Razor saw

ModellerUK

• 3 months later...

I've got an x-acto one.. it cut through an me109 canopy quite well.. Some quality issues regarding the blade/handle interface but nothing a vice didnt sort!

People always have bundles of tweezers/files/knifes for sale on ebay.. might be handy for picking up the odd item

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

JLC saw is the best one I've found by far. Resin blocks are  what we originally brought them in for, before we found that they were great for plastic, and small metal pieces. The secret is to let it do the work and not twist the blades.

There are two versions, the standard saw plus a spare blade    Standard jlc saw

And the full set with two spare blades and a set of spacers so you do parallel cuts   JLC Anniversary set

They also produce three jigs to go with the saw, one for round sections and a small & large jig for square sections that give you three pre-set cutting angles

For circular sections     For rectangular sections     For larger rectangular sections

Paul

I've got some CMK blades that do a nice job. Haven't tried them on resin yet.

40600300012_597a5b5b41_b.jpg

These blades can be a bit brittle, too. I've managed to break one but kept the pieces and have adapted a small piece like this.

26937529567_af6be4688a_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

I've a rather old one, which once had a large plastic handle.  I think may have been X-Acto but can't confirm.  I had a Humbrol one but the teeth were too wide.  I've tried some more modern ones with thin blades but they flex too much.  The JLC one looks as though it wouldn't be suitable for major conversion work, which I feel  is really the only need for a decent saw,  because it simply isn't deep enough to cut all the way through fuselages, wings etc.  Sharp knives and/or clippers are adequate for separating plastic from the runner and the sharp knife is usually good enough for resin.  At least in the smaller scales I work in.

I haven't seen anything quite as good as my old one, and as it may be getting a little blunt by now I'm keeping an eye open for a replacement.

Edited by Graham Boak

Another vote for JLC. It is one of my top 5 tools. I only use a Zona saw when I have some massive pour block that's too large for the JLC.

I do have some of those spiffy RB Productions contour, micro, nano, and pico saws for more confined cuts, but the fact that they cantilever at the end makes them a more specialized tool.

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, wellsprop said:

@dogsbody, is that the normal CMK blades just mounted in an Xacto handle? I can't find stock of the JLC saw anywhere, so I am looking at that as a solution.

Yes! I've never seen a proper handle for the CMK blades and never bothered to order one. I did have a larger xacto handle laying around so I tried that.

Works good enough for the few times I've used it.

Chris