Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

5 minutes ago, Blacktjet said:

Strictly speaking, you can't build an accurate FG.1 either without some modifications. The kit appears to be an FGR.2 but with a few type specific items replaced with FG.1 parts.

Wasn’t the Duxford FGR.2 used as the Lidar subject?

Playing devil’s advocate here, I don’t think that the vast majority of people building the kit will be aware of the differing panel lines of (say) the fin. Some may be aware that there’s ‘something different’ about the tailplanes and that maybe the FG.1 has a longer nose wheel leg. From a beancounter’s point of view “it’s a British Phantom”.

Trevor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Wasn’t the Duxford FGR.2 used as the Lidar subject?

Playing devil’s advocate here, I don’t think that the vast majority of people building the kit will be aware of the differing panel lines of (say) the fin. Some may be aware that there’s ‘something different’ about the tailplanes and that maybe the FG.1 has a longer nose wheel leg. From a beancounter’s point of view “it’s a British Phantom”.

Trevor

Phantom FGR.2 XV474 at Duxford was the aircraft that Airfix scanned for this kit. So things like panel lines will match that particular FGR.2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 10:37, 71chally said:

Anyone here going to show first images of the box contents?

Announced at Telford SMW in November 2016 and originally due for release in October 2017 it eventually arrived on January 4th 2018. Sold out on the pre-orders mostly within hours of its release

A large stout lift off lid box. 2 Airfix Flying Hours. Skill level 3. 162 parts.  Adam Toby artwork
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2001s-M.jpg

20 page booklet A4 size covering 111 build stages plus 4 A3 coloured pages for painting and decaling. One of the A3 is devoted to the 250 plus stencil decals

5 large frames and 1 half-size frame of parts in grey plastic and 1 frame for the clear parts
Frame A;
Fuselage and folded wing tips and two different parts for under the main wings
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2002s-M.jpg

Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2003s-M.jpg

Frame B;
Main wings top halves, intake trunking, two different tail fins and another pair of outer main wing sections
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2004s-M.jpg
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2005s-M.jpg

Frame C;
Main under fuselage part, two more wing tip outer sections, rudder, flaps, airbrakes
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2006s-M.jpg
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2007s-M.jpg

Frame D;
Cockpit tub, seats, etectera, engine fans and exhaust ends, undercarriage parts
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2008s-M.jpg
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2009s-M.jpg

Frame E;
Assorted weapons and fuel tanks
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2010s-M.jpg
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2011s-M.jpg

Frame G;
Tail planes, radar unit [bottom, centre], parts for having nose cone open, rocket pods, parts to make an extended or short nose wheel leg
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2012s-M.jpg
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2013s-M.jpg

Frame F; The clear parts
Front u/c doors, canopy; option of open or closed, radar dish
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2014s-M.jpg

Decals;
3 options
892 NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1974-75
787 NAS, RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset, 1971
Naval Air Support Unit,  RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset, 1969
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2015s-M.jpg
There are about 255 numbered stencil decals. Highest number decal I've spotted is 297, but several similar decals have the same number to there must be about 400 decals. Not all are used though.

One of the A3 colour pages;
Airfix%20Phantom%20FG.1%2C%2035s-M.jpg

Very nicely detailed multipart ejection seats. There are no crew however
Oddly the front wheel well doors are supplied as clear parts
Another oddity is there are two arrestor hooks; one deployed and one retracted - the difference is in the angle of the fixing stud and one small rod
The canopy has part of the fuselage on it; this is around the windscreen so that'll have a neater fit.
Famously the Phantom canopy has two small windows in the section between the front and rear cockpits. The original Airfix Phantom had that area soild. On this kit, for the open canopy option a hoop part is supplied with framing marked. There are two of these hoop parts but only one is mentioned in the instructions. It looks like the other is to fit in a depressed part of the closed canopy but its not mentioned at all.
3 sets of outer wing sections are supplied; one set for folded wings, one set with slats extended and one set thats neither of those.
The refueling probe can be closed or open

A lot of choices need to be made before building commences as some parts, such as the nose cone needs cutting off first if the radar unit is to be used with an open nose.
There'll be a fair number of spares which I think might end up being used on the old Airfix Phantom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Just got word from FedEx that my Phive Phantoms will be delivered today! Phirst Phantoms in the States maybe?

Phive! I don’t know these Americans always doing things bigger and better than us Brits...to get five past the Mrs would have been an achievement in itself. If anyone is interested there are a few copies of the Ian Allan aircraft illustrated booklet RAF Phantom by Peter R Foster on eBay. Just thumbing through my copy there are details of all aircraft with histories, dates to paint schemes etc and some good shots of the camouflage to air defence grey transition era. Out of interest what are opinions on the best airbrush acrylics and colours for these beasts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delticfan said:

Phive! I don’t know these Americans always doing things bigger and better than us Brits...to get five past the Mrs would have been an achievement in itself. If anyone is interested there are a few copies of the Ian Allan aircraft illustrated booklet RAF Phantom by Peter R Foster on eBay. Just thumbing through my copy there are details of all aircraft with histories, dates to paint schemes etc and some good shots of the camouflage to air defence grey transition era. Out of interest what are opinions on the best airbrush acrylics and colours for these beasts.

I was born in Lancashire; I just live in America!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

Strictly speaking, you can't build an accurate FG.1 either without some modifications. The kit appears to be an FGR.2 but with a few type specific items replaced with FG.1 parts.

That really doesn't make sense to me.

The airframes are essentially the same, the differences & modifications required have been listed, and are within the scope of most modellers.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

Strictly speaking you can't build an accurate late FAA Aircraft from the box contents without some modification either. I note that the optional fin with RWR cap has the ILS aerial (that were not fitted to FAA aircraft) moulded to the fin so they will need removing. Not the most difficult of modifications I admit.

Duncan B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Strictly speaking you can't build an accurate late FAA Aircraft from the box contents without some modification either. I note that the optional fin with RWR cap has the ILS aerial (that were not fitted to FAA aircraft) moulded to the fin so they will need removing. Not the most difficult of modifications I admit.

Duncan B

Very late FAA a/c had them fitted for use at Leuchars but if I am correct, they all had the jubilee nose emblem, which you don't get in the kit. Add to that, for the purists, the fin with the RWR in an FGR.2 fin - with a very slim RWR.

I am happy with it, the modification required to build a late FAA or RAF FG.1 or an FGR.2 are minor, the missing vents on the intakes is a bit annoying and it would have been a much nicer kit if the engraving on the fuselage was as restrained as that on the wings.

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I don’t think that the vast majority of people building the kit will be aware of the differing panel lines of (say) the fin

Absolutely correct. For 30 years we have been making Fujimi British Phantoms and I don't recall anybody commenting on fin panel differences. I'm just happy that we have a new tool Spey Phantom. Well done Airfix.

• Like 6

Slight nit picking here but the instructions are to big for the box and finish up curling up the side wall, at least on mine. Trouble is my decals are caught up in the instructions and consequently are slightly bowed. Can't see any damage though.

16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Phantom FGR.2 XV474 at Duxford was the aircraft that Airfix scanned for this kit. So things like panel lines will match that particular FGR.2. 

Hmm, if LIDAR is that precise, then how did they miss six sets of quite prominent vents?

I must admit, like DuncanB, I was under the impression that none of the Navy Phantoms had the ILS aerials, I have a large Phantom photo archive and I cant see any on either the last jets that arrived at St Athan, or were at Leuchars?

This kit looks fantastic and a huge well done to Airfix for releasing it, but personally speaking at the moment I don't see that this kit brings a big enough advantage over the Fujimi kit to put my current stash up for sale.

The two big advantages of the new kit look to be the posable flying surfaces (rare on a parked aircraft), and the full depth intakes, the lack of these on the Fujimi kit haven't bothered me though and I much prefer fine surface detail.

I will probably end doing a comparison build for shape and detail differences at some stage.

My point earlier is that you can make the FG.1 and the FGR.2 from the same boxing if you were so disposed.  The relevant parts are easy to modify.  

I listed the panel work changes for the purist amongst us, I doubt I would bother with them personally.  It does look like the RWR fin assembly has the FGR.2 panel lines anyway.

I will get the two Airfix boxings though, one can't have enough Phantoms in ones life!  here's to lots of interesting and colourful Phantom builds!

• Like 2

F-4K Phantom FG1, XV586 / R-010, Royal Navy, may still be at RNAS Yeovilton painted in RN colours. This a/c has the ILS aerials fitted but, is an ex 43 Squadron machine. This is the only RN Phantom that I have seen with the aerials fitted. Though i'd be more than happy to learn of others, you seem to learn new things regarding the British Phantoms every year.

Peter

• Like 3

Mine has arrived from eModels, about 2-3 minutes from the Postie handing it over to getting the box open and sprues out!

Not going over all the niggles under discussion already, I was surprised by the slightly over-heavy panel lines on the fuselage, but primer and paint will see to that. There's enough "new" features to warrant buying more of the Airfix kits and I am overall very impressed by it. As others have already said, the Fujimi offering is still a very valid kit too, and I won't be parting with those in my stash. 

Excellent work Airfix, now looking forward to my FGR.2's as well 👍🏼

Eng

44 minutes ago, Blackfordhibby said:

F-4K Phantom FG1, XV586 / R-010, Royal Navy, may still be at RNAS Yeovilton painted in RN colours. This a/c has the ILS aerials fitted but, is an ex 43 Squadron machine. This is the only RN Phantom that I have seen with the aerials fitted. Though i'd be more than happy to learn of others, you seem to learn new things regarding the British Phantoms every year.

Peter

When I was at Leuchars in 1980, there was a fin in 892s hanger - along with all the other cr@p they left. It had the 892 omega, ILS but the RWR had been removed. I was told that the ILS were added to the jets because the FAA pilots had been having trouble landing on a surface that wasn't pitching and rolling. Ok, the latter was a bit of a yarn but maybe the fin was from a one-off installation for trials or a damaged RAF fin that had been painted in 892 colours. I've never been interested in FAA a/c so always believed the late ILS fitment to be correct. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackfordhibby said:

Peter

The Phantoms in FAA use didn't have ILS fitted, that was most definitely an RAF modification. As you have said XV586 had the ILS fitted during modifications carried out during RAF use.

So the fin configurations for in service FG1's were as follows,  a): standard rounded fin cap as originally manufactured by McDD, both early FAA and RAF use, b:) Modified fin cap with RWR fairing only, as seen on later 892 Sqn aircraft, post 1974/75 IIRC, c:) RWR fin cap and ILS on sides of fin as per later RAF use and d:) in at least one case (a 111 Sqn aircraft for a short time) original fin cap with ILS aerials (Dennis Robinson has posted photos of this oddity previously with an explanation as to how it came about).

Hopefully Dennis might be along shortly to tell us the Mod number and when/where it was carried out for the ILS installation etc. 

Duncan B

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

The Phantoms in FAA use didn't have ILS fitted, that was most definitely an RAF modification. As you have said XV586 had the ILS fitted during modifications carried out during RAF use.

So the fin configurations for in service FG1's were as follows,  a): standard rounded fin cap as originally manufactured by McDD, both early FAA and RAF use, b:) Modified fin cap with RWR fairing only, as seen on later 892 Sqn aircraft, post 1974/75 IIRC, c:) RWR fin cap and ILS on sides of fin as per later RAF use and d:) in at least one case (a 111 Sqn aircraft for a short time) original fin cap with ILS aerials (Dennis Robinson has posted photos of this oddity previously with an explanation as to h2ow it came about).

Hopefully Dennis might be along shortly to tell us the Mod number and when/where it was carried out for the ILS installation etc. 

Duncan B

Duncan 

Just as I had thought, the Yeovilton Museum bagged the ex 43 Squadron FG1. Out with the big airbrush, and Walla!  an 892 Squadron Phantom complete with nose flash. The nose flash had a Squadron badge on it IRC as opposed to the 77 you'd expect. As said that a/c was the only one that I have seen in FAA colours with the ILS aerials. 

Peter

• Like 1

XV586 also has the periscope fitted to the centre arch through what was the port window. This also was an RAF fit like the ILS aerials. The Fujimi kit has the option of fitting them (ILS aerials) if required, the Airfix kit has the option of lopping them off.

Picked my second one from Jason of LSA last night at the club.  I learnt a few bits  about the kit and Brit Phantoms at the same time.   Might make one of them as a 43 Squadron FG.1

• Like 1

Well it finally turned up today, opened the box and looked through the sprues and came across this ... 

4JBuztu.jpg

Hj8lvLD.jpg

Expecting the SNEB/Radar/slatted tailplane sprue; I appear to have a rather nice SUU-23 gunpod, FGR.2 front oleo, EMI recon pod and non-slatted tailplanes... that's saved me a whole heap of time as I was planning to build and FGR.2 

Think someone at Airfix has dropped the FGR.2 here 10 months early :)

PhilB

Edited by philbrad
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, philbrad said:

Well it finally turned up today, opened the box and looked through the sprues and came across this ... 

4JBuztu.jpg

Hj8lvLD.jpg

Expecting the SNEB/Radar/slatted tailplane sprue; I appear to have a rather nice SUU-23 gunpod, FGR.2 front oleo, EMI recon pod and non-slatted tailplanes... that's saved me a whole heap of time as I was planning to build and FGR.2 

Think someone at Airfix has dropped the FGR.2 here 10 months early :)

PhilB

Lucky you!!  At least we all now have an insight as to what to expect in the forthcoming FGR2 kit.  It also looks like the blanking plates for the catapult spools are there and the small camera pod

14 hours ago, Blackfordhibby said:

Duncan 

Just as I had thought, the Yeovilton Museum bagged the ex 43 Squadron FG1. Out with the big airbrush, and Walla!  an 892 Squadron Phantom complete with nose flash. The nose flash had a Squadron badge on it IRC as opposed to the 77 you'd expect. As said that a/c was the only one that I have seen in FAA colours with the ILS aerials. 

Peter

Goes to show that what we see in museums are not always true standard.

Just now, Paul J said:

Goes to show that what we see in museums are not always true standard.

@Paul J Quote for truth there!

I submitted pictures of the RAFM Hudson for our Walkaround section a few years ago. I also submitted a list of what was ‘wrong’ with it so that the unwary wouldn’t get caught out. Basically it was civilianised and modded so that it is not really representative of any particular mark.

Still, it is the only one anywhere in Europe!

Trevor

HI Phil and All group members 

You were very lucky to have had the extra parts in your kit  

Can you tell all of us out here if the EMI recce pod is as large as the old Matchbox kits pod as this was

the wright size compared to the Fujimi  offering which was way to small and very round.

Geoff Arnold