Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

On 4/20/2018 at 7:49 AM, Ben Brown said:

I received an email this morning advertising some corrected intakes for this kit from Aerocraft Models ... .

Thanks, Ben. I ordered two despite the high $15 shipping cost.

I'm sure the modelling world agrees with you, Iain  -- it's so absurd that Airfix intentionally screwed up this model!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene K said:

I'm sure the modelling world agrees with you, Iain  -- it's so absurd that Airfix intentionally screwed up this model!

Gene K

I ordered 4 despite the high postage (knowing Ali's work), and I got an email giving some of the postage back. That was a bonus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Gene K

Never said it was deliberate, just incompetent given the 1:1 scale original they had to study and a a quantity of references which can only be equalled by Supermarine's finest.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Never said it was deliberate, just incompetent ... .

Sorry -- I said Airfix's omissions were deliberate!! How could they not be????????

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

They lidared - if that's the correct terminology - the FGR.2 at Duxford. She has her wings folded but not perpendicular to the main wing; instead they are locked canted inwards. I questioned this and was told it's the correct position for longer storage (told by a former F-4 engineering officer so I assumed he knows what he's saying). I reckon we're just lucky the folded wing option in the kit isn't angled about 15 degrees inwards.

I just hope they take the chance to carry out what should be minor modifications to the moulds before the FGR.2 comes out.

46 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Sorry -- I said Airfix's omissions were deliberate!! How could they not be????????

Gene K

I'm kinda with you on that.  The development team can't have missed these features, they are so obvious on the actual aircraft, and if it was lidar'd and as carefully gone over as Airfix say then there is no way that the vents can be missed. 

I can't help but think that the production team left them off for the sake of kit production economies.

• Like 1

James, about 10 years ago I attended a talk by Trevor Snowden where he said that the rule of thumb for moulding costs was £1000 per part. Had Airfix missed a piece out I might agree with you but the intake ramps and the outlets above the exhausts are included so just missing a bit of detail wouldn’t save much if any money. I think the reps on the Airfix stand at Telford might be in for an ear bashing considering the quality of other recent releases.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 8:04 AM, sloegin57 said:

Aerocraft Models are Alistair McLean - formerly Mr Allycat of renown.  

I have never heard of Meridia either

Well ... appears I shouldn't have jumped the gun by ordering from Meridia vice from Aerocraft - Meridia charges 6,80 ($8.30) for one, while Ali sells two for £8 ($9.77) . :rain:

Gene K

17 hours ago, iainpeden said:

James, about 10 years ago I attended a talk by Trevor Snowden where he said that the rule of thumb for moulding costs was £1000 per part.

O/T but I find it hard to believe that some of the heavily moulded, flash-ridden blobs in the AX Me 262 kit (eg pitot tube, underwing aerial) cost that much: 15p more like.  Or Airfix were done.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:33 PM, iainpeden said:

James, about 10 years ago I attended a talk by Trevor Snowden where he said that the rule of thumb for moulding costs was £1000 per part. Had Airfix missed a piece out I might agree with you but the intake ramps and the outlets above the exhausts are included so just missing a bit of detail wouldn’t save much if any money. I think the reps on the Airfix stand at Telford might be in for an ear bashing considering the quality of other recent releases.

That’s an estimate I’ve heard since at least the 70s. I beleive with modern tooling practices, it’s considerably less now

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 7:00 PM, Gene K said:

Well ... appears I shouldn't have jumped the gun by ordering from Meridia vice from Aerocraft - Meridia charges 6,80 ($8.30) for one, while Ali sells two for £8 ($9.77) . :rain:

I need to apologize to Meridia for my speculation!! I had  my order in hand here in Florida in  less than two weeks from Italy. Further, two sets were included.  Very good deal with reasonable shipping.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...