From Failure to Failure

06/24

This is all that I've managed to do this week:

26732297238_9ec65e25e6_h.jpg20180303_212230 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Just as I was mentally drafting my post here to include the words "the decals performed surprisingly well for being nearly old enough to vote," one shattered on contact with water, but I managed to get it on the wing in one piece:

39709097555_86a8c79988_h.jpg20180303_212234 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The fuselage roundels were noticeably out of register, so I stole some from a Mosquito sheet.

Also, I forgot to glosscoat the tail (or rather, I forgot I hadn't, because I was planning another coat of paint for it), and so had to use the Future method for the serials.

It's been a long awful week, and further confirmation, as if any were needed, that I do not enjoy being a parent. After lots of vomiting (the worst being very early Friday morning, which was so bad that I almost threw up myself) this week, we've slowly moved from pitying Winston to hating the sight of him. It has not been a proud week for us as parents. He didn't throw up last night or during the day yesterday or today, so we're fearfully waiting to see what the wee hours of the night bring.

• Like 9
  • Sad 4

Which reminds me of the old music hall (vaudville?) joke:

'Dad says I have a weak stomach.......but I am throwing it as far as I can!'

As far As I can remember (mine is now 23) they are resilient little blighters and do bounce back to rude health very quickly ...... and then it will be on to the next thing.

Could those stickers be the ha'peth of tar?

Enjoying the missives as always

Box On

Strickers

Edited by HAMP man
smelling mysteak

That's an interesting side to parenting, and one that is not often mentioned publicly. God knows how many times my brothers and I must have made my parents feel like that, but I'm guessing it was quite a bit and now - belatedly - I feel a bit guilty...

Anyway PC as Cookie says, hang in there because there is hardcore jail-time involved for infanticide; while at first glance the prospect of years in a little cell with nothing to do might seem quite attractive from a modeller's perspective, if you were allowed models in there I'm pretty sure you'd have to remove all the kit parts from the sprue with your teeth - blades not being terribly popular with the prison authorities.

Oops, I seem to have made a joke alluding to the murder of your children, on a Sunday morning too... sorry about that. Hope everything has settled down with the little fella now and that projectile vomiting will not appear in the list of house activities again for a while.

The Bisley is looking pretty nice, or as nice as the ugliest version of the Blenheim might reasonably be expected to look :D Good save on the decals, it was worth it for the 'old enough to vote' line :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Good save on the transfer PC, looking good now :)

I hope Winnie gets better soon... one of the problems of birthing underdeveloped children I guess, they're helpless, but annoying.

Stew I can guiltily admit to also having considered the peace and quiet a spell in an open prison might bring. I'm sure one could work one's way to 'trusted status' and get some sharpish tools. Or maybe twist them off the sprue - surely nail files would be allowed?

Hang on, this is getting a bit conspirational isn't it, and that might mean we'd end up in somewhere more 'secure'. Better forget it then. For now. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Mr. P ,

That looks awesome. Great save on the markings.

You almost have me convinced to start a Blenhiem.  I do have a couple of them in 1/72 although I could wait for the 1/48 scale one....oh the questions one must ponder when doing this hobby of ours. 

In any case this is one of the most fun I have had on any forum and I'm just a bystander...excellent modeling and great humor....all this and a great glass of my favorite libation and I'm good to go.

All the Best!

Don

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

What the h*ll is a "ha'peth of tar"???? Is it something like haggis?

Ha! Not quite...

A proverbial way to ruin something large by skimping on an irrelevance: to spoil a ship for the want of a ha'p'orth (halfpennyworth) of tar. Something my MD tries to do all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Ha! Not quite...

A proverbial way to ruin something large by skimping on an irrelevance: to spoil a ship for the want of a ha'p'orth (halfpennyworth) of tar. Something my MD tries to do all the time.

Thanks for the disambiguation!

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, JosephLalor said:

...whatever other types of snakes there might be in Ireland we don't have the ones of interest to herpetologists.

Yes, Saint Patrick was credited with scaring them off.  As was a Druid before him, as it happens.  I blame the Ice Age myself, fond as I am of my countryman.

• Like 3

Hang in there PC. The Kids can be a trial I know but it’s all worth it eventually. Right guys...... guys........ 

guys.......... bah! Welllll I like having the little buggers around anyway. Mine are a little older now and I feel the pangs of teenager in my eldest but it’s still a wonderful experience no matter how much vomiting. Nice save on the the roundels by the way.:giles:

Johnny.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 11:36 PM, HAMP man said:

Could those stickers be the ha'peth of tar?

Thanks for that reassuring thought.

I managed to make it down into the basement tonight to snap a photo, and it looks more or less okay:

25813228897_fddc990074_h.jpg20180307_224218 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Winston has recovered -- with a vengeance -- just in time for his grandmother, who watches him while we work, to come down with the flu. My mother has the immune system of someone standing just outside the lethal radius of the Hiroshima bomb's thermal pulse, so she gets sick easily and stays sick for a long time, so we moved heaven and earth to keep Winnie away from her while he was barfing, only for my $##@%ing brother in law to stop by and pass along his stomach flu. Why ever try? Consequently I spent the first half of the week at home watching the kids, which was perfect timing really, because I'd already had my fill of them and then some. But they are still alive. 

On 3/4/2018 at 3:33 PM, Chillidragon said:

Yes, Saint Patrick was credited with scaring them off.  As was a Druid before him, as it happens.  I blame the Ice Age myself, fond as I am of my countryman.

It's generally believed they moved to Boston and Chicago and got heavily involved in local politics.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

In passing would it be OK if I mention the camouflage demarcation on that wing PC?

Absolutely excellent m'deario

To my jaded and somewhat bleary eye ( ce matin) the exact amount of line fuzz reaches epic scale on there

Nice one Eduardo

Sorry about mum, give her our concentrated mental "get well soon" won't you

Good news that the monster you love has recovered from his yukkinesses

😆

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

It's generally believed they moved to Boston and Chicago and got heavily involved in local politics.

And many went on to fame (infamy?) and success in Washington, D.C.

• Like 2

Concurring with Perdu re the feathery edge - top stuff, a dusting of dust and Roberto's your aunties husband.

Box On

Strickers

11 hours ago, perdu said:

To my jaded and somewhat bleary eye ( ce matin) the exact amount of line fuzz reaches epic scale on there

4 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Concurring with Perdu re the feathery edge

To my eye, the demarcations look a little weary and indistinct on desert Bisleys. In any case, I'll probably do some weathering, but I don't see myself tightening up the demarcation.

981fd056fe3ff229ce74352db089268e.jpg

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I don't see myself tightening up the demarcation.

Don´t do it, the model is almost finished, any attempt at correcting something of the paint may ruin the camouflage.

Wait wait wait

I am NOT, decidedly not unhappy with the demarcation PC those lines are superb and convey what I would consider to be the ideal, the Golden Rule of camo paint finishing in 1/72 ths

It is 'bang on old bean'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit hard to know where to give likes & suchlike over the last day or so, just know Edward that one of these days you'll look back on this & laugh, in your case probably about 15 years or so. Strong drink helps too. :D

Steve.

Lovely demarcation by the way. :)

• Like 2

I'm still here, I'm just not adding anything worthwhile. I do have a fear that PC is secretly delaying completion to allow me to catch up, I hope that isn't true because right now my motivation is at zero.

Sadly my "start, but not finish" gene has kicked in. I'm not sure why this happens, I think that projects seem to lose interest for me if they take too long, and life frequently conspires (as PC, so much more entertainingly than I, often shows) to slow projects down.

Plus I have the attention span of a butterfly.

So Edward, if you're reading this, let your creative juices soar and fly free, finish and damn me for the sloth that I am ;)

• Like 7

The paint job looks super Edward and it looks like you have saved your disintegrated decal too. I've only just noticed the extra inlet on the wing (presumably the oil cooler) on the Bisley in that last photo, and lo and behold it's been staring me in the face in all your progress photos. Observant, moi?

Sorry to hear about your toddler tribulations too. Parenthood (the intentional sort anyway) seems to come along just when you think you have life the way you want it and tells you firmly that you are not in control any more. I'm still adjusting to my children being grown up and having my life back to some extent (although one still lives with us and has yet to become a Responsible Adult).

And I hope we get to see four finished Blenheims on the thread at some point shuffle shuffle cough Jon cough... 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just catching up with this one. lovely work and love the paint work. I have been having paint woes myself recently so took the plunge and got an Airbrush again. cant wait to try it out.

The mask set looks great I might try one out on my Spit looks like its worth it for saving time and a great result.

Rob :)

• Like 1