From Failure to Failure

06/24

34 minutes ago, Learstang said:

What exactly was the intention, other than the obvious one to make things difficult for us modellers?

Regards,

Jason

I believe it was to help with identification (i.e. a quick way of AA batteries to see what aircraft not to shoot at).

• Like 3

I see; so it wasn't just a clever and prescient plot to make the lives of future modellers miserable. Or was it?... The next thing you'll tell me is the fiendish squiggly pattern found on some German aircraft was there for camouflage purposes and not just to make me avoid (unable to paint) them. 

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Learstang said:

What exactly was the intention, other than the obvious one to make things difficult for us modellers?

Recognition; they perhaps over-rated our anti-aircraft capability...

Cheers,

Stew

Edit: Damn, ninja'd by Beard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

Regards,

Jason

My understanding was that it was for quick recognition, to avoid being shot down by trigger happy, jumpy but friendly anti-aircraft gunners.  Happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

Andrew

14 minutes ago, Andwil said:

to avoid being shot down by trigger happy, jumpy but friendly anti-aircraft gunners.  Happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

...and easily shot down by ENEMY gunners...:whistle:

Stuart

• Haha 2

Home stretch!

28040823368_254118af4e_h.jpg2018-05-05_01-15-52 by Edward IX, on Flickr

41194505604_4c26b81456_h.jpg2018-05-05_02-04-23 by Edward IX, on Flickr

A word to the wise if you're using the SBS engines and cowls (which you absolutely should, the kit cowls are horrid), don't bother using the back parts of the SBS cowl set, the ones with the cooling gills on them. They're too deep and don't quite fit right into the cowl. The kit ones should work fine. I'm going to have to sand the SBS ones down, having adjudged that to be less work that painting the kit ones and clipping them off the sprue. Well, that's my guess, anyway, We'll see how right I am soon. 

I'm so close. Just need to finish the wheels, the engines, and affix them and the props. Also a radio mast. 

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! The camouflage looks very smart under the gloss coat. 

Yeah...about that. My matt coate apparently now acts as a gloss coat, so here we are.

• Sad 1

Hey PC looking good. 

I once obsessed over the final finish. Too flat or too gloss...not suited to scale...all kinds of BS like that.

Now I use Vallejo flat and satin. If I like how it looks I'm good to go..onto the next one.

All the Best!

Don

Edited by DJJunis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is rather nice, PC! I've said it before (probably on this very thread), but I've always liked the 'short-nose' Blenheims best. The Mk.IV's a reasonable-looking beast, but the Mk.V looks like it was designed by a committee, one who's members never talked to each other (especially as regards the nose). Still, I have to admit to a strange liking for that misbegotten creature.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stalled again as my youngest is vomiting quite a lot right now. On the plus side, I'm learning a lot about the Hundred Years War. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Stalled again as my youngest is vomiting quite a lot right now. On the plus side, I'm learning a lot about the Hundred Years War.  

Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

A good (very tongue in cheek primer!) for English history is this book-1066 and all that you will love reading about the dark age Egg kings!

Read about it on wikipedia !

Selwyn

In fact, my mother had a copy when I was a boy, so I'm not altogether unfamiliar with the work.

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

In fact, my mother had a copy when I was a boy, so I'm not altogether unfamiliar with the work.

You see? I just knew you were a cultured chap!:thumbsup:

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Haha 2