Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

VMA131Marine

Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

Recommended Posts

I’ve got my replacement decal sheet and research material but no kit yet - still showing as on back order at Hannants. Mind I only ordered it in Dec 17 so probably well down the list!

 

The delay will give me chance to finish my Lightning first...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Keith, just the ticket.  Strange how they left those vents out, but hey ho the rest of the kit looks fantastic.  The decal sheet is very comprehensive and great to see the NASU option.

I will get one, but probably not immediately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing Keith. Have got mine on order this is a real tease.

 

Can anyone tell me can an FGR 2 be made from this kit. If I'm correct I think it's just a little mod to the light on the front u/c and getting rid of the slats on the tail planes.

 

Thanks

 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keithjs said:

 

24673682637_e028e278c2_h.jpgIMG_2913 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

Just a thought, if this is an FG.1, where are the leading edge slats on the tailplane?

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Max Headroom said:

Just a thought, if this is an FG.1, where are the leading edge slats on the tailplane?

 

Trevor

That'll be the view from underneath I'm guessing. The slot was very narrow underneath so wouldn't show as a gap at this scale (the Fujimi kit is the same).

I notice the detail on the undercarriage legs doesn't appear to be as nice as the Fujimi kit looking at the photos, I look forward to having a look in real life soon.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Flipping ‘eck, those stencils!

 

Thanks for sharing.

 

Build thread soon.......?

 

Trevor

That is what i like nowadays on these Airfix kits, the stenciling!!

They are razor sharp in detail....:yes:

I simply love their decal quality they put into their kits, not always my subject but nevertheless they are good..

 

Cheers, Jan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grahamwalker said:

anybody know of any decal sets for a HMS Eagle aircraft?

RAM Models do decal's do the A&AEE C Flight that flew the deck trials off Eagle

http://www.rammodels.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/71_66/products_id/358

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

That'll be the view from underneath I'm guessing. The slot was very narrow underneath so wouldn't show as a gap at this scale (the Fujimi kit is the same).

I notice the detail on the undercarriage legs doesn't appear to be as nice as the Fujimi kit looking at the photos, I look forward to having a look in real life soon.

 

Duncan B

Sorry about that, here's the other side.

 

I'd be interested to know the answer about the FGR2 too as Xtradecal  https://www.hannants.co.uk/newarrivals/?setPerPage=25&search_direction=asc&pageID=2  have just released some new sheets and I feel a Falklands one coming on.....

 

27766901269_d6f1c5bfe5_h.jpgIMG_2923 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Can anyone tell me can an FGR 2 be made from this kit. If I'm correct I think it's just a little mod to the light on the front u/c and getting rid of the slats on the tail planes.

 

43 minutes ago, keithjs said:

I'd be interested to know the answer about the FGR2 too as Xtradecal  https://www.hannants.co.uk/newarrivals/?setPerPage=25&search_direction=asc&pageID=2  have just released some new sheets and I feel a Falklands one coming on.....

I think how much work is needed to make an FGR.2 is probably going to depend on how much you want to do.

 

Basics are,

use the compressed nose u/c leg from the kit and remove the extending links on the aft edge of the leg

fill in the three deck approach lights in the nose u/c door

fill / make smooth the underwing depressions for the catapult hooks

remove the tailplane slats by cutting/sanding down to the basic tailplane structure

 

There are some further, very minor differences,

the panel work at the leading edge of the fin is different as the FGR.2 fin houses a HF aerial

Slight panelwork changes in the aft fuselage structure

This is a very good reference for illustrating these changes, http://phantomphacts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/differences-between-phantom-fg1-and-fgr2.html

 

Edit, it looks to me like the RWR fin assembly in the kit has the detail of the FGR.2, the original fin top one having FG.1 detail

also, might be my eyes, but it looks like the deck approach lights or holes aren't molded into that fwd u/c door, if so they both make the FGR.2 job easier.

 

Or, you could just paint it as a FGR.2 and get away with it most peoples eyes!

 

 

 

BTW Keith, beautiful Walrus there! And you look to be a budding airfield enthusiast.

Edited by 71chally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

......or wait for the FGR.2 release in about 12 months time as sprues showing that version have already been circulated.

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do those Sparrow missiles compare to the real thing or are they just a generic missile? Kinda hoping for possible Skyflash option with the FGR.2 as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My phirst one is in at my LHS: unfortunately SWMBO works there 3 days a week, all of which are my days off this week.  At least I've got a 1435 Flight jet to do from my Fujimi FGR. 2, plus dozens of other WIPs if I can find all of the bits.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks fantastic. Thanks so much for the sprue pics - I'm very excited to see some build threads!

 

Bring on the FGR.2 in proper camo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2018 at 7:01 AM, Grey Beema said:

Allegedly (according to LHS) the Sea Fury makes its appearance today or tomorrow too...

I hope so as I preordered a Phantom and a Sea Fury using Airfix Air miles and have been told by Airfix they won't ship them until they are both in stock.   Worried that the Phantom stocks will disappear before the SF turns up.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

you lot get your women in hand just tell them " suck it up wench " lol

 

I tried it once got a slap but it sounded good in my head.

 

but please someone post some pics.....

 

Regards Glenn.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a part that fits under the wing and fuselage that obviously has the strapping and a similar part without the strapping. When did the strapping get added and was it on FG1’s only or did the FGR2’s have it as well. I assume it was a solution to fatigue issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, delticfan said:

There is a part that fits under the wing and fuselage that obviously has the strapping and a similar part without the strapping. When did the strapping get added and was it on FG1’s only or did the FGR2’s have it as well. I assume it was a solution to fatigue issues.

Answering my own questions here, doh! But just read an excellent post from 2016 with underside pics of fg1 clearly no strapping either 43 or 111 sqdn and with cat hooks still in place. Also pic of fgr2 in barley grey with strapping apparently fitted due to using SUU-23 cannon. I never knew the fg1’s didn’t use the cannon ah well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

So can a fgr2 be built out of box or not.

 

Not strictly speaking.

 

Cheers,

 

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

So can a fgr2 be built out of box or not.

See post #35,  literally 7 before yours.  But yes, with varying amounts of work depending on desired result

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just ordered one on the basis of looking over the photos of the sprues. Lovely kit. Mine will be a FGR.2 don't think the changes to make an FGR.2 are too taxing. Also just ordered Xtradecals new stencil set and the 74 sqn FGR.2 set to accompany it.  Hasegawa weapons set with SUU-23 turned up in the week and I've a plethora of Skyflash and Sidewinders too. 

 

Anyone know if the missile pylon ALE-40 countermeasure dispensers are available in kit form anywhere - although not too radical to scratchbuild I suppose?  Seem to remember an old Airwaves metal set from years ago but not seen them in ages. 

 

KEITHJS - Thanks for the shots love to see a WIP thread on this. Think I'll be doing one myself. 

 

PhilB

Edited by philbrad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, delticfan said:

Answering my own questions here, doh! But just read an excellent post from 2016 with underside pics of fg1 clearly no strapping either 43 or 111 sqdn and with cat hooks still in place. Also pic of fgr2 in barley grey with strapping apparently fitted due to using SUU-23 cannon. I never knew the fg1’s didn’t use the cannon ah well.

The FG1 was not originally configured for SUU gun so wasn't an option when operated by the FAA but they were modded to carry them when in RAF service, both 43 and 111 practiced regularly with them although they were not a normal fit for Ops (including QRA). I don't remember seeing any FG1s with the strapping fitted during my time on them but that only means I don't remember as opposed to they didn't get it fitted later in life.

The CAT hooks under the fwd leading edge were heavy structural items so never modded out or faired over.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

The FG1 was not originally configured for SUU gun so wasn't an option when operated by the FAA but they were modded to carry them when in RAF service, both 43 and 111 practiced regularly with them although they were not a normal fit for Ops (including QRA). I don't remember seeing any FG1s with the strapping fitted during my time on them but that only means I don't remember as opposed to they didn't get it fitted later in life.

The CAT hooks under the fwd leading edge were heavy structural items so never modded out or faired over.

 

Duncan B

Thank you that makes a lot of sense as I had found a few photos of 43 and 111 aircraft with the cannon fitted. Anyway by the time I work my way through a few fg1’s it’ll be time for the fgr2 to come out.  Too many options on this kit it’s like being in a sweet shop!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll be curious to see how the inserts for attaching the horizontal stabs fit.  That area is natural metal, and not one I would like to have sand and fill.  Also, the nose gear doors are molded in clear plastic, that's an unusual approach, as is the windscreen which looks to incorporate part of the fuselage.  My preordered one is en route, looking forward to getting my hands on it.

 

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×