DRAGON GESCHUTZWAGON 38M fur SIG 33/2

Hello all....hope your day went well.

I wasn't going to upload this one as I made a big mistake in attaching the side wall's; unlike the wiser decision I made on the Wespe project. I bought this and was so excited in finally getting back into my modelling again, I just didn't know when to stop......:D. Anyway, it's been looking at me on the window sill so I decided to finish it and see how I get as regards painting the interior.

Here's the box

mHHJX8f.jpg

As it's one of these Dragon Smart kits, It has all the parts for the standard 38T used by the Wehrmacht in France and Poland. So maybe the extra parts will come in handy. I might try a destroyed one; that could be interesting. There's no turret so certainly a direct hit........:smirk:

CiAZCgi.jpg

Here's it's present state....hope to get it to paint stage soon. I'm using it as a break in between the Sturer and Wespe. As a kit, it's not bad. Nearly as good as a Tamiya as regards fit, but has a wealth of detail and parts. Very little to no flash and no visible sink or release marks. They put in the kit a really nice spru of Infantry equipment - gas mask, water bottles etc. The gas mask canisters are great for open top AFV's as they have a top and bottom part for a really crisp detail canister that can then be installed with the PE brackets and straps - (i'll put up some images next time.) The PE that comes with the kit is nice, but the part numbers are so small; they're smaller than a pin head. It's tough to find the right bits. 

Anyway, here it is at present.

m80f7tL.jpg

GjSc6mT.jpg

ekuQ9IF.jpg

Night all

Simon.

• Like 9

Hi Sgt

Thanks.

Dependant on final colour scheme; I might go for dark undercoat in the inner corners of the fighting compartment. I'll never get my brush in to the back....:worry:

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966

Hi Francis

Thanks for that........and yes, came with the kit. It is nice, including the rifling in the barrel. Just wish I had not attached the side walls.....

My window sill is starting to look like one of those fields in Normandy where they collected all the captured damaged armour..........:D got to get them all finished.....

Regards

Simon.

Evening all.

Just wanted to post the final stage of the SIG33 before it gets in line for the paint shop. I decided in-light of the difficulty already in painting the interior due to adding the sides long before they should have been fixed; to keep most of the remaining interior parts separate for painting to be added at the end. I have one set of tracks to do on the opposite side and the wiring for the radio and a headset hanging somewhere in the interior.

tsWlUUn.jpg

Also, the micro fighting compartment cover loops that run along the side will be added, but due to the need to handle her while fitting the tracks I'll leave them

just before she gets her undercoat.

xVXQGOg.jpg

pGX7ZXv.jpg

So next time you see, she'll be all decked out for combat - (I hope.....:huh:)

Anyway chaps, chat again soon.

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8

Yes that's a good question Steve, those things are a royal PITA even in 1/16 scale so how in heck did you do them Simon? Please, please don't

tell me this is 1/72 scale.

Looks very very good so far, those Dragon kits sure give you lots of spares too.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Steve_farrier said:

How on earth did you manage to get those tool clasps made up and looking so neat n tidy?!!?!? 

16 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Yes that's a good question Steve, those things are a royal PITA even in 1/16 scale so how in heck did you do them Simon? Please, please don't

tell me this is 1/72 scale.

Looks very very good so far, those Dragon kits sure give you lots of spares too.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi both. Firstly thanks for the comments and secondly it’s 1/35....( thank the lord 😩). I can’t say these PE manufacturers make the easy; but I have found Griffon tool clasps a little easier for some reason. It seems they all have a slight difference in the way you bend them, Griffon just seems to have got it right for me. I didn’t use the ones that came with the Smart Kit......probably because they mixed up their detail and mixed two types of clamps...... so they didn’t go together......😝

What I use a small piece of double sided tape to hold the main part of the clamp where you would eventually glue it down, This is after you roll the curved bit first as it tells you to do. 

This allows you to then with tweezers to fold and attach the other parts without the main part of the clamp moving around. Allows you to use both hands. There’s a really good vid on YouTube where some gives a good demo - I’ll try and find it again and post. 

Tell you what......Dragon including it’s own PE had one positive as regards the tool clamps - they don’t mould them on the tools themselves. Saves a ton of time cutting them off......👌

thanks again Chaps. One more track set and ready to paint.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wish you could get a 1/72 Grille that looked like that!  ;)

Lovely work on the etch, looking forward to seeing the warpaint.  :coolio:

Hi Sgt

yeah, they did a nice job Dragon on this AFV. Dragon is coming close to rivalling Tamiya as regards fit, for me anyway. Few issues on this one, but managed to fill them without much fuss. If they did this in 1/72, I’d need a microscope....😬😅😀

yes, few more bits to sort, and in line for the paint shop with the others 

thanks for taking a look mate and thumbs up.

regards

Simon

I haven’t done a 1/72 since the 70’s Sgt. old Airfix ones to go with plastic soldiers I use to have. Maybe I should take a look again at what they are like now. Can’t say “ quick build” approach sounds good though. Are there any good 1/72 makers to recommend out there.

Simon

Well, never thought of the dbbl-faced tape.  It's so much more fun chasing those little boogers around on the bench top, then bending them around the tool they are supposed to fit.

Good thing there are usually spares because they disappear real quick in the carpet too.

Thanks for the tips Simon.

Take care,

Lloyd

44 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I haven’t done a 1/72 since the 70’s Sgt. old Airfix ones to go with plastic soldiers I use to have. Maybe I should take a look again at what they are like now. Can’t say “ quick build” approach sounds good though. Are there any good 1/72 makers to recommend out there.

The current best of the pack in 1/72 is probably Flyhawk, but their range is very limited.....These two sites can tell you almost anything you would care to know about what's out there:

http://henk.fox3000.com/index2.htm

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/

The former lists pretty much every 1/76 & 1/72 vehicle kit ever made, usually with pictures, often with instruction scans etc.  The second has more in depth information on some popular subjects and kits.

To keep up with goings on in the world of Braille, this is the place:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210

Clunky old forum, but the info's top notch and the moderator's a gent (& also a BM member).  :coolio:

FWIW

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Well, never thought of the dbbl-faced tape.  It's so much more fun chasing those little boogers around on the bench top, then bending them around the tool they are supposed to fit.

Good thing there are usually spares because they disappear real quick in the carpet too.

Thanks for the tips Simon.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Loyd

Yeah, the way I described I saw on Youtube. Can't seem to find the exact vid at the moment.

In this Youtube tutorial, this chap does them on their side. I tried this way once, it works but I suppose you all gravitate to the way that suits. Aber PE clamps are my second choice after Griffon clamps; with a close third being Eduard. Overall PE upgrade set's, I prefer Aber.

I'll try and photograph the best way to curve PE, if my phone takes pics that close up. Bending them around the tool itself is OK, but prevents you in some case's being able to side the tools out to paint them.  And I think sometimes they look better if there's "air" around them, if you know what I mean.

Anyway mate, you can message me if you want any pointers or help.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

Right that's it I'm off to buy double sided tape! I actually gave up on the clamps on my recent build after one took me over an hour to get together... then it fell apart 😂😢 

I ended up drilling the plastic ends open so they look similar. 

Ive always done my PE without a jig too... maybe I'm just making work hard for myself and need to do some investment! 

Thanks so much! 

Hi Steve.

It's a case of practice makes perfect (well, as close as we can get........:D). I like the Small Shop range of bending tools and looking into getting a small unit for very small parts. I have a few RP Tools pieces also. My first bending tool was from Mission Models. They are all resin and can scratch and aren't as sharp edged over time. There's a groove that have to to aid in the lifting of the part as a pivot point. Can be an issue sometime. The all metal one's are the way to go.

I sometimes sit down and do maybe 10+ tools clamps for practice as you can just store them in a tub and they are ready when you need them. Good practice.

Glad to help out.

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Looking ace,  Super pe work,the tutorial and video are Just in time too simon,  I'm  just about to make a start on the tool clasps on my calliope build in the gb, double sided tape at the ready

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Wow! great work with the clamps !, I would not be able even in dreams I think ... the progress is very good ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon :yes:

Hi Francis

Cheers...........I wouldn't be so quick to discount yourself and clamps.....can't say mine at the beginning were perfect or even now need to be brushed up. I am trying to get them to actually work at some point. I fix mine at present. Having them working would only assist in the painting of tools etc. Getting them to work is just a challenge really, not absolutely necessary

As regards the Geschutz. I will get it primed soon. But really waiting until I'm fully equipped to start the painting.

Thanks again mate.

Regards

Simon.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Evening all....hope all are well

I decided to switch back over to this little number.....and get it painted and finished. In the earlier build stage I made a bit of an error in my enthusiasm to get back into modelling again and affixed the fighting compartment into place......big mistake which I didn't make on the "Wespe" I recently completed. So, having now to do all the detail work in the confines of the compartment in-place as opposed to separate pieces to attache once finished.....

Well, here's where I stand. I decided to go with after seeing Ian's Marder III and the grey and cream alternative approach...which I have to say I will continue to develop as I believe he is right, and less harsh.

nLfVZss.jpg

Once she was dry, on with the Dunkel Gelb.....I went with Tamiya's as that's what I had at hand and need to use all these odd's and end's I have hanging around. About 5 very thin coats over an hour or so........:S

xqUgPzJ.jpg

pAEA61j.jpg

I'll try and post tonights progress if I get a chance....all the best.......:thumbsup:

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 4