From Failure to Failure

06/24

Jonners, you ain't kidding about the fit of the cowls.

39081132824_bfa8aa23a4_b.jpg20180119_235837 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I disliked it so much, I'm trying filler on them. (I should have used sheet styrene, but I have almost none at hand.)

39759410722_c3d8cf62a6_b.jpg20180120_001101 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Yeah mine will need filler. They were very reluctant to close up, and the top one in particular is very obvious.

In hindsight, some vigorous sanding of the cylinder heads might make sense, since any loss of detail would be hidden by the collector ring. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 06/24 said:

two TSR.2 kits in the gentleman's scale and I have none.

Not to add to the jealousy quotient, but at one time I had 3 of them. Plus a pair of the bigger ones. (Fnarr fnarr.)

Sanity prevailed and I am down to just one of each now. Both unbuilt, like the umpty-farsand others in the stash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

In hindsight, some vigorous sanding of the cylinder heads might make sense, since any loss of detail would be hidden by the collector ring.

But, judging by PC's pictures, wouldn't that risk having the cowlings sink below the level of the collector ring? The problem appears to be that the cowling pieces are a little too short.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Yeah mine will need filler. They were very reluctant to close up, and the top one in particular is very obvious.

Thanks for the heads up gents - I'm starting mine today :sleepy:

It will be interesting to see how much difference removing material from the cylinder heads makes to the overall fit of the cowlings, worst come to worst I'll just do the same as you chaps and fill the gaps with styrene. 

laters

Iain

• Like 2

This is an excellent presentation you guys.

Thanks for taking the time and the results are looking grand.

All the Best!

Don

ps Edward too bad we're not a bit closer I could have dropped some plastic off.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Thanks for the heads up gents - I'm starting mine today :sleepy:

It will be interesting to see how much difference removing material from the cylinder heads makes to the overall fit of the cowlings, worst come to worst I'll just do the same as you chaps and fill the gaps with styrene. 

laters

Iain

Just be wary of Chris's observation.

I doubt it's possible, but perhaps fixing them to the collector ring, then "adjusting" the cylinder assembly to fit would work?

22 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Just be wary of Chris's observation.

I doubt it's possible, but perhaps fixing them to the collector ring, then "adjusting" the cylinder assembly to fit would work?

Yeah I’ve been thinking about that. I’ll probably take the same route as you and Edward  cleaning up the cowlings shouldn’t be too much of a problem 👍

• Like 1

So, what's a bit more filler between friends, eh?

38897700605_ff5d248833_c.jpgGentle progress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25924152988_4a5c7bd700_c.jpgGentle progress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

However, I don't think filler will sort this:

38897700125_c5170738d8_c.jpgGentle progress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

So I'll need to dig out some plastic strip. The IV bomb-bay is closed and (whisper it) I just didn't bother to fit the divider in that one.

Went to my two local hobby shops this afternoon, but only bought two tins of paint. Wonderland had hardly any Airfix at all, which was a tad worrying. No Phantoms, no B25s, etc etc. The other shop had one B25 but it's not a must buy for me, tbh, I'll probably wait for the re-issued Marauder. 

• Like 5

Harburn Hobbies on Leith Walk. Mostly trains but a decent selection of Airfix and Revell, and few oddities - there's a Fujimi GR3 Harrier on the shelf.

Mclaren Models in Falkirk also have a few Airfix and the occasional second hand bits and pieces, but mostly die cast.

I am very lucky to have three proper shops within 20 miles, plus Hobbycraft.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Went to my two local hobby shops this afternoon, but only bought two tins of paint. Wonderland had hardly any Airfix at all, which was a tad worrying. No Phantoms, no B25s, etc etc. The other shop had one B25 but it's not a must buy for me, tbh, I'll probably wait for the re-issued Marauder. 

Nice job on the Blenheims and a good thread to follow - it's been very amusing. I've just finished the night fighter boxing myself and thoroughly enjoyed the build, albeit running into exactly the same fit problems as you and Procopius - it's a somewhat demanding kit, but rewarding.

Are you sure they had the new Airfix B-25? I don't doubt your powers of observation (although it obviously sounds like I do!) but I have two on pre-order from Airfix and I've not heard diddly from them yet. They have an expected release date of February on the website. Enquiring minds and all that...

Regards, Jeff

• Like 1

Some more filler on top of the nacelles

25930391338_4a6cd07f17_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

and I have started to add the bomb bay gubbins

38903773785_958061ccf5_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

As seen earlier, the central divider needed some plastic strip to pack the gaps (still to be trimmed at the front when set)

39092769404_80b2448464_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And I've started on the bombs, but they weren't very well moulded. I need a suggestion for the mustard colour, or would they be green by Autumn 1940?

39092769624_6589aa36c7_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Such precision modelling (!?!) needs precision tools.

25930391358_6bc92b5a45_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

thats enough for tonight, I'm off to watch Where Eagles Dare and drink the precision tools...

• Like 10

PS, anyone emulating this nonsense, be warned the bomb racks don't fit - I had to drill the holes out which loses any precision in the location. Possibly they would fit if there was no paint, but I am not confident.

14 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Harburn Hobbies on Leith Walk. Mostly trains but a decent selection of Airfix and Revell, and few oddities - there's a Fujimi GR3 Harrier on the shelf.

Mclaren Models in Falkirk also have a few Airfix and the occasional second hand bits and pieces, but mostly die cast.

I am very lucky to have three proper shops within 20 miles, plus Hobbycraft.

Cheers Jon, that's a couple more to have a look for when I'm next doon sooth! 

• Like 1

Nice work on the bomb bay and cowlings Jon. I must get hold of some of that 'precision tool' stuff - looks just the job! :D

You are very lucky to have multiple model shops close - I would envy you but my bank balance would suffer!

• Like 2

Family outing to Grannie Mac's todayin the snow, so not much progress, but the Mk IV has got its sticky out bits added:

28041794589_90682aa048_c.jpgSticky out bits by jongwinnett, on Flickr

39788347502_eb4def67ab_c.jpgSticky out bits by jongwinnett, on Flickr

28041794189_3a2a6d42de_c.jpgSticky out bits by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Not visible in the photos, but the cockpit side trumpet (pitot? air speed indicator?) and the fuel dump pipes (?) under the wings have had their ends drilled out and shaved with a scalpel blade. It may not show now, but can be highlighted once the paint has been applied.

Now it's got these added, it will either have to stay on the paint stand or I'll have to fit the wheels so it can stand up, but I'm leaning towards keeping it on the stand as it'll be easier to mask.

• Like 5

Thank you. I knew somebody would know.

Tonight's entertainment is brought to you by courtesy of a pint of Orkney Dark Island and an airbrush full of Colourcoats Night, both being a similar colour ;)

39821912211_833fa4ce50_c.jpgNight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

39821912111_6c052da8ed_c.jpgNight by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Have I mentioned just how much I like this paint? Used with the matching thinner it's a dream to apply, even with my total lack of airbrush experience and ten quid Chinese airbrush. And it's less smelly than most acrylic lacquer systems I've tried, not to mention any aerosol. So much so there hasn't been a word of complaint from the normally hypersensitive nose of Mrs 06/24!

I suspect it may need a second coat to add depth to the colour, but it looks good to my eye already, and rather than rush things, it's in the airing cupboard to dry overnight.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That's looking mighty fine Jon, I do like the that shade of black my usual go to colours are either Tamiya NATO black for general stuff and rubber black for, well rubber stuff. 

I gotta get me some colourcoats and see what all the fuss is about 😎

Cheers mate

Iain

• Like 1

Looking at the pictures again it's apparent that the fuselage seam has not disappeared as I would have liked. Putty and sanding in my future I fear.

Iain, I was very doubtful about going back to enamels, the slow drying times and smell made me think they wouldn't be "family friendly" but although the drying time is slower, with Jamie's dryish spray method it's not too bad, just need to plan ahead and paint at the end of a session. 

• Like 3