From Failure to Failure

06/24

4 hours ago, CedB said:

A run! How are the knees?

Fine after the run, less fine after crawling all over the floor to pick up a thousand toys belonging to my burdensome children. Also both are scabbed over because I got spectacularly drunk last Thursday and decided to test my sense of balance by taking a running leap -- I just soared up and came down like a penguin sliding on its belly down the ice. 

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice looking engines...never heard of SBS though.

They've done some other useful correction sets -- one for the rudder of the Airfix Canberra, and another for the radome of the Revell Tornado.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

:beer: :beer::beer: >> :drunk: >> :penguin:??  Lesson #167 :D

I'm not normally a drinking man, but I had managed to stop my employer from putting out an egregiously racist ad that had made it past every other gatekeeper, and I met with a former and current coworker to celebrate. Four old fashioneds and six shots of Fernet have an effect on me, it turns out. Amazingly, no hangover at all!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 3/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, Procopius said:

belonging to my burdensome children. Also both are scabbed over....

What? Oh, the knees! I thought you meant the kids!

Glad to hear that the knees were the only victims of evening's celebrations!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 27/03/2018 at 4:21 AM, Procopius said:

I should note, SBS also wants you to use some 0.4mm wire, so I need to secure some.

Go for the innards of telephone wire, that's if you still have telephones that plug into your house over there.

What with all the the talk of the demon drink and Welsh Baptists, making me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Box On

Strickers

On 3/28/2018 at 4:05 PM, HAMP man said:

Go for the innards of telephone wire, that's if you still have telephones that plug into your house over there.

Nope! Not for a decade or so.

Well, what a week it's been. After enduring John Deere hell in tractor capital of Middle America Moline, Illinois (Moline is in the far west of Illinois, and I as a Chicagoan -- now -- regard it with the same horror a Roman of the metropole might regard some hairy-visaged Goth from the barbarous provinces) on behalf of a two-year-old who will never remember this, so that we'll have to do the "don't you remember? We ruined a perfectly good weekend for you; we loved you, once" dance with him in his awkward teenaged years, life followed up with the exciting revelation from Mrs P on the drive home that she felt our marriage was more or less on the rocks and that when I joked about her being repulsed by me I was in fact accurately describing the situation as it stood, so that's kind of an elephant in the room for us right now*, what fun, and the left arm of my glasses was broken by an errant kick from Winston as he fell down a flight of stairs (I caught him) after running carelessly down them despite five thousand warnings from me, because children are engines of their own destruction, so now my glasses fall off whenever I look down, and I live with someone who's two-foot-six, so that's pretty often, so I sort of feel like I'm losing my mind right now. On the plus side, I managed three miles in 23 minutes on a run yesterday, so that cold comfort will have to tide me over until the universe rights its goddamn ship.

So anyway, in between cleaning the oven -- first time in seven years, I'm sick of the smoke alarms going off whenever we cook -- and assembling and hiding fifty-plus Easter eggs for two children who will be too young to remember it, one of whom can't even eat solid food (but GOD FORBID I not have some Easter eggs for Grant to open, so he feels included -- Grant can't even crawl, let alone perform the evolutions necessary to open a cheap plastic egg full of cheap terrible candy) to demonstrate My Commitment to the idea of a ridiculously commercial and relentlessly banal Easter, I did a little work on the Bisley, but really, I might as well not have bothered.

41148435331_9422d3c191_h.jpg20180331_214027 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I unmasked it and attached the turret as you can see, because I was sick of not unmasking it. And how did all of my painstaking masking pay off? Why, I might as well have painted it with my own shaky hands using a brush, given how poorly it turned out. 

41148429691_e6b09c484c_h.jpg20180331_214031 by Edward IX, on Flickr

41105105262_2c455cfef9_h.jpg20180331_214040 by Edward IX, on Flickr

41105102432_60715cbfc5_h.jpg20180331_214053 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I brushed some pigments on to try and fade the uppersurfaces, but of course the photo's blurry:

41148421761_22555bc0a8_h.jpg20180331_214748 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Anyway, I have to go finish the oven and listen to Parent B's earnest-and-not-at-all-insane screeds about how important it is that our children get cheap gewgaws in budget-distorting numbers immediately a needless and needlessly expensive trip to a blighted hellhole. Happy Easter, I guess.

* Yes we're working on things. Nothing dramatic is likely to happen, since our health insurance comes through me. Apparently she dislikes my relentless negativity, which I mean, there's virtually nothing else of me besides that! How could you have come this far and taken this long to figure out you hated that? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 9

I wanted to give you a :D for superb prose, a :thumbsup: for the Bisley, egregiously ugly illegitimate offspring of a Blenheim that it is & a :( for your domestic woes, I can relate to so much of it though you're discovering it younger than I have. Chin up Eduardo, we still love ya! :)

Steve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ah, having read Steve's post I realise it's possible my :lol: was inappropriate, but I'm working on the assumption that the story was dead-panned out for our amusement and... erm, well if I am wrong, sorry for my lack of empathy :) 

The Bisley looks fine - I can see what you mean about the masking, I have often had the same issue but for me it improved noticeably following some advice from the lovely @Duncan B which was to get no more paint and varnish on the canopy framing/masking than is required as the thicker it gets the more likely to crack, flake and peel. For what it's worth though, yours does not look bad in the photographs and I would not have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.

Anyway as Steve says, chin up mate and stay frosty :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ah, having read Steve's post I realise it's possible my :lol: was inappropriate, but I'm working on the assumption that the story was dead-panned out for our amusement and... erm, well if I am wrong, sorry for my lack of empathy :) 

Everything I do is for your delectation, but my wife really did insinuate she wanted to divorce me and that she hated how much I'd changed* after a spirited discussion about whether our children need to attend private high school. (I did, and I can tell you right now, nobody needs to.) I don't think we will, mind, but you never know. Financially it doesn't really make sense.

* Cited ways I'd changed: I confessed I hate macaroni and cheese (boy do I ever!), and I sometimes disagree with her now instead of going along with whatever idiot notion whistles through her head.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

:lol: Oops, did it again...

I quite like macaroni cheese; one of Scotland's great culinary contributions to the world - and as an adopted Dundonian I fondly believe that it actually originated in Dundee - is the Macaroni Cheese Pie* which however dreadful it might sound to you, when done well is a thing of heart-clogging beauty ideally suited to a stagger home from the pub on a cold winter's night.

Cheers,

Stew

* My capitalisation, because it's worth it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I quite like macaroni cheese; one of Scotland's great culinary contributions to the world - and as an adopted Dundonian I fondly believe that it actually originated in Dundee - is the Macaroni Cheese Pie* which however dreadful it might sound to you, when done well is a thing of heart-clogging beauty ideally suited to a stagger home from the pub on a cold winter's night.

My stance is that it looks like maggots writhing in pus, and I've cleaned up far too much of it that Winston, in one of his egalitarian moods, has redistributed throughout the house. I'm sorry, Stew, but if the fate of the world comes down to two armies meeting on some sun-baked plain, one under the banner of macaroni and cheese, and one under the banner of literally anything else, you and I will be fated to meet in deadly combat. Though not too deadly, as I have weak arms and tire quickly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Wow, PC, that's some heavy stuff for you to be dealing with. If I were religious, I might include you in my prayers (unless I was worshipping Shub-Niggurath or her ilk, 'cos if there's one thing that's guaranteed to make a deity malevolent, it's having a thousand children. I think you can relate.) But I'm not, so I'll stick to hope that "stuff" works out for you.

• Haha 4

Best of British to you for the domestics PC. Sure things will turn out fine in the end. Just that it's not pleasant at the time. 

I think the canopy looks alright. Don't forget it's being magnified and subject to harsh directional lighting which always exaggerates any flaws. Good advice from Stew though care of Duncan - less is more regarding paint and varnish on canopies.

Oh and I'm with you on the macaroni and cheese...ugh 'orrible stuff (sorry Stew). Anyroad if you need an extra foot soldier for the battle to save the world against macaroni cheese just drop me a PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gosh I'm sorry to hear about your domestic trouble and strife. I just hope it's a temporary feature caused largely by energetic small children - nature's way of controlling family sizes. Running after two year olds* all day can make you hate the world and everyone in it, including your co-parent.

On the school front I'm tempted to agree, having carried out an extremely expensive experiment with a statistically insignificant number of offspring. We were pushed into it by the lack of decent primary schools at the time in inner London. For my elder child in particular (and he was the reason we even started on that track), it was almost counter productive, because private schools deal with pupils who don't fit at some stage by suggesting they leave before they damage the school's academic statistics, not by trying to help them. For my younger child, it was a mix of good and bad teachers and a few close friends, just like it would have been at pretty much any (cheaper) school. And the induced financial stresses act the same way as the stresses induced by parenting.

However, if it doesn't involve non-returnable deposits, you could agree to think about the option now, and then you have nine years or so to talk Mrs P out of it and find other options. 

Good stuff with the running though. I'm currently stuck at around eight and a half minutes a mile on a good (and infrequent) day...

(Sorry for the Cockney rhyming slang in the opening sentence too. Couldn't resist.)

Regards,

Adrian

* insert almost any number between two and twenty here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

For my elder child in particular (and he was the reason we even started on that track), it was almost counter productive, because private schools deal with pupils who don't fit at some stage by suggesting they leave before they damage the school's academic statistics, not by trying to help them.

My experience (as a pupil), too. Amazing how they milked some parents for years of fees, then found a reason to expel their child in the final year. The reasons weren't concocted, but the school had overlooked similar offences before, and for abler pupils. That said, my academic year set a (short-lived) school record for the number of expulsions, all of which were drug or sex related.

6 hours ago, amblypygid said:

That said, my academic year set a (short-lived) school record for the number of expulsions, all of which were drug or sex related.

Wow, we didn't have any of that stuff on the curriculum at my Comprehensive :(

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 5

The Bis-ley looks the bis-ness PC. (huh? huh?)

Sorry to hear about the domestic troubles - particularly the broken glasses and macaroni distribution project which are real "seriously?" moments. The rest will require delicate negotiations akin to those ongoing between the macaroni and cheese supporters and detractors.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your familial woes, Procopius. I can identify with some of it. As the father of three daughter who were born in a 4 year spread, raising children can be quite the chore. As I also worked shift work, that was an added dimension to the whole process. Coming home from a long overly busy 12-hour nightshift at the plant only to be told the missus has a doctors appointment at 11:00 am and that I have to stay up and look after 6-month old, a 2-year old and a 4-year old sounded totally insane. By the time the missus got back in the house, it was 12:30 and I had to be awake again at 5:30 to get ready for another nightshift. And that's just one day of the story. The school years added a whole new twist to the tail.

Anyways, enough of my uninteresting life. Your Bisley looks great! I especially like the look of the engines.

Chris

• Like 1