Whirlybird Hawker P1121

Head in the clouds.

This is my slightly different take on what may have been, the Hawker P1121. As is known the project was cancelled by the Government but Hawker wanted to build it nonetheless as they saw potential in the design but without government backing it had to be a private company venture and this is how it may well have happened. I took inspiration from an earlier picture of a Hurricane in the company colours of Blue and Gold and it looked rather smart and less mainstream than white or camo. 

The two supplied canopy's I ruined so I had to make one and this was my first attempt at vac forming, after making the required tools to do the job I ended up with a usable canopy on my second attempt which I was very pleased with, the hardest bit was getting the prototype made from putty, 2 attempts were needed and much measuring, sanding and polishing required to get a decent result.

It took me a long time to build this, I found it awkward at times and many of the mistakes are of my own making and thus this model will  never see a show table. The undercarriage is sctratchbuilt from brass rod as I either lost the kit item or it was not there in the first place, also, all the panel lines, which I felt represented the wooden mock-up rather than the real thing were removed to give a smoother, metal like appearance. Paints used were my own Tamiya mix for the blue and Humbrol acrylic for the gold, which I found easy to spray.

The markings were sprayed on with my own hand made mask and it  did not turn out as good as I had hoped, particularly the 'G', I clearly need some sort of template for that, any ideas anyone?

I looked high and low for gold decals but could find non, hence the bodge it and scarper method.

In the end I just wanted it finished so it is no silk purse but I hope it appeals visually as to what may have been a distinct possibility

Gary.

20180102_115448

20180102_115349

20180102_115303

20180102_115234

• Like 12

• 3 months later...

Built the original Maintrack version of this kit a while ago not a bad build, but the plastic was very thin, especially on the fuselage. A very nice build. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...