Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

There was a proposed dedicated recon version of the F-4M / FGR.2 using the RF-4 nose section, that would make a great what if in 6 or 41 Sqn colours!

Re the stencil data, the Navy seemed hot on them, and some aircraft they were really quite obvious on them.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

I was also going to ask if anyone had actually built one yet. And if you have and used Xtradecals on it I would love to see pictures and with your permission use some on our web site. It's been a truly inspiring thread and I would thank everyone who has spotted any errors. I think with one exception they have all be silly errors to the instructions which with one exception have all been corrected before the instructions are printed.

We are still waiting for six more sheets to be printed, they are on our web site, and when this is done we will have covered at least one aircraft from every Phantom squadron.

I don't think it has affected parcel packing, but we had a tree blown down in the gale yesterday the roots of which managed to get round the gas supply and it's been cut off so our packers are having to work twice as hard to keep warm!

David Hannant

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

There was a proposed dedicated recon version of the F-4M / FGR.2 using the RF-4 nose section, that would make a great what if in 6 or 41 Sqn colours!

Re the stencil data, the Navy seemed hot on them, and some aircraft they were really quite obvious on them.

Is this it James? I must say I would quite fancy an RF-4M or would it have been an FR-4M?

pFJfLx.jpg

pFJ23N.jpg

pFJV1Q.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Pyre at Smithfield? Na, that was reserved for the female, you'd be 'hung, drawn and quartered' my lad! :wicked:

I gather from reading Georgette Heyer's My Lord John, that you could get that commuted to beheading round the 14th/15th centuries.

On 1/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, Dave Fleming said:

It maybe that the very first aircraft was originally painted a DSG equivalent,  (There is a photo that show sit with the 'No 1 F-4K logo overpainted in a darker shade of grey) but I would imagine that the RN would have quickly sorted any issues with colour.

Any possibility that early machines might have been delivered in FS 16118?

15 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Is this it James? I must say I would quite fancy an RF-4M or would it have been an FR-4M?

That's the one, thanks John, wouldn't it have been great to see the FR designation back.  I guess that it might have been the Phantom FR.3?!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

No, the paint chart is very clear it's Dark Sea grey and gives a British 33B stores ref (If anyone has a late 60s list of 33B materials.......)

Thanks Dave.  You've reminded me that Dark Sea Grey was specified for all options, RAF and RN, in the Matchbox kit's painting instructions.

18 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Don't be silly Iain. We're on here too often to have time for building :D

Regarding the kit.

Is the RWR a bit thin or is it the entire fin?

The kit bit looks OK to me, it was quite thin compared to the depth as it was only filled with electric string and stuff :-

axB4p8V.jpg

HTH

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Scimitar said:

Are they the thingmyjigs that make wiggly amps?

Thanks for that info Dennis.

What's going on with the folding wings?

Richard

They use wiggly amps to inform the crew that they are about to get shot down if they don't do summit quick like.

The wings ? - well a liney on 43 forgot to put the ground locks in the wing fold and as hydraulic pressure dissipated, everything went all floppy and the wings slowly drooped.  We watched it from the office - took quite a while but it gave us something to do on a quiet day.

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Did the FG1 and the FGR2 have different fuel vents at the base of the rudder?

Not as I recall Dave.  They were both a flattened 'V' shape when viewed from the rear whereas the US ones (at least USAF) were flat when viewed from the rear - I'll check on the USN and USMC ones in a bit

Dennis 

EDIT :- I've just checked through my slides and RAF/RN fuel vents only protrude as far as the tail light on the brake para door and are flattened 'V' shaped as I said.  USAF/USN and USMC fuel vents protrude about 6 inches aft of the tail light, are flat and are quite distinctive whereas British ones appear fairly low key.

Dennis 

I'll have to check the stash and see how different manufacturers have dealt with it.  

Edited by sloegin57
Info update
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not started mine yet aside from priming then sprues but now I have a 2nd copy to be done as an RAF fg1, any differences needed to made

Depends on the timescale, compared with the FAA FG1's as delivered. The RAF ones started off the same but had different paint then could carry the SUU gun (after 1975ish IIRC), ILS aerials and RWR, Skyflash, Chieftain Tank periscope and other electronic gubbins inside that you won't see on a 1/72 scale model. I believe all these parts are in the kit anyway and if you want to do a 43 Sqn aircraft as delivered you just need to use the early fin and change the paint, stick a chicken (like this one :penguin:) on the tail and you're done.

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Not as I recall Dave.  They were both a flattened 'V' shape when viewed from the rear whereas the US ones (at least USAF) were flat when viewed from the rear - I'll check on the USN and USMC ones in a bit

Dennis 

EDIT :- I've just checked through my slides and RAF/RN fuel vents only protrude as far as the tail light on the brake para door and are flattened 'V' shaped as I said.  USAF/USN and USMC fuel vents protrude about 6 inches aft of the tail light, are flat and are quite distinctive whereas British ones appear fairly low key.

Dennis 

I'll have to check the stash and see how different manufacturers have dealt with it.  

Dennis am I right (i.e. is my memory playing tricks on me or not?) when i say that the rear ends were built or assembled  from kits by Shorts in Belfast? I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of the rear ends being made and the caption saying it was at Shorts.

Duncan B

@Duncan B I remember that photo too but my memory says it was Scottish Aviation that built them. However, Thunder and Lightning’s website says the rear fuselage was built by BAC!

I’m off to find the photo......

Trevor

EDIT Scottish Aviation was part of BAC by then.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Dennis am I right (i.e. is my memory playing tricks on me or not?) when i say that the rear ends were built or assembled  from kits by Shorts in Belfast? I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of the rear ends being made and the caption saying it was at Shorts.

Duncan B

No your memory isn't Duncan. It was HMG's intention that a large proportion of the work involved would be allocated to the UK and McDD's acceptance of this "sold" the Phantom to us.  Initially there were going to be around 400 in service but that got slowly whittled down to the numbers we got.  HSA Brough was designated Design Authority after a period and eventually had an FG.1 XT858 mounted in a rig to foretell future problems.

I know from personal experience at Leuchars that we were always short of aircraft  

The entire rear end (forget from which frame number) was designed and built in the UK in order to accommodate the RR Spey.  Shorts rings a bell for that and Salmesbury responsible for building the tailplanes.  Not sure if the outer wings were also built in the UK.

Dennis

XT858 - Test Rig - HSA Brough January 1978 :-

SMbm1a0.jpg

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Since this is morphed into a thread about all the UK Phantom's (not that that's a bad thing!) do you have the paint schematic for the F-4J(UK) similar to those others you've posted please @canberra kid?

Unfortunately not Charlie. the nearest is the Air defence grey scheme one that I posted earlier on. 

John 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Unfortunately not Charlie. the nearest is the Air defence grey scheme one that I posted earlier on. 

John 

Pity about that John as the two official schemes you published so far I could not even get at Leuchars - so thanks for those.

In the mean time and with your access to Wartons archives, would it be possible to have a hunt through and try and find some shots of the Phantom rear ends and Phantom tailplanes being manufactured in the UK ?

Big task - but I now that you are up to it

Dennis

looks like you beat me to it - thanks John

Edited by sloegin57

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Depends on the timescale, compared with the FAA FG1's as delivered. The RAF ones started off the same but had different paint then could carry the SUU gun (after 1975ish IIRC), ILS aerials and RWR, Skyflash, Chieftain Tank periscope and other electronic gubbins inside that you won't see on a 1/72 scale model. I believe all these parts are in the kit anyway and if you want to do a 43 Sqn aircraft as delivered you just need to use the early fin and change the paint, stick a chicken (like this one :penguin:) on the tail and you're done.

Duncan B

I’m doing the triple one ac from ‘86 on the xtradecal sheet

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1