1./Kustenfliegergruppe 606 Dornier 17Z

plasticmasher

Hi all, researching an interesting Do17z that was abandoned over Salisbury Plain 21/22 Oct 1940 and was so well trimmed it flew on northeastwards crossing London until out of fuel, and made a perfect deadstick landing in the mud at the side of the River Stout, near Erwarton Suffolk opposite the port of Harwich.

Caused a fuss as there were no crew traces, until after a few days the dots were joined up with the crew captured after baling out.

I can't for the life of me find an image of 1 Staffel shield; although I have found a KuFlGr 606 Gruppe shield, with a stylized bird/dragon attacking the British Isles.

Anyone know anything about this Staffel, the 'Kustenflieger' book barely has anything about 606 except what I already know, they were converted to Do17's and coopted into the bombing effort in 1940.?

Cheers

Ed

The badge you described is all I see in a book dedicated to Luftwaffe emblems - no individual staffel emblems are mentioned for KGr 606. 

Just my thought, it's possible they all displayed the same one, just changed a colour (such as the badge outline) to denote the staffel or gruppe they belonged to?  In both these instances, white is the assigned colour - so that makes it simple if that is actually what was followed.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG