Gloster Meteor PR.10 Help Needed

Max Headroom

A plea to the BM hive mind!

I’m doing a Single seat Meteor in 1/72 for the BM 10th anniversary build. I have a Matchbox two seater and alternative bits courtesy of Aeroclub to do anything from an F.8 to the PR.10.

Current plans are for a 610 Squadron machine (which is pushing the ‘10’ theme....a bit!)

However I now quite fancy doing the PR.10. As far as I can see it has a T.7 style tail, FR.9 nose and full span wings. In addition to the camera in the nose, I believe there are two downward pointing cameras somewhere in the fuselage and that’s where I’ve come unstuck. Goggle has failed me miserably this time. 

Does anyone have an illustration or photo showing the ventral camera installation please??

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

The only illustration that I've found so far is from the MPM kit instruction sheet which shows one camera adjacent to the rear of the ventral tank, just inboard of the port flap and the other set into a square panel just aft of the joint between the centre section and rear fuselage.  I'll see if I can get to my presently only accessible reference and check shortly.  The ports were generally covered by detachable plates until just before photos were to be taken in order to maximise optical clarity (the camera ports were likely to get covered in grot (fuel, hydraulic fluid, water, other contaminants are available) unless protected somehow and these detachable plates were probably the least expensive option).

Edited by stever219
  • Thanks 1

Max,

It's your lucky day!  I just found this in Edward Shaklady's excellent book on the Meteor.  By the way, why don't you just buy the MPM kit rather than attempt a conversion?

38728818544_a080b73cb2_o.jpg

I also have a production list for PR10s if that might be of use.

Kind regards,

Neil

Edited by neilfergylee
Typo corrected.
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the help guys. I think that I now have all I need to proceed.

I’m using the Matchbox kit because when I bought it second hand, it had the single seat conversion goodies unexpectedly inside!

Regards

Trevor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Thanks for the help guys. I think that I now have all I need to proceed.

I’m using the Matchbox kit because when I bought it second hand, it had the single seat conversion goodies unexpectedly inside!

Regards

Trevor

All part of the service, glad to be of assistance.  I also now 'get' what you mean regarding a conversion!

• Like 1

@Meatbox8

The 10 was a mutt of many parts. A Mk.8 fuselage (no guns up front), Mk.4 vertical tail, PR.9 nose and the original full span but unarmed wings (T.7?). Add to that a couple of vertical cameras in he fuselage too and you ended up with the Mk.10!

Given your name (love it!) can you confirm what mark of MB seat was fitted?

Trevor

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

@Meatbox8

The 10 was a mutt of many parts. A Mk.8 fuselage (no guns up front), Mk.4 vertical tail, PR.9 nose and the original full span but unarmed wings (T.7?). Add to that a couple of vertical cameras in he fuselage too and you ended up with the Mk.10!

Given your name (love it!) can you confirm what mark of MB seat was fitted?

Trevor

Hi Trevor.  Found a Crown Copyright diagram in the SAM publications Meteor book.  They have, rather unhelpfully, left out all the data for the picture which is a diagram of how to remove a seat from a PR.10.  Cross referencing with the Engineering for Life book about Martin Baker the diagram seat looks identical to the Mark 2 seat.  Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

the original full span but unarmed wings (T.7?)

More like the NF.11 wings I should imagine, the T.7 had the short span wings.

• Thanks 1

The wonderful thing about Meteors was that they were a bit like a construction toy with a range of options.  The ingredients for a PR10 were:

Long fuselage as used on the F.8 and PR.9

F9/40 tail (Why this and not the E1/44 tail of most later Meteors is a mystery to me)

Long chord engine nacelles introduced late in Mk.3 production

Long-span outer wing panels from the F9/40, F1, F2, F3 and early F4.  The NF.11/12/13/14 wing panels differed in carrying two cannons on each size.

Neil

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:43, Max Headroom said:

@Meatbox8 I’ll go hunting for Mk.2 seat piccies!

Trevor

You could always try the walkaround section ;)

The Meteor seat pictures there are the one from WH453 which we shall be re-ftting once she is restored.

Julien

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I think you'll be fine with that conversion. I did one many years ago and still have it. The only couple of things I felt were a bit disappointing were that one, the Matchbox kit is a bit slim in the rear fuselage and two, the marking options for the -10 are a bit on the dowdy side. I have a MPM kit in my stash too along with several others from MPM (rude not to, I feel) and they too are OK but those thick wings really let the series down just a little IMHO. I'm hoping that the forthcoming SH NFs have a retooled mainplane.  MB.2seat is correct by the way.

Nige B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of thread hijack ...

I've been doing some cleaning up in the stash, and have discovered enough Classic Airframes bits to do a PR.10 in 1:48. The type is far enough off the beaten track to make it interesting, but I agree with Nige's assessment that the marking options are dowdy. I've had little luck in coming up with an appealing scheme.

I do note that the type was issued to 2 Sqn., and fancy doing one to go with a number of other types operated by the squadron available (with or without modifications) in kit form. I presume that aircraft in the squadron's service would have carried the usual black/white bars adjacent to the fuselage roundels, but can anyone advise:

* Serial numbers and associated individual aircraft identities? (My references aren't at all helpful)

* Colour scheme - silver or camo?

* Canopy - early or late? (I presume early, although I have seen pictures of both on other squadrons' aircraft)

*  Intakes - narrow or wide? (From the pictures I've seen it looks like narrow, but it may depend on the airframe/era being modelled)

I have Bryan Philpott's "Meteor" book and the Hall Park/Guidelines offering, but otherwise references seem to be thin on the ground.

• Like 1

I have the very old Scale Aircraft Modelling  edition and the 10 is as you say rare and when it breaks cover is less than spectacular!

Trevor

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Scale Aircraft Modelling  edition

Which issue is that Trev, I may or may not ave it in which case I'd try to track it down, especially if it is the Aircraft in Detail article.

Steve