiful Tiger!  😀 These days, it seems the F11 is sort of a forgotten type.  I've always found them very attractive aircraft and well remember flying a white plastic toy Tiger around the yard as a kid.   You've done a fantastic job on this one too!   :clap2:

Oh ye gods of scale modeling! :worthy:  Please see fit to send us a new 1/48 F11 Tiger...and uh, could ya please make it a "good" kit?  Thanks!  :pray:

Edited by Gary Brantley

On 12/10/2020 at 10:45, Shalako said:

Beautiful build Thomas but, which colour did you use for the "red" areas? I have the FS-28915 but, it's too light and the wrong hue.

On 12/10/2020 at 14:17, SAT69 said:

Beautifully done early Tiger. I really like the color scheme!

19 hours ago, FAAFAN said:

WOW! JUST WOW!

15 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Beautiful Tiger!  😀 These days, it seems the F11 is sort of a forgotten type.  I've always found them very attractive aircraft and well remember flying a white plastic toy Tiger around the yard as a kid.   You've done a fantastic job on this one too!   :clap2:

Oh ye gods of scale modeling! :worthy:  Please see fit to send us a new 1/48 F11 Tiger...and uh, could ya please make it a "good" kit?  Thanks!  :pray:

12 hours ago, Marcin Wojciechowski said:

Very nice work :).

2 hours ago, F-32 said:

That really is a beautiful build :clap:

Wow, thread Phoenix from the ashes: Thank you mates!

I used Testors/Italeri enamel dayglow for fluorescent red orange FS28913, thats the real glo! (Monogram: Maj. USMC Elliott Color Guide Vol. 3 1950-1959)

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Thomas,

I'm the one who has brought back from the "ashes" your thread!!!

MM2041 is the colour you're referring and it is hard to find. That's why I asked just in case you had either used a mix to accomplish the hue or, another company's paint.

AK Interactive claims to have the FS-28915 but, that's way too light and as a hue it doesn't have that characteristic redness the original colour had, something that is quite noticeable in many photos from the 1950-1959 era.

The thing is that I like so much that paint scheme that I don't want to apply another one, not even the classic one.