Airfix 1/76 Cromwell, other models with similar tracks?

sapperastro

Hello all,

Just finished this little fellow, and had a ball with it. Virtually nothing to do but add a few little things like a custom tow rope,etc and fell together nicely. I am guessing it didn't sell all that well as there doesn't seem to be any more new tool 1/76 AFVs from Airfix after this release?

Anyway, one of the nice ideas with this kit were the tracks. One piece molded tracks that conform perfectly to the running gear, an absolute breeze to paint and install, and as I was building the kit I wondered why I haven't seen this idea before. Have there been any other small scale model kits with this type of track system? I can live with ye olde rubber band tracks, and link and length are ok, though I find them a challenge in these scales, with the Airfix idea totally trumping them.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, sapperastro said:

Hello all,

Just finished this little fellow, and had a ball with it. Virtually nothing to do but add a few little things like a custom tow rope,etc and fell together nicely. I am guessing it didn't sell all that well as there doesn't seem to be any more new tool 1/76 AFVs from Airfix after this release?

Anyway, one of the nice ideas with this kit were the tracks. One piece molded tracks that conform perfectly to the running gear, an absolute breeze to paint and install, and as I was building the kit I wondered why I haven't seen this idea before. Have there been any other small scale model kits with this type of track system? I can live with ye olde rubber band tracks, and link and length are ok, though I find them a challenge in these scales, with the Airfix idea totally trumping them.

Thanks for this as I have just bought one from Aldi. I look forward to getting on with it. 

Apart from the size of the pieces (which is usual with 1/76) the model fit together perfectly. You will have a blast. The only issue I have is that Airfix hasn't released more 1/76 kits of this calibre.

Now, are they selling them in Aldi? The grocery store?

I am inclined to agree that the one-piece tracks work quite well, once you have removed the prominent moulding line down the centre. 

As to why this hasn't been done in other kits, I suspect that the design of most tracks does not lend itself to this moulding method - for example tracks on German tanks always have enclosed holes at the sides where the teeth of the sprocket hook on, whereas the Cromwell has them on the edge of the track.  Then there's the guiding teeth on the underside of the track, some tracks have pairs of them which would also be a problem.

Yep and they were probaly the best until Flyhawk did their 1/72 FT-17.  :coolio:

If @sapperastro would care to try some serious Braille, Flyhawk are the company to look at.....Their kits are exceptional, better than Dragon in their prime. 

11010627_10153157514793941_4601301023177

Those are one piece tracks of a very different order!  :o

http://henk.fox3000.com/flyhawkmodel.htm