From Failure to Failure

06/24

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Well I think she's cute.

I have to confess, as a bloke I've always been a little unclear on what the etiquette is here.

It's like the man-to-man equivalent of "does my bum look big in this?". Is it possible to respond in a manner that cannot be misconstrued? :lol:

• Like 3

Let me be clear: in no way was I intending to impugn the loveliness of Mrs P.

I think it's a genuine cultural difference between the UK and US. An American lady will take away the message "I'm even more attractive now", whereas over here one's wife would be saying "So when, exactly, was I less attractive??".

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

It's a minefield eh?

Here's how I see possible responses going:

Response 1 "Agreed, she's really cute" >>>> "How dare you look at my wife like that? Pistols at dawn!"

Response 2 "She's not that cute" >>>> "And what is wrong with her? Pistols at dawn!"

Response 3 "Meh, she's alright" >>>> "What exactly is that supposed to mean? Pistols at dawn!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

Let's get this clear PC

I agree with you

She's cute

She has all the genetic business in her favour

She's cute

She's a red head

And she'd scare me as much as our own dear redheaded harridan does

But definitely cute

Hey lads will that get us out of trouble?

Or..............

😕

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

Let's get this clear PC

I agree with you

She's cute

She has all the genetic business in her favour

She's cute

She's a red head

And she'd scare me as much as our own dear redheaded harridan does

But definitely cute

Hey lads will that get us out of trouble?

Or..............

😕

Us, maybe. I don't fancy your chances if your own redhead reads it though :lol:

• Haha 9

Aw no, she'll be OK with that

She'd see it as the warning not to mess it actually is

None of us want to be on the wrong end of that skillet

There's folk on another forum with singed fingers and bruises, well deserved at that

:wicked:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, robvulcan said:

Yep I am back good to hear from you missed you all. Cant belive its been 3 years !!!!

Rob, can we just check that you haven't dyed your hair red?  If you have, you might want to read a couple of pages back before you say anything else...

• Haha 10

Where do I start? I have just caught up with this....erm (thread seems to do the whole ensemble a great injustice) body of work. I have sat and read (and in some parts reread) right the way through and have been entertained beyond what should be possible on a model forum.

I have used up all my 'Likes' in one sitting, I have laughed and I have even drawn Mrs B in to share some of the finer points. 

There are too many highlights to comment on each and every one but I felt a connection with the quote about the difference in US and UK Superheroes. I was instantly transported back to my early days growing up with neighbours all around who still had their tin hats, mess tins and water bottles in their sheds, some who walked with limps and some who had grown prematurely old waiting for their partner's return. Oh and there has been some top notch modelling thrown in for good measure too.

You guys might be on to something here, have you ever thought of writing a book?

Duncan B (inspired to try Rum and modelling, I have awoken The Kraken!) edit; and jolly nice it is too

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Rob, can we just check that you haven't dyed your hair red?  If you have, you might want to read a couple of pages back before you say anything else...

Thats got my interest wonder what the hell this is about haha. Nope my hair is black brown and grey in places haha

• Like 3

Apologies for the lack of actual modelling this evening. Mrs 06/24* and I have been for our first night out as a couple, just the two of us, in about five years. 

In the years before and after 06/24 minor's diagnosis such a luxury was pretty much unthinkable, and it is reflection of how much progress he has made, that tonight for the first time in perhaps ten years, we went to a rugby match together. And Edinburgh won.

So although no plastic has been cut, or paint sprayed, tonight has been bloody marvellous.

*Like Mrs PC, Mrs 06/24 seems to improve with age. I, on the other hand, get wider and balder with each passing year.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

I'm not saying anything about anything, especially redheads. Upset one and take your choice of attack parrots or skillett.....or worse, the dreaded silence!

Ian

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I have to confess, as a bloke I've always been a little unclear on what the etiquette is here.

It's like the man-to-man equivalent of "does my bum look big in this?". Is it possible to respond in a manner that cannot be misconstrued? :lol:

It's a hazy one, certainly. I once, struggling to think of something socially acceptable to say (a struggle I often lose), told a friend his wife looked "practical". He's never quite forgiven me.

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Let me be clear: in no way was I intending to impugn the loveliness of Mrs P.

I think it's a genuine cultural difference between the UK and US. An American lady will take away the message "I'm even more attractive now", whereas over here one's wife would be saying "So when, exactly, was I less attractive??".

Regards,

Adrian

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to use Mrs P as a good example of a typical American woman. I love her, but she's incredibly weird.

11 hours ago, Duncan B said:

You guys might be on to something here, have you ever thought of writing a book?

Yes, but I have very low self-esteem, so not for long. Always wanted to be a writer, but things didn't really pan out, in the end. Unless you count tweets, which I don't. In the vanishingly small universe of bar association social media managers, I'm generally considered to be reasonably funny/decent at my job, but it's...it's not a cutthroat field, you know?

7 hours ago, 06/24 said:

*Like Mrs PC, Mrs 06/24 seems to improve with age. I, on the other hand, get wider and balder with each passing year.

Heavy with goodness, Jonners, heavy with goodness.

Blenheim news:

I sanded down the nose clear parts a bit to improve the fit and (hopefully) make them look slightly less egregious:

39630270612_58c262d6b0_b.jpg20180112_235143 by Edward IX, on Flickr

38763918565_ccdd42b278_b.jpg20180112_235205 by Edward IX, on Flickr

24792009077_d835b8d255_b.jpg20180112_235158 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Once it's all masked up like this, there's only so much sanding a man can do if he doesn't also enjoy retracing his footsteps, of course, and I don't, which complicates things. 

I then figured "well, why not?" and slapped the wings on:

38952019214_6bf45a537a_b.jpg20180113_000031 by Edward IX, on Flickr

These butt-join against the fuselage in semi-recessed slots that are an entirely different cross-section to the wing (mercifully larger rather than smaller, though)

The butts* of the wings are terribly, terribly uneven, and of course a lot of enthusiastic sanding may not so much as have corrected this as made one wing too short or something awful like that. Looks okay...for now, though.

24792004947_8b4b0e0107_b.jpg20180113_000045 by Edward IX, on Flickr

think it's close enough to the Airfix one to be okay, but because I'm gonna have to fill in the wing-fuselage gaps, it will be impossible to correct once the kit is painted...and I'll be adding the landing gear after I paint the aircraft.

38952015074_2f7cbec9b6_b.jpg20180113_000525 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Exciting.

I also used some PPP to try and kind of fill in any gaps on the Blenheim I:

38763914185_953b95e83e_b.jpg20180113_000114 by Edward IX, on Flickr

* Heh. Butts.

• Like 16

Well they both look splendid. You've manhandled the butts quite magnificently (not a phrase I expected to type today) and the pair look like, well, a pair.

You also look like you've made a good job with the Mk1 cockpit, which is a joy I have yet to attempt. As my reward for last night's outing is to have woken up feeling (at least how I imagine it feels) like a zombie. Whatever nascent ill has been hovering round me for the last few days has used happiness as an excuse to kick my legs out from under me, quite literally or so it feels.

I'm off to do my chores then back to bed. I may be some time.

• Like 5

Ahhh...? So the Bolingbroke is equipped with the different engine cowls. Is this in addition to where it was made?

Bit of a learning curve going on here, but this thread seems to provide loads of edjamakashun.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:56 AM, 06/24 said:

I have a mild dose of man flu and not the onset of the full bore Aussie variety which is currently decimating our office...:nuke:

Oh dear. What are the symptoms of this dreaded lurgy? I'm imagining an outbreak of hats with corks around the brim, ice-coold beer attached to one hand and a didgeridoo in the other.:cheers:

On 1/12/2018 at 2:45 PM, limeypilot said:

Upset one and take your choice of attack parrots or skillett.....or worse, the dreaded silence!

Now, the skill here is to enjoy the silence! The trick is to appear to hate it...;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Alan P said:

This is a great thread guys! 

I think I spotted some great modelling as well :clap2:

Alan 

Modelling, it does put in an appearance from time to time, hopefully not too often 'cause it disturbs the rhythm of an otherwise amazing & entertaining thread. ;):D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Modelling, it does put in an appearance from time to time, hopefully not too often 'cause it disturbs the rhythm of an otherwise amazing & entertaining practical thread. ;):D

Fixed that one for you, steve.

• Haha 8

Nice sanding PC and good work on the (snurf snurf) butts. She's looking good with the wings on :)

'Practical women' are great so I don't know why he wasn't happy with your comment - no pleasing some people!

Jon - good to hear you had a great 'date night' and I hope you get well soon :)

• Haha 2