From Failure to Failure

06/24

So, some slight progress today:

41170338035_6d9f308cad_h.jpg20180512_095012 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Some touch-up work to be done, the trumpets to be added, plus an aerial or two. But close now! 

Grant is no longer barfing, but it's now clear that the reason for all of what has passed before is that his top front teeth are coming in, and judging by the size his gums have swollen to, they must surely be larger than those of an adult donkey. 

Tomorrow is Mother's Day here, with Mrs P's 35th birthday hot on its heels on the 19th, and my wastrel younger brother's on the 14th, so I'm now rather out of pocket for the immediate foreseeable future (Mrs P is getting a new iPad 4 mini to replace her rather decrepit iPad mini 2), which is to say the Family Procopius is also rather out of pocket. I've been trying to abstain from model related purchases of late, but Mrs P has been caught in the grips of mommy madness and is more than making up the difference, often on things of questionable utility, like $100 worth of unbudgeted groceries from the local overpriced posh people grocery store* for a pre-birthday birthday dinner (on 4 May! That's like, a geological era before her birthday) that vanished so far up its own rump that it ended up being six hot dogs and a lot of pre-made potato salad. I'm starting to get the feeling that my own fiscal irresponsibility was all that was holding hers in check, and that for the good of our family, I should get back to wasting our money before she can. Nobody ever needs more potato salad.

* We live in a lower-middle class oasis in a sea of wealth, as I've mentioned before. The median family income for our town is $53,000; in one of the towns next to us (home to the lead singer from Smashing Pumpkins, though I've never seen him myself), it's $117,000, and in the other town next to us (where Mr T lived when I was a boy, and I did see his Rolls-Royce a lot in the late 1980s), it's $200,000+, because the census doesn't get very granular at that level of wealth. The end result is that one has to look pretty hard to even find a normal person grocery. There are no less than four upscale supermarkets within fifteen minutes of us, and only one more suited to the income of proles like ourselves. Try telling Mrs P that, though. 

• Like 13

That is looking rather nice PC👍🏻 I especially like the radiator rings on the cowls.

Try suggesting coleslaw as an alternative the potato salad?

Trevor

• Like 1

The Blenheim looks great and I'm glad to hear that the puking stopped.

PS. The average wage in the area I live is a little over £21K p.a. (just about $28K p.a.) but we have plenty of pound-shops and cheap supermarkets.

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that my own fiscal irresponsibility was all that was holding hers in check, and that for the good of our family, I should get back to wasting our money before she can. Nobody ever needs more potato salad.

There's a Nobel Prize-winner in economics if ever I heard of one: The Potato Salad Theory of Fiscal Irresponsibility and Adaptive Expectations.

Nice Blenheim, by the way.

Edited by Space Ranger
Add'l. info.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hi PC,

Very, very nice Blenheim, I've always preferred the Mark 1, it's just so much neater than, say the Mk 4....but it does look like a Do17 it's true, so a subject for blue on blue.....('friendly fire')

As to the vomiting sprog, I can offer no advice, being sprogless myself and my own sprogdom a distant memory....glad it's all over for you

Good luck with the household budgeting

All the best 

Geoff

Very nice builds! Looking good! :)

Took a while to go through all the pages though! :)

Håkan

I think we may have found another Letters from America radio star. That's this one BTW; Alistair Cooke KBE (20 November 1908 – 30 March 2004) NOT the cricket ball basher.

What is it with Americans and potato salad??

That Blenheim is looking rather splendid and it seems you are finally on the point of overcoming it's resistance to being a complete replica rather than a box of possibility. Well done for persevering with the blighter :D

On 13/05/2018 at 04:51, Procopius said:

Nobody ever needs potato salad.

There, just corrected things for you 😉

If it's any consolation, I live in the most expensive area in the U.K., with one income stream, working for the NHS (No I'm not a doctor). I feel your pain and often wonder how I manage to survive month to month 🤔

• Sad 3

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:53 AM, Max Headroom said:

That is looking rather nice PC👍🏻 I especially like the radiator rings on the cowls.

Try suggesting coleslaw as an alternative the potato salad?

Trevor

Not radiator. Exhaust collector rings.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 4:36 PM, The Spadgent said:

Oh and you just drop in that you lived by Mr T in the 80s. How ace is that!!! 🥛✈️

America, man. Curiously enough, the most famous person I've met is probably Neil Gaiman, a long way afield. I made an idiot of myself, but at least I didn't marry Amanda bloody Palmer.

Anyway, to hell with these. Done.

41411556005_d6f439c198_h.jpg20180523_211810 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 18

Good job mate B) I feel you might have passed the point at which these would have been a fun build some time ago and that it has been a bit of a grind since then, but your dogged perseverance was worth it, they turned out nicely :)

Cheers,

Stew

32 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good job mate B) I feel you might have passed the point at which these would have been a fun build some time ago and that it has been a bit of a grind since then

Yes, I always forget twin-engined aircraft are four times the work. 

My incredible adventures continue here.

• Like 2

Just now, 06/24 said:

Splendid work PC. Sorry my own efforts fell by the wayside.

No need for apologies, chum! They can fall off the wayside and back on the thoroughfare when you're ready.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Procopius said:
4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Yes, I always forget twin-engined aircraft are four times the work. 

Is this the introduction of an "engines squared" law? I think you are on to something. Would a trimotor be nine times the effort? And would a late B-36 be 100 (as opposed to 36 for an early one)??

I think we need to know.

Two really nice Blenheims there. I hope you can eventually dissociate them from your current stresses and appreciate them for fine examples of the modelmaker's art.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2