From Failure to Failure

06/24

37 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

My heart goes out to you on this, I'm at a stage of looking back on opportunities lost & wondering what happened to those women, where are they now & have they had good lives? It sounds as though your wife will support you so begin jumping through the hoops & ticking the boxes till you discover your friends final resting place, it may help to bring some closure. The nursing home would be the place to start, maybe a family contact, maybe public records, do you have a public advice bureau in your part of the world which might help to open doors. Good luck.

Steve.

Thanks. I talked briefly today with the nurse who was her roommate and caregiver at the end. What I heard was not pleasant. I'm calling back tomorrow to learn more. I have some info from public records, but there's not much available.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Today in tortuous, incremental progress, I got the gun barrels on the Bisley for both the B.X and FN60:

26549269407_f5f89209bc_h.jpg20180412_181446 by Edward IX, on Flickr

40525237035_df01678fad_h.jpg20180412_181436 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Unfortunately the B.X's slots are far too narrow to fit any gun barrels known to man, so they're askew. Fine. FINE.

40525237075_bd7adb24fc_h.jpg20180412_181449 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 18

On 4/10/2018 at 11:51 PM, Procopius said:

So, and I feel bad taking us back to the mundane, my SBS cowls arrived today, AND my wife and children are AWOL

The setting for the perfect crime... 

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Unfortunately the B.X's slots are far too narrow to fit any gun barrels known to man, so they're askew. Fine.

I got the same feeling from the little etched handles Eduard wish you to believe will fit in the too-narrow slots in the dashboard of the Hellcat. Choose your camera angles carefully and you should be fine. The Bis is looking the biz.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

You know there is a message in a song for you don't you PC

You know that little country ditty about buckets and available holes...

😱

If the slot don't fit, mend it dear Eduardo, mend it!

Do you want to borrow a thin Swann-Morton to fix it with

Atcherrley if I ignore the slight splay, which I understand could be arranged by the squadron armourers at the request of the AG driving the turret, (aim-off) it really does look kinda magnificent, that there Bisley.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Still here, still not getting any time or inclination to model stuff, still sending m'learned colleague in the mid-west my best wishes, thoughts and positive vibes etc etc during what has been a particularly dismal winter in all sorts of senses.

Bisley looks splendid, barrels and all. Bravo sir

Keep on keeping on...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I managed to get three props painted today during the fifteen minutes Winston deigned to even pretend to nap. To add insult to injury, once our entire family, wide awake, was assembled before me, Parent B immediately retreated upstairs and went to sleep. Ho ho ho. 

But there is a higher justice, and it works in mysterious ways. Tonight, Winston broke out of his bedroom and into our room, used his footstool to gain access to the top of his mom's dresser, and then proceeded to dump all of Mrs P's $75/bottle essential oils* into his hair and rub her foot cream(!) into his cheeks. He then strolled downstairs at 9 PM and tried to very casually walk past me into the kitchen to throw away the evidence.

When Mrs P saw him, she yelled "no, Winston! You didn't get into my essential oils, did you?"

He laughed, the deep, powerful laugh of a full grown man. "HA HA HA HA HA I DID." He smelled like a French brothel. 

* Yes, I know they do absolutely nothing, but pseudoscience has a powerful hold on the mind of the SUV-driving American mom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

Awww, bless him, using tools! I hope you got some photos?

That's the sort of story he'll regret at his 18th birthday party and wedding. Revenge is a dish...

But wait, I have an idea!

You'll need a couple of buckets and a pipette.

Fill the buckets with water.

Retrieve the oil bottle from the trash.

Very carefully drop one drop (just one mind) of oil into the water in one bucket and stir for five minutes.

Using the pipette, take one drop of the mixture and put it in the other bucket.

Repeat this until you can just still smell the oil and voila! Homeopathic essential oil! MUCH more powerful!!

You could print up some 'Winnie's Oil, Inspired by Our Son' labels with a cute photo of him on the front and probably sell them from the back of the SUV to other SUV driving Moms for, ooh I don't know, $30 a bottle?

College fund sorted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very carefully drop one drop (just one mind) of oil into the water in one bucket and stir for five minutes.

Using the pipette, take one drop of the mixture and put it in the other bucket.

Repeat this until you can just still smell the oil and voila! Homeopathic essential oil! MUCH more powerful!!

No no no...  You have to remove ALL traces of the oil, leaving just the molecular memory of it in the now powerfully energised water!  This is the strongest Homoeopathic concentration that exists!

It will enrich your existence and prepare you for an auspicious reincarnation into the next! Increase your spirituality by alleviating you of surplus material wealth!  Win new friends!  Lead to great positive Karma!  Help you become one with the Universe!  Promote inner peace!  A life changing experience in every precious drop contained in each perfectly formed sacred bottle, crafted by holy mystic Tibetan artisans in their workshop in an isolated monastery in the ancient and mysterious Cotswolds!

I could go on, but I'm bored now. 

• Haha 9

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Space Ranger said:

I'm not having such a good week, myself. I recently discovered that my college sweetheart of 52 years ago, a beautiful, sweet, gentle, loving young woman whom I almost married but broke up and lost contact with due to a misunderstanding, was now in an assisted living/nursing care center in a small town less than a three-hour drive from here. Three weeks ago I wrote her a long, heartfelt letter hoping to reconnect as friends. After receiving no reply, but the letter not being returned by the postal system, I called the nursing care center yesterday. I learned that she never received the letter. She died two years ago. Her obituary was never published, so I have no idea where she was laid to rest. I feel absolutely gutted. Fortunately, my wife is an angel who understands and is helping me process the grief I feel.

I only just spotted this.  Bless you, dear comrade; this sort of thing is never easy to accept.  I lost contact with my closest friend and Best Man - temporarily, I thought - only to find out that he had died two years previously.  It didn't help when my daughter (about 7 at the time) on hearing about how my friend had died of cancer remarked: "But dad! This is what you do!  Why didn't you go to him?"

At the time, had I known, I would have; of course I would have. 

My wife treated my grieving with nothing but disdain.  Our Best Man.

Requiescat in Pace.

Edited by Chillidragon
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

But there is a higher justice, and it works in mysterious ways. Tonight, Winston broke out of his bedroom and into our room, used his footstool to gain access to the top of his mom's dresser, and then proceeded to dump all of Mrs P's $75/bottle essential oils* into his hair and rub her foot cream(!) into his cheeks. He then strolled downstairs at 9 PM and tried to very casually walk past me into the kitchen to throw away the evidence.

When Mrs P saw him, she yelled "no, Winston! You didn't get into my essential oils, did you?"

He laughed, the deep, powerful laugh of a full grown man. "HA HA HA HA HA I DID." He smelled like a French brothel. 

* Yes, I know they do absolutely nothing, but pseudoscience has a powerful hold on the mind of the SUV-driving American mom.

They may not do absolutely nothing, they may do absolutely something, if Winston doesn't give up the essential oil thing, he may become the daughter that Mrs P yearns for. albeit with extras. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

He smelled like a French brothel. 

I'm going to assume that you've spent time talking to neighbours/distant relatives/strange chaps that you met at modelmaking conventions who have served in parts foreign and described this scent to you. Mebbe you read it in a book. Because surely you've never even been to France?

(Or should I have ignored the:elephant: and forbore to mention the issue. Hmm.)

I am still chuckling/worried about the 'broke out of his bedroom' part. Stalag Luft P, perhaps?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

How many emoticons could you use for Winston...

Don't forget Mr P, one day he WILL find his way to your modelling world...

We go down to see "my airpanes" about every other day. He's been following the progress on the Blenheims closely, since he figures I'm building one specifically for him. Also the door locks.

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'm going to assume that you've spent time talking to neighbours/distant relatives/strange chaps that you met at modelmaking conventions who have served in parts foreign and described this scent to you. Mebbe you read it in a book. Because surely you've never even been to France?

There's a lot you don't know about me, Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

I am still chuckling/worried about the 'broke out of his bedroom' part. Stalag Luft P, perhaps?

He figured out how to turn the light on a while ago, so Mrs P just unscrews the bulb now when she puts him down for the night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 4/10/2018 at 09:04, Space Ranger said:

I'm not having such a good week, myself. I recently discovered that my college sweetheart of 52 years ago, a beautiful, sweet, gentle, loving young woman whom I almost married but broke up and lost contact with due to a misunderstanding, was now in an assisted living/nursing care center in a small town less than a three-hour drive from here. Three weeks ago I wrote her a long, heartfelt letter hoping to reconnect as friends. After receiving no reply, but the letter not being returned by the postal system, I called the nursing care center yesterday. I learned that she never received the letter. She died two years ago. Her obituary was never published, so I have no idea where she was laid to rest. I feel absolutely gutted. Fortunately, my wife is an angel who understands and is helping me process the grief I feel.

I have since learned that no obituary was published because none was ever written; she was cremated, and no memorial service was held. But I also learned that she was blessed to have had a close friend and roommate for seventeen years, a registered nurse who took care of Marie when her health began to fail and was with her to the end. Her friend also told me that when they met, Marie had been living in a group home/halfway house in a small town, divorced, estranged from her only child, and all alone. She had worked as a lab technician but had had to retire early due to a disability, and possibly as a result was also in financial distress, because there is a public record of a bankruptcy. Marie had two sisters and a brother, but they never informed her friend of the exact cause of Marie’s death, and while there was talk of a memorial service, the family members never got around to it.

I am distraught beyond words over the setbacks and heartbreak she had suffered in her life since I knew her. This sweet, loving, gentle woman deserved much better. I was able to compile a brief obituary from available public information and published it on my Facebook page. I am no longer affiliated with any religious denomination or have any religious beliefs, but because Marie was Catholic, I went to the nearest Catholic church one afternoon last week and lit a candle for her. And then I sat in the chapel for half an hour, alone with my thoughts, staring at her photo on my cell phone, and bawling my eyes out.

If you love someone, tell that person before it is too late. There may not be another opportunity.

I thank all of you who replied for your expressions of condolence. They have really helped me deal with this. I now return you to our regularly scheduled programme.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

27659103798_3db0c148c8_h.jpg20180417_202534 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Bisley's done. 

Okay, fine technically I need to add the fuel dump pipes, but I've had a bit to drink and it seems risky right now, but let's call it done and leave it at that, shall we?

40816621764_c0e7668577_h.jpg20180417_202621 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 22

1 minute ago, Harley John said:

Looks good, best leave it to finish later. 

It's far from my best work, but I have an excuse.

1 minute ago, Harley John said:

I feel so much better about the state of mine now.

My workbench is usually a pretty good indicator of my mental state.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

My workbench is usually a pretty good indicator of my mental state

Oh, never thought of it like that! I've always put it down to me being the most disorganised person in the world.

PC - your "far from my best work" is of a standard far far higher than anything I can achieve and especially when you consider all the distractions you've had during the build.