Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

No probs Stu, it looks like that how certain items have been treated in the kit that it actually makes it easier to do an FGR.2 than it might have.

That underbelly strap assembly will be handy for later service Mk.2s

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

No probs Stu, it looks like that how certain items have been treated in the kit that it actually makes it easier to do an FGR.2 than it might have.

That underbelly strap assembly will be handy for later service Mk.2s

Only problem now is the dent on the wallet if I get two once there in my local shop......

• Like 1

I can't believe they forgot about the intake vents :worry: - there should be at least decals to resemble them...

They are quite a noticable feature of any Phantom.

I already can see resin intake parts to appear - hopefully so, because I surely can't scribe them in.

Edited by Ingo Degenhardt

11 hours ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

I can't believe they forgot about the intake vents :worry: - there should be at least decals to resemble them...

They are quite a noticable feature of any Phantom.

I already can see resin intake parts to appear - hopefully so, because I surely can't scribe them in.

The thought I had was to get a thin metal plate and cut the vent lines in as a scribing template.

On 1/7/2018 at 1:21 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

So can a fgr2 be built out of box or not.

Airfix now have the FGR.2 boxing slated for Oct this year, with some nice scheme options, so you might be better off waiting a bit.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Airfix now have the FGR.2 boxing slated for Oct this year, with some nice scheme options, so you might be better off waiting a bit.

I did just get the one, though have heard from someone involved with the research contrary to the posts on here you can’t do a fgr2 from the fg1 so i will wait, though will be doing 1 or 2 raf fg1s

17 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

though have heard from someone involved with the research contrary to the posts on here you can’t do a fgr2 from the fg1 so i will wait...

You can, quite easily.

But it would obviously be better to wait for the FGR.2 box to come out.

On zondag 7 januari 2018 at 4:45 PM, philbrad said:

Anyone know if the missile pylon ALE-40 countermeasure dispensers are available in kit form anywhere - although not too radical to scratchbuild I suppose?

All Hasegawa newish tool Phantom kits have them, as do the RoG F-4F / RF-4E and Fujimi's non-naval Phantom kits.

Cheers,

Andre

20 hours ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

The inclusion of decals would have indicated that Airfix didn't actually "forget", but decided to not bother with the engraving ... for whatever reason.

Has anyone from Airfix addressed this glaring  oversight -- if it was in fact an oversight rather than deliberate omission? Certainly they must have received the message.

Gene K

8 minutes ago, Gene K said:

The inclusion of decals would have indicated that Airfix didn't actually "forget", but decided to not bother with the engraving ... for whatever reason.

Has anyone from Airfix addressed this glaring  oversight -- if it was in fact an oversight rather than deliberate omission? Certainly they must have received the message.

Gene K

You may be right - they could hardly have simply forgotten them. What I meant was that if they decided to save the effort of engraving, then at least some decals should have been provided - which even may turn out sufficient in this scale.

On 07/01/2018 at 9:33 AM, spfparker said:

I hope so as I preordered a Phantom and a Sea Fury using Airfix Air miles and have been told by Airfix they won't ship them until they are both in stock.   Worried that the Phantom stocks will disappear before the SF turns up.....  

From what I can see with all the recent issues (last 12 - 24 months or so), it seems that Airfix bring in an initial batch of kits sufficient to satisfy pre-orders (both online retail and wholesale) and then approximately a month to 6 weeks later a larger batch arrives on the slow boat.

Virtually every new issue kit I've been interested in has been in stock temporarily, then once the initial batch is gone it reverts to pre-order and then available again once the main batch arrives.

I pre-ordered the Walrus, got the e-mail from Airfix telling me it was available and allocated to my order and they asked me to confirm payment or cancel the order, unfortunately it was bad timing as Id already spent my monthly hobby budget, so I decided to cancel the pre-order, when I logged in to the Airfix website it was showing as out of stock but as soon as I cancelled my order the stock status went back to available (so their stock system is well and truly live), as it happens somebody benefited from my cancellation as it was again showing as out of stock a few hours later. The Walrus remained out of stock for a few weeks but came back into stock about a month later and as I was into a fresh monthly budget I was able to order one and use my Airfix club voucher to get one at a discounted price (you can't use the voucher for pre-orders). 

I wouldn't worry too much if the kit goes out of stock on the Airfix site, it will probably reappear in a few weeks time.

• Like 2

Wow! 2 Marks of the RN Phantom II in the same year! This is a dream come true! And, the Me 262B1-a is also being released(yes, I know, for the WW2 forum); both nightfighter and trainer versions in the box! I'm a happy guy!

Joe:happy:

On 09/01/2018 at 1:43 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

I did just get the one, though have heard from someone involved with the research contrary to the posts on here you can’t do a fgr2 from the fg1 so i will wait, though will be doing 1 or 2 raf fg1s

Strictly speaking, you can't build an accurate FG.1 either without some modifications. The kit appears to be an FGR.2 but with a few type specific items replaced with FG.1 parts.