Early A.A.C. Apaches......

mackem01

I'm fairly sure the AAC Apaches have always carried a radome: I think the first time I saw one was at the RAF Leuchars Air Display in 2001 or 02 and the crew were already praising the capabilities of its radar system.

I think that all "D"s can carry the radar, but it usually only 1 in a group of several other Apaches carried the radar and this one send out the info that it receives to the others. This is different with the AAC ones in that all of the Apaches carry the radar. 

Seem to have something to do with engine power as well!

Wonder if the future ACC E models will cease to use it as well...

And how great the Benefit is of having them mounted.....???

Anyone with special Insight?

As Jabba suggested, the US worked on the theory that a number of Apaches would sit behind a clump of trees down in the Fulda Gap, the one with the rotor mounted radar would pop its radar above the trees, and send the info to the accompanying Apaches to launch missiles without the need for cabs to rise above the trees thus becoming targets for the baddies.

On 1/1/2018 at 5:11 PM, Richard E said:

I'm fairly sure the AAC Apaches have always carried a radome: I think the first time I saw one was at the RAF Leuchars Air Display in 2001 or 02 and the crew were already praising the capabilities of its radar system.

The mast-mounted Radar is for the Longbow system, which was introduced with the D model. All D's & E's are Longbow-capable although not all carry the radar.

Early AAC Apache's would most certainly not have had the radar, as it hadn't been developed when they entered service.

On 07/01/2018 at 9:12 PM, Adam Maas said:

The mast-mounted Radar is for the Longbow system, which was introduced with the D model. All D's & E's are Longbow-capable although not all carry the radar.

Early AAC Apache's would most certainly not have had the radar, as it hadn't been developed when they entered service.

All uk apache carry radar.

Could be wrong about the very beginning but I was not aware of any replacement balast weights being available .....ill take a look at the RTS and see what it says

The UK only ever bought and operated WAH64 Longbow Apache AH 1. Originally more helicopters were to be bought with a mix of Longbow and (cheaper) non Longbow but the number was reduced to an ALL Longbow fleet. The MOD also did the usual thing of insisting on RR engines, UK avionics etc and had the things assembled by Westlands (The W in the designation).