Italeri Jaguar GR1 - My first attempt with an airbrush

Right then. After the misery of building my Gannet I've got straight back on the bike (something that I fall off quite often actually in real life) and got cracking on an Italeri Jaguar GR1.

This will be my first attempt at airbrushing, so I chose the Jaguar for a variety of reasons.

1) I got it cheap off eBay.

2) I'm doing the Gulf War version, so it is basically one colour.

3) As this was a combat aircraft I can "filth it up" a bit to hide any paint mistakes.

Also,

4) I had the Matchbox Jaguar as a kid and it was one of my favourite kits.

First up. A dry fit to determine if it needs nose weight. 

P1020708.jpg

The CoG is just in front of the rear wheels, so I'm going to bang a 5g balance weight in near the cockpit and a bit of Liquid Gravity in the nose just to be sure. 

P1020710.jpg

P1020709.jpg

The fit looks OK too. Maybe a spot of filler needed around the wings, but nothing too horrific. 

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 8

Well this is like being a kid again!

Got the airframe together in about an hour and, whilst the fit around the wing isn't brilliant the rest of it isn't bad.

First use of Tamiya acrylics too, which have been something of a revelation compared to Humbrol enamels. I even managed to use the Rocket Hot without bonding myself to everything in a 2 metre radius.

P1040234.jpg

Here's a little know fact. In production Breguet and BAC  also set the anhedral of the tail with massive pencils.

P1040236.jpg

Right then. The tail fin is still drying and the SKY box is at 6%. So I've got to leave it alone and go and watch some gawd-awful period drama with the missus.

• Like 5

Pretend to enjoy it (the period thing) and keep going back on the Sky box-"just want  to see that 'carriage' 'horse' 'perambulator' 'thingy' again dear hold on"

It won't take long before you are asked to do something else...

When ever 'period' is on

just saying

• Haha 1

Progress!

The first time I've sprayed a model and as I'm not divorced or on my way to A&E I must assume that my cardboard spray booth has done its job.

I've assembled a spare parts bin Hawk "test pig" also. The seats and crew will end up in my Dragon/Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen FAW2 when i'm competent enough to build it.

Jag n Pig.

P1070252.jpg

Primer on.

P1070253.jpg

Hideous seams exposed and filled.

P1070254.jpg

• Like 5

Well that was tremendous fun!

Any semblance of pre-shade vanished, as did one of the aerials from behind the canopy. And a "Test Pig" that is absolutely devoid of surface detail isn't much use either.

P1080258.jpg

Quite pleased with my first attempt though. The image isn't the best as the flash has whitened it out.

• Like 7

More progress.

Not sure if this is a recognised technique, but I drew in the panel lines with a sharp 2H pencil then rubbed the whole thing down with some dirty Blu Tac.

Also, if I had a pound for every time I broke off one of the nose pitots I would have £4.

P1100253.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Great looking Jag so far Harry. Airbrushing is a revelation after years of using a hairy stick. It might be worth leaving off those little bits until the end to prevent the carpet monster getting them. You're not alone in using a pencil for the panel lines either, many have/do it.

I feel like a bit of a fraud because I've weathered it with a brush using Tamiya Smoke, pencils and coal dust. It still needs a coat of clear to flatten out the decals, but I have already applied some to the right wing outside of the upper pylon as a test.

P1130254.jpg

I was concerned that I'd over done it, but looking at the real thing I think I got it pretty close. Next up will be a "clean" build to see how I get on without being able to hide behind a layer of grime.

26915428995_e05210a3c0_b.jpg

• Like 5

Nicely weathered. Spray painting is something that takes practice, you will succeed when you get the combination right, that is suitable for you.

Robert

If you are a fraud for using WHICHEVER technique that works on the model, suddenly we are all frauds

It isnt a 'must do' to get it all done with the airbrush, I never have managed that impossible dream

She looks very good HTS, be happy with her

• Like 3

This is looking good.  I like the weathering techniques.  Regarding the tools we use...hairy brushes, air brushes, cotton buds, toothpicks, my little finger...they are all legitimate and useful tools on my tool box.  Check out the manicure section at the local pharmacy.  There are these little rubbery pointy things are used for cuticles which are perfect for smoothing out and pushing around putty into small crevices. 

Practice, practice...me too!

• Like 2

The boyos are right there Harry - there are so many combinations of materials and processes that can give a convincing look to a model that any idea of 'the technique' is pure fallacy. We all get excited on here by seeing people experimenting and evolving their personal craftspersonship, and that Jag of yours looks a damn fine job to me!

John is right also about the manicure section providing useful tools - without the cosmetics section in Poundland many of us would be lost, plus we're already modellers so beyond feelings of shame and embarrassment....:D

Nice work!

Tony

• Like 1

Good effort on the Jag! Airbrushing is mostly practice and finding what paint, thinner and air pressure works for you. I saw your pics over on STW earlier...

Absolutely what TheBaron, John and Perdu said. there are no cast iron rules or techniques as far as weathering goes, it's a matter of whatever works and personal preference. Personally I use soft pastels and a brush and achieve a reasonable effect. I find the poundland cosmetics section a good source for materials. A casual glance on this forum and others and you'll discover there are as many weathering techniques as there are different recipes for spaghetti bolognaise. That said I wouldn't be surprised if some modeller somewhere hasn't used spaghetti sauce as a weathering aid!

As for your thoughts about overdoing it, clearly not. I think it looks pretty good, and I understand the real aircraft scuffed up pretty badly and pretty quickly in real life.

• Like 1

Looking very nice indeed. I use chalk pastels, Pencil, Washes and Citadel Wash which is more like a clear paint shader for weathering. Anything goes as long as it works.

Pencil can look werid on its own but under varnish looks great. Best think with it is it smudges and smears nicely and can be rubbed off.

:)

• Like 1

Finished. Quite pleased with it. My son has already stolen it for his room, so it must be OK.

Will take some better pictures when I have natural daylight.

In the meantime...

upload1.jpg

upload2.jpg

upload3.jpg

• Like 1