2017... I blinked and it was gone - My modelling round up.

nimrod54

Here are the builds that I completed in 2017 starting with a couple that are from Group Builds that started in 2016 and ended in 2017. 

First completions for the year were these two Platz 1/144th Mustangs for the P-51 Mustang STGB III.

DSC01643_zpsfjp3wbjp.jpg

DSC01632_zps4gz6iutl.jpg

DSC01639_zpsyoezjc7j.jpg

Followed by this Eduard Aero L-39C Albatros which didn't quite make it for the KUTA IX deadline, but was completed in mid March.

DSC01743_zpsy2dvg5j1.jpg

DSC01744_zps4qd2tzjy.jpg

My choice of subject for the 70's NATO v Warsaw Pact GB was this 1/200 Cyber Hobby Avro Vulcan B.2 finished as a 27 Squadron aircraft of the Scampton Wing in 1970.. 

DSC02117_zpsxx1owi14.jpg

DSC02119_zpsocmijljh.jpg

February was the start of a busy few months with two GB's starting within a couple of weeks, fortunately I had few planned builds for the middle of the year which helped. This 1/144 Aeroclub Rapide was to be the first of four models completed for the De Havilland Mega GB.

https://flic.kr/p/V5LK3F

https://flic.kr/p/V5LK8v

The next build over the line was this 1/144 De Havilland DH 91 Albatross from a Welsh Models resin kit,

https://flic.kr/p/VJ5doy

https://flic.kr/p/W7RmaV

then a 1/72 Matchbox (DH) HS125 finished as a Northolt based 32 Squadron aircraft. 

DSC01975_zpshlcbvzuf.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/WjnwBK

Then for the last model in this GB I selected this 1/144 Welsh Models De Havilland DH114 Heron Series 1 in BEA colours.

https://flic.kr/p/WjnvNa

With careful drilling, I removed a lot of material from the fuselage but the model was still a tail sitter, hence the blue-tack under the nose wheel. Much later I went on to make a base for this and tried to recreate one of Barra's beach landings that I had seen in many reference photos

35824234116_82236e33ba_c.jpg

35705146542_de64faf8b3_c.jpg

In May I started the Made in Britain II GB and my first entry was this 1/72 Airfix Beagle Basset. I removed the raised detail and scribed in new panel lines and I also removed the fin and rudder before replacing it with something of a more correct shape.

36817453216_9cae797753_c.jpg

36817451246_896f2b6d7d_c.jpg

I followed this up with a build of a Kitmaster BR Class 9F 92220 Evening Star, removing a lot of the moulded detail (handrails, smoke-box door details etc) and replacing them with Alan Gibson parts. Another planned build didn't get over the finishing line and is now running in KUTA X, I hope to complete that over the next few weeks.

37210971432_e2009bdb84_c.jpg

36570660543_9a3dabae7e_c.jpg

36570656903_20aa9afd39_c.jpg

I also thought that it would be good take part in my first Blitzbuild, it seemed like a good idea at the time but, being a slow builder, was probably doomed to failure from the outset. Anyway whilst neither of my Valom 1/144 Sopwith Pups would make it, I did go on to finish one at a later date.

37784858252_e7d9483efc_c.jpg

37106598864_f9a9dc9ba3_c.jpg

My last completion for 2017 would  be this 1/72 Airfix Douglas Skyraider built for the Radial Engines Rock GB.

37922972895_53c01c4847_c.jpg

37922966115_a9306fc59a_c.jpg

So that was my 2017 modelling year, not as successful as I had hoped, with a few builds not quite getting there, but better than I had expected. Still to finish from the list of planned builds are a 1/48 Grumman Avenger, a 1/144 Sopwith Pup and an English Electric DP1 (Deltic Prototype) which continues in the KUTA X GB.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Hi John. That’s a really impressive collection for the year. I think Evening Star is my favourite. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hope you have a Very Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. That’s a really impressive collection for the year. I think Evening Star is my favourite. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hope you have a Very Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks a lot Stix and a Very Happy New Year to you too. I enjoyed building Evening Star, it was something different, but I really like the elegant lines of the DH91 Albatross.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice collection John, I'm with Stix on the locomotive fantastic job.

Cheers Ozzy, it's amazing what a few simple improvements can do for these kits. My recent discovery of 3D printed crew figures from Wales based Modelu has enhanced the footplate and they actually fit. I wonder if he has thought of expanding his range to aircrew?

12 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

A productive year buddy, with some great builds as usual. Any GBs catching your eye for this year?

Cheers Matey, not as productive as your one-to-one scale modelling I am sure. I had intended to be more selective in my choice of GB's this year so I haven't signed up for too many, but there are some great ones planned that are catching my eye at the moment. The RAF Centenary, Airfix The Golden Years and Eleventh Hour could be good choices and Hawker Siddeley would have to be a must having started at their ex AVRO (Chadderton) site as an apprentice. That does not include those that I have signed up for already Boeing 737, Things that Fly on Things that Float and the Grumman GB, so it looks like being another very busy year.

12 hours ago, Will Vale said:

That's a fine collection, and doubly impressive for all the 1/144 rigging you've done. 

Will

Cheers Will, I decided to have a go at some rigging on my 1/144 builds last year and I am still experimenting with materials at the moment. 

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work there John, great variety and quality builds. :thumbsup:

Cheers Ray, I am glad that you like them mate. I am looking forward to the Boeing 737 STGB, it should be fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Great collection of builds and that Airfix Sandy turned out lovely!

Cheers,

Dermot

Thanks Dermot, the Skyraider was another Airfix classic that required a sand and re-scribe, but it was worth the effort.

• Like 1

Great collection of models, I have the Airfix skyraider temporarily parked on my shelf of shame, my attempts at fitting AM pit and wheel wells has seriously depleted the mojo. Big mistake thinking that the AM stuff, intended for the Hasegawa kit, would just drop into the Airfix with no fuss whatever :(

Yours is a beauty though, no doubt about that :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clive_t said:

my attempts at fitting AM pit and wheel wells has seriously depleted the mojo. Big mistake thinking that the AM stuff, intended for the Hasegawa kit, would just drop into the Airfix with no fuss whatever :(

I set off down the same route with the cockpit Clive, but having completed the tub I decided not to use it. After a test fit I thought that there would be too much work for me to get it to fit. The AM instructions state that some thinning of both AM and kit parts may be required and that is for use in the recommended kit. So, I have decided to try to find a Hasegawa kit at a reasonable price and should I be lucky in my searching I will use it on that build.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 02:23, Cookenbacher said:

A fantastic 2017 John, it's great to see them all in one place!

Happy New Year Cookie, apologies for the delayed response. I am pleased that you like the collection, I hope that I can repeat it this year.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 05:33, Builder said:

Great work. Like the sky raider.

Thanks for the kind comment Builder. I was pleased with the way that the Skyraider turned out.

17 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Love the Evening Star and the Heron and the Albatross and the DH89 and ...

I think you get the picture!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian, working on the refinements for Evening Star made a nice change from aircraft. I added a few de Havilland types to collection last year and I hope that I can do the same for Hawker this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zebra said:

A good year John. I think the Bassett is my favourite (although if your Gypsy Moth had made it into 2017 it would have beaten them all!)

Cheers buddy and thanks for your kind comment re the Gypsy Moth. The Bassett was another build that came about after reading a book, Sir Peter Masefield's auto-biography Flight Path.