F11F-1 Tiger Hasegawa 1:72

Hello mates!

Here is one of my Tiger Twins built 2004. These old pictures were on film and i apologize for the tarmac from the middle of Ural :ignore:.

That early dayglo VT-23 training Tiger 331 is converted with a selfmade short nose, IFR receptacle and no LEX as pictured in Detail and Scale.

Don Hinton helped me a lot with great walkarounds shot by himself. Thanks, Don!

Decals were custom printed by my Epson (RIP). It is an old kit, not with the resin nose Hasegawa added later on some. This resin nose is wrong (too short), because fuselage is sleeker from front LG on.

Cheers,

Thomas

f11f   56f11f   66f11f   86f11f   76

• Like 47

1 hour ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Excellent build of a very good kit and correct modification to the short-nose version. For more, see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/11/f11f-tiger.html

Thank you,

this is most sexy stuff for me! Never without that! Bookmarked already :penguin:

2 hours ago, Martin T said:

Very nice model. I built this kit a long while back and it was an enjoyable build. 

Thank you very much!

Exactly, Martin, so it was also for me and that's why

we do it!

Cheers,

Thomas

Thomas- 4.0 job on the early Tiger! I remember building the old Revell boxscale kit when I was in high school. but haven't gotten around to the Hasegawa kit, yet- I have the short nose and long nose issues. Is that brown stain from the APU? Your usual outstanding work!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Mike!

Yes it's the APU!

I built the long nose with teeth too, will post it (won't forget:huh:B))

Cheers,

Thomas

Today is a good day, great fun around the world!

56 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Thomas- 4.0 job on the early Tiger! I remember building the old Revell boxscale kit when I was in high school. but haven't gotten around to the Hasegawa kit, yet- I have the short nose and long nose issues. Is that brown stain from the APU? Your usual outstanding work!

Mike

This is for you...

Very nicely done conversion of a neglected USN aircraft. We need new, modern tooled kits of the Tiger both short and long nose. While I dream, I can live with the Hasegawa kit.   :)

I see you're in Germany - imagine how things may have been different if the Luftwaffe bought Super Tigers instead of Starfighters.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nicely done conversion of a neglected USN aircraft. We need new, modern tooled kits of the Tiger both short and long nose. While I dream, I can live with the Hasegawa kit.   :)

I see you're in Germany - imagine how things may have been different if the Luftwaffe bought Super Tigers instead of Starfighters.

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you, Bill!

You are right!

We also tested the Mirage III, but the French didn't pay enough money to F.J. Strauß.

Despite the tragic fact of 116 dead pilots (917 built, 269 crashed) the type is liked because it is understood it was not his fault/conceptual problem to be crammed with tons of all weather (nuclear) bombing electronics

there is also a lot of black humour not only in the Luftwaffe around it, it's a little bit like the corvette, no fear, no thrill, and Porsche got the PS/HP very recently

One of the nicknames is quite imaging Erdnagel (Soil nail), you would call that tent peg, a most common attitude  :bye:. I like the Starfi, too!

To your wonderful F-104 and Joe Walker Theme:

I read somewhere, the XB-70 (I have to build mine) had the nickname: Cecil, the sea sick sea serpent, allergic against air. Not bad, too!

Cheers,

Thomas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Is that brown stain from the APU? Your usual outstanding work!

Mike

The F11F did not have an APU. The brown stain is oil vented overboard from the J65's center and rear bearings. The A4D-1 and -2 had the same engine, which is why there is prominent staining on its fuselage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The F11F did not have an APU. The brown stain is oil vented overboard from the J65's center and rear bearings. The A4D-1 and -2 had the same engine, which is why there is prominent staining on its fuselage.

Thank you, Tommy!

I didn't know that, too! So, i dream of a new Tigerbook and a new Tigerkit, as big as possible, please! HPH makes now a Flogger in 1:18, that would be scale i like!

What do you think of my Longnose posted?

Cheers,

Thomas

A splendid looking Tiger, Thomas. Great choice of paint scheme too.

You can tell just by looking at it that it had precious little internal volume for fuel, but IMHO still the prettiest plane Grumman ever built; and that includes the Tomcat.

The saying goes, if it looks right, it flies right. The Tiger was a much-loved jet in Navy circles with a remarkably good safety record. One can only imagine how good the F11F-1F "Super Tiger" with the J-79 coulda been.....

david

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, David H said:

but IMHO still the prettiest plane Grumman ever

4 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

To me the Tiger is one of the most beautiful planes ever made. 

That's the point, that's why i am a modeller, thank you!