From Failure to Failure

06/24

Darn it! Those were the next thing I was going to try, the Eduard sticky paper belts. I have one set just waiting to be put on my Airfix Gladiator II, and the other set is slated to go on my Sword Spitfire PR.IV. Now I'm not so sure; the last thing I want is to have those seat belts sticking to each other whilst I'm trying to apply them. I've had this phenomenon happen too often with decals and I do not enjoy it. Oh well, maybe I'll just take up macramé. I do like the part about (or is that 'aboot') the bucket - 'Dinna worry, Lassie, I'll poot the rubbish in the bucket'.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional information added.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm another in the "no seatbelt" club. I always forget, and then justify not putting them in because, you know, the seat and cockpit are already in place, and it would just look worse if I tried, wouldn't it? Although I did persevere with an Eduard 110 recently and found, to my great surprise, no real issues with the PE pinging into a dimension interstice.

Still, wouldn't want to push my luck by deeming that to be reproducible on any other model.

• Like 4

Belts can be fiddly but imho are worth it, but at the end of the day everyone has to draw the line somewhere. I think moulded on belts would be better than none at all, but I know others don't agree.

Meanwhile, I've masked the 'pit

39582159761_6d59d980d7_c.jpgMasked by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Yuck. Not easy and by the time I finished 06/24 minor was ready for bed so no chance to airbrush tonight. Hopefully I've managed to seal up the edges ok, there were some distinct gaps but I think I got them all. I gave the masks a sealing coat of clear, can't do any harm, right?

• Like 11

@Learstangif you have the fabric belts already, give 'em a go. You may be pleasantly surprised. I use a scalpel blade to peel them from the backing paper, and a combination of the back of the blade and cocktail stick to prod them into position. If the self adhesive doesn't stick, I dab on some PVA to hold them in place, but superglue also works - the pilot's harness on this one is superglued onto the rail behind the seat. 

I also usually give them a wash to tone the colour down a bit. The hardest part with early war RAF belts is getting the "Y" shaped yoke in place.

On the Zero, Harrier and Gnat on my workbench thread, I just used thin strips of Tamiya tape. Not in any way accurate but seeing something in place fools the eye, especially in 1/72 scale.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the tip! I will give it a go on my Gladiator and Spitfire, which both feature the early-type harness. I do agree that seat belts look good on a model, I just hate putting them on!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

On 06/01/2018 at 7:02 AM, Procopius said:

Winston was very excited to see I'd finished the Wellington ("Big one all done! Wanna touch it!") and then said "are you buildin' any more?" and pushed the chair up to my bench, clambered up it, and lunged for an uncapped hobby scalpel. Father of the year I am not, but he survived, as did the models (easy to make another child, too easy, some might say, or think, least their wife hear them, but tough to find another MPM Bisley). 

While visiting my wife's parents, my daughter, at the tender age of four, once woke up shortly after being taken to bed, and we think went into the bathroom to see who was around.

No-one, (obviously, we were all downstairs) so she decided to follow her father's example and have a shave. With my gillette bladed razor. (type long forgotten in the mists of time).

She must have just nicked herslf and the sudden slight pain caused her to stop shaving, and she went back to bed.

A little while later I went to the bathroom, and found on the bedroom wall opposite the bathroom door a trail of bloody handprints leading to her bedroom door.

Have you ever seen those crime films where someone finds a trail of bloody handprints? I can assure you, the sense of panic the actors act is nothing like the sense of panic I felt. Especially when I went into daughter's be and found her asleep, with pyjama top, pillow, hands and lower face covered (so it seemed) in blood. Shouting for my wife while trying to wake a 4 year old child isn't a god thing, as child cries on rude awakening and is not happy.

Fortunately, no worse damage than a slightly nicked lip, which of course bleeds quite a lot. We never did quite get to the bottom of why she wanted to have a shave, other than that charming urge children have to imitate their parents. I think we both lost several years off our life span when we both saw the blood!

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Eeek! That must have been truly, gut wrenchingly frightening. 

06/24 minor has reached the age where he really needs a shave, but is so far steadfastly refusing to remove his Errol Flynn top lip growth...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Eeek! That must have been truly, gut wrenchingly frightening. 

06/24 minor has reached the age where he really needs a shave, but is so far steadfastly refusing to remove his Errol Flynn top lip growth...

Ahh, I'm not surprised.

Guessing the age he might be, I suspect his moustache has more to do with girls ........... or at least the thought of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

decided to follow [my] father's example and have a shave

I did this at a similarly tender age with a similar result, though perhaps a bit less dramatic as everyone was up and about and heard me blubbing before I covered everything in blood. I have a memory (and I've no idea if it was formed at the time, or whether 'adult me' formulated it at some point) of being annoyed that I got hurt and got told off for it.

Jon that masking looks damn nice to me B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Whofan said:

She must have just nicked herslf and the sudden slight pain caused her to stop shaving, and she went back to bed.

A little while later I went to the bathroom, and found on the bedroom wall opposite the bathroom door a trail of bloody handprints leading to her bedroom door.

shocked_david_bowie.gif

That's a terrifying story. Winnie got bitten by my sister's dog for the third time (who is now, I understand, living on a huge farm with plenty of room to run around, etc etc), and I was just getting home when I saw the car booking it out of the driveway, and Mrs P leaned out and yelled "the dog bit Winston, get in!" He had a huge bandage covering half of his face, and weakly announced to me "doggie tried to eat me". Well, he just likes to have bandaids put on whenever he bumps his knee or whatever, but how was I to know the bandage covered...absolutely no injury at all?

9 hours ago, amblypygid said:

I'm another in the "no seatbelt" club. I always forget, and then justify not putting them in because, you know, the seat and cockpit are already in place, and it would just look worse if I tried, wouldn't it? Although I did persevere with an Eduard 110 recently and found, to my great surprise, no real issues with the PE pinging into a dimension interstice.

I'm fortunate in that I apply the same slapdash inattention to detail and total lack of effort to modelling as I do everything else in life: parenting, being a husband, my job, nutrition... While it may make for crappy models, it generally allows me to power through to the finish line of any build. I think I only have three unfinished part-started models: an Airfix Vulcan, mostly rescribed; the ill-starred Gauntlet (and now that I've dropped $30 on $10 worth of wooden parts that went together to make a biplane jig, I really ought to get on that); and an ancient PZL 7 kit begun as an experiment with PART photoetch. 

In any case, no progress of late on my end. But Jon's Blenheim is certainly looking nice!

• Like 6

I have no idea, sorry, as I'm much too lazy to seal the masking.

Just wondered.

Someone not so lazy may chip in and, hopefully, confirm your method.

I hope it won't harden the masks. Probably won't eh?

Eh?

Always good to bring a little tension to the build thread. Da da daaaaaah....

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 06/24 said:

The whole thing. Why? Was that wrong (panics slightly)

There's probably no need to panic; I've given a mask a couple of brush coats of Future and had no ill effects.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling (stupid autocorrect).
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, I've done it before with no ill effects.

So, I've carried on my crash course in airbrushing:

38891972734_244a2800f8_c.jpgBlenheim IV by jongwinnett, on Flickr

25729574418_49ccb239f9_c.jpgBlenheim IV by jongwinnett, on Flickr

cleaning the AB after is a trial. But I think it looks ok? There's some clean up required on the fuselage sides afterwards - excess glue mostly I think. Shouldn't be a problem (hopefully!)

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Looks jolly good, especially compared to my early airbrushing attempts. 

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbiescan take the credit for that, plus the comparative simplicity of the cheapo Chinese AB. The Colourcoats paint was easy to thin, following Jamie's recipe, and his video was an eye-opener as to how to do this strange voodoo. I know I'm in danger of sounding like a fanboy but it really has changed how I view this art. 

• Like 4

Video or not, that is an absolutely outstanding finish for a first try.

Actually, if you can keep that up you've got nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Very well done indeed. I don't say that lightly. There are many surfaces by far more experienced airbrush users I see on here and elsewhere that are vastly inferior to the quality YOU (not me) just achieved there. It's bad form to criticise other peoples' models I think but you honestly have achieved an excellent finish that, openly admitted or not, most people would be delighted to achieve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's a really smooth coat of paint, and I think we can only attribute so much of that to the general excellence of Colourcoats. Some of it has to be Jonners. I keep looking at it again, it looks so splendid.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

There are many surfaces by far more experienced airbrush users I see on here and elsewhere that are vastly inferior to the quality YOU (not me) just achieved there

Aye, me for one :D Nice job Jon, that's very tidy work B) I'd be pure dead pleased with that.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Very smooth Jon, good job that man!

It's that sort of finish that makes it worth all the messing about and cleaning afterwards eh?

Nice :)

• Like 1

Rule one should always be stick close to your references. Of course I’ve failed to heed my own advice, and not looked back at the photo of the 107 Squadron IV that I am building. A belated rush of commons sense saw me realise among other things that the elevators were dropped, but nothing else. So I’ve bent mangled fixed the tail of mine to match, and then noticed that, unexpectedly (to me at least) the cooling gills (is that what they are?) round the engines appear to be open, Fortunately Airfix offer both options in the kit.

So we have, bomb bay doors, flaps (none of the problems PC experienced) and ailerons fitted, note obligatory finger print (have to have one somewhere) on bomb bay doors, since cleaned and polished off:

38910026544_93e4dccbbc_c.jpgOops by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Beginnings of the power eggs. Airfix would have you paint the flat base of these interior green, probably correct but too much faff for me, so they’ll all be getting a base coat of semi-gloss black:

38722470745_d89779eef9_c.jpgEngines and exhausts by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Finally, the exhausts, as Stew’s build showed, the Barracuda replacements are exquisite, but in a fit of parsimony I thought I would see what I could do with the bland kit parts. A quick twiddle with a couple of drill bits, of increasing diameter, and think these will pass muster:

38722470665_2abc0096af_c.jpgEngines and exhausts by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 10