From Failure to Failure

06/24

I don't think it a good idea putting anything in contact with clear parts so you seem to be right

Have you tried the sand, sand finer, sand much finer still then polish with toothpaste method to remove the fog?

If you give it a while to stabilise by drying out first

• Like 1

If I didn't have a spare I guess I'd have to, but it's smaller than the tip of my little finger so the only way I can think to try is toothpaste or similar mild abrasive on a cotton bud. I'll keep that as plan B.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 06/24 said:

The postman came...

39436841384_d3d8cc8171_c.jpgEvo by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Excellent service from Modelling Tools. Better try it out I guess.

I had to pull my Tamiya HG metal airbrush apart and give it a damn good clean out the other day. Full wipe out with cotton buds, lacquer thinner & dental bristle brushes, think pipe cleaners for between your teeth. Also gave it a squirt of CRC 5.56 (lubricant spray, not the calibre) in the air inlet mechanism as it was sticking open & pushing out air constantly. Works dandy now. Honestly, its one of those things you take for granted but is actually a tenuous bit of precise engineering. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Yeah I was surprised too. Particularly as a lot of the stock images show them with lids. I've ordered two anyway.

Morning

Good choice of AB. Mine didn't come with a lid and to be honest I've not found that I need one, when I'm filling the colour cup I only put the smallest amount in I don't fill it and I test the air flow on a piece of kitchen roll before I start so I don't have any nasty surprises.

I also found it handy to buy some of those cheap plastic shot glasses from any super market they are handy for mixing paint in and cheap enough to simply throw away when finished with and pipettes for getting the paint / thinners out of their bottles as this lessens the likelihood of a spill.

Have fun

Iain

• Like 1

Ah, but I’m not as neat as you!

And I have a habit of twisting the brush to get at tricky bits, so acap would avoid spills.

I do mix in a wee glass jar, and transfer paint with the pipettes, so I’m not a complete klutz, but I know my likely inattention willat some point cause an oh whoops moment, so anything I can do to minimise the effects is all good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Ah, but I’m not as neat as you!

And I have a habit of twisting the brush to get at tricky bits, so acap would avoid spills.

I do mix in a wee glass jar, and transfer paint with the pipettes, so I’m not a complete klutz, but I know my likely inattention willat some point cause an oh whoops moment, so anything I can do to minimise the effects is all good.

LOL - Nice one! :D

Like Iain, I found the tail a trial, but I think I've won, or at least achieved a score draw. 

The Xtradecals are beautifully thin but a bit fragile when you're as ham fisted as me. So it's not my best decal application ever, but it will serve.

• Like 3

Stickers have not been an unalloyed success. One roundel has cracked, the tail is, hmm, poor, and the codes have silvered despite being applied over a gloss coat and snuggled down with Microsol and Set. Not irredeemable but as I have few spares I shall have to hope I can improve them. Today is starting to feel like one of those days where the more one tinkers, the worse things get. So I shall stop!

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Stickers have not been an unalloyed success. One roundel has cracked, the tail is, hmm, poor, and the codes have silvered despite being applied over a gloss coat and snuggled down with Microsol and Set. Not irredeemable but as I have few spares I shall have to hope I can improve them. Today is starting to feel like one of those days where the more one tinkers, the worse things get. So I shall stop!

Mate that's looking awesome...The tail was a pain (but easily rectified) and any silvering can be cured with a sharp knife and either X20A or any other setting solution.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Did you use Microsol first? The proper method is to use Microset first, apply decal, then Microsol.

One solution to avoid silvering is to observe the decal closely after applying Microsol. At the point where the Microsol is almost completely dry, press on the decal gently with a soft cloth (a "microfiber" cloth is ideal) just like we used to do in the prehistoric modeling days when cockpit detail consisted of pilot heads molded as part of the fuselage halves. I know this defies the conventional wisdom, but trust me, it works. Just be careful to press directly down onto the decal so as to avoid wrinkling or tearing it.

• Like 4

Apologies for the lack of updates. It's becoming clear I enjoy building more than finishing, so after the stress of the decals, I've retreated to plastic bashing - Harriers mainly. 

Hopefully a a combination of guilt and a day off will be motivation enough to get a move on with these two.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

She’s looking great. Don’t worry about slowing down near the end of builds, it’s my thing too. As much as I want to finish I always have to push to get over the finish line. With the silveri g I’ve found you can keep adding micro sol until the silver is gone. :rambo:

bravo sir.

johnny

• Like 1

Well, having finished work, replaced the broken light bulb in the bathroom, the light bulb in the playroom that burned out as I was walking out the door, picked up a sink, sold some board games, and written a social media plan that will hopefully carry my employer through 2018 and me into a slightly higher tax bracket, I got to modelling. 

First, I'm not sure you can fully appreciated how much snow there is here.

40256558371_81cd1d6730_h.jpg20180213_185336 by Edward IX, on Flickr

There's a hell of a lot. About 14-15 inches fell on Hedgehog Manor, and after shoveling it all up for the third day straight on Sunday, I can easily see why so many Chicagoans drop dead every year while shoveling their drives. 

Anyway, Winston, Grant, and Mrs P are now all safely in Michigan, leaving me here safe at home. Here's Winnie spotting the Dauntless at Midway Airport:

25385687487_4baeb48e88_h.jpg20180211_155738 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And here's Grant, being abandoned on the tundra:

39358785865_f49e8396aa_h.jpgIMG_2082 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Anyway, I got another new airbrush, a Badger Renegade Krome -- all Badger airbrushes have ludicrous names, apparently -- which is sort of a budget version of Jon's Harder and Steenbeck 2-in-1. But I will point out, the ancestors of the guys who made my airbrush took the ancestors of the guys who made Jon's practically back to the Bronze Age, so who's really got the best product here?

25385675757_44272ee8b1_h.jpg20180213_212028 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Anyway, I finished priming the Bisley and the Blenheim (but not their mid-upper turrets. I'm sick of masking and'm stalling on those) and did a bit more filling on the Bisley:

39545370454_87b1e4b2d9_h.jpg20180213_214418 by Edward IX, on Flickr

38446148530_0a4c021e5b_h.jpg20180213_214426 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39358778975_ead4390750_h.jpg20180213_214702 by Edward IX, on Flickr

40212206352_56e738e13b_h.jpg20180213_222328 by Edward IX, on Flickr

26384167948_9dde4354de_h.jpg20180213_222325 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It feels kind of endless. Sod off, seams!

I also -- though it isn't immediately apparent -- sprayed the while half of the Blenheim's underbelly.

38446147450_6fb2d416bf_h.jpg20180213_222704 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

39358785865_f49e8396aa_h.jpg

I know things are tough, but did you really have to sell his hands and feet?

He looks concerned about which bit you are coming for next.

• Haha 11