M4A1 in 1/72.

Fifer54

I had this kit in my stash. I bought it some time ago, to add to my little 1/72 WWII tanks collection, and chose it over other kits because, as a cast hull variant it was a little "different".

Italeri's 1/72 "M4A1 Sherman" comes in an end-opening box, with a nice portrait of a somewhat anonymous cast-hull Sherman on the front, and a 4-view colour scheme and decalling drawing on the back.

03e11664-f6cc-44c8-8314-2f5fb2f1a6af.JPG

3 colour and decal options are shown on the foldout instruction sheet, but the one on the box is only one with any  description of an identity, although US Army, Normandy campaign, 1944 is, to say the least, a bit vague!

79a2648e-e2bb-4858-a854-6163c35f52c4.JPG

Tracks are provided as polystyrene "link & length" and also as continuous vinyl strips as the modeller prefers. Apart from the tracks sprues, the kit's parts are presented on 2 sprues.

2a4ccc65-9da2-43b0-b36f-560d12a126e1.JPG

I didn't take a pic of the decal sheet, it is simply a selection of white stars, with or without circles around, and some numbers!

I'm looking forward to this, I realise the GB has already started, but I won't stat building until after Hogmanay . . .

• Like 5

On 12/31/2017 at 5:05 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice looking kit Gaz, is that an engine I can see on the bottom sprue?

On 12/31/2017 at 5:49 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sure looks like a radial to my eyes.

Sure is! Italeri give you an engine, a propshaft that runs under the fighting compartment floor, and a gearbox/transaxle to sit in the nose!

5220bad8-0fc1-4d0e-b8c5-1769688135f4.jpg

It's all a bit basic, but then it is in 1/72, and it's more than a lot of kits give you!

• Like 3

The Italeri kit (ex-ESCI) is very good, but the precise variant that it depicts OOTB existed only as a Duplex-Drive tank (and thus the kit is missing a few bits).....The 'wet-stowage', 'big-hatch' hull in the kit is very good, but it was much more commonly (ie: almost always) mated with the 76mm turret. 

You can modify the kit (it's utterly trivial work) to make an exceedingly rare (but substantiated) 75mm equipped, 'dry-stowage', 'big-hatch' variant, or if you prefer, PM me with your address, I've still got one 76mm turret in my spares box (Trumpeter), you would still need to source a gun and scratchbuild a new mantlet (the trickiest bit).  :nerd:

PS - It's one of these 76mm equipped ESCI/Italeri M4A1s that I was going to chuck in at the painting stage in my own thread, I've also got two of the 'dry-stowage' modifications part painted:

ESCIImposters

As you can see the modifications to make the 'dry-stowage', 'big-hatch' hull merely involves adding three armour patches (one on the left, two on the right) to the existing part and then blending them in (these were incorporated at the casting stage unlike the applique armour seen in similar locations on other Shermans).

• Like 5

Thanks for that, Sarge! As I don't really want to be building an imaginary tank (there's a place for those, but it's not in this GB!), I'll do my homework, and convert the hull to a "dry-stowage" "big-hatch" hull. I've already done enough homework

to understand what those terms mean!

It's possible that the anonymity of the colour schemes offered in the kit will allow their use for the modified article. If not, these are documented so should be findable (I hope) . . .

I'll actually make a start after a visit to my local paint stockist in the morning.

Blimey Gaz, I remember building the matchbox firefly years ago and It never had that many bits in it. As well as 1/48, I'm must have a look at 1/72 as well.

A bit more has been done on this, more painting and the applique patches on the hull sides.

resized_6945ca6c-d705-4969-a831-a524df95

The engine and transaxle have been installed on the chassis,

2222e060-b8b4-4027-afde-f65dc953ad44.jpg

9f3c107a-f8dc-4c79-890e-fb58b7797c92.jpg

All those road wheels are at the painting stage, then it's on to assembly!

Also, I've managed to acquire (well, it's on its way!) a Mirage Hobby M3A1 Lee in 1/72, so when it arrives I'll add a second entry to this GB.

• Like 4

Thanks, Sarge!

This is now beginning to look (a bit) like a Sherman . . .

613626e4-644b-4055-8109-0c07dacf0c7c.JPG

f5fa11ca-63b8-4047-96e2-7411d8ff02cb.JPG

Details to add, and a bit of light weathering, I think . . .

As mentioned in a previous post, I now have a M3A1 Lee to enter for this as well. Time to make a start, methinks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Ozzy & Sgt. Squarehead.

Ozzy, the engine is completely concealed! It would be possible to build this with open engine hatches, but then the prospect of extra detailing, and/or diorama building (to give context) enters the picture . . .

This build is coming towards the end. I am primarily an aircraft modeller, and as I've got to where these photos show, I've decided I rather like the look of a clean tank. So I'll take some good pix of her

for the gallery and call her done!

308fe017-c63b-4c54-8db9-10c5c0de8520.jpg

2b8b745a-6ac7-4431-b4a7-60455fb28579.jpg

Once the M3A1 is finished, I'll have a break from GBs until later in the year . . .

I only have 1 tank in the stash now- an Emhar Mk.IV Male in 1/72, which I'll build in the "box art" scheme, 'cos that's the tank I sat in at Bovington . . .

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go Gaz, I finally found a picture of a (probable) Big Hatch M4A1 75mm Dry (although it just might be a M4 hybrid):

M4_Sherman_88Flak_36.jpg

Slightly rarer than rocking-horse dung.....Apparently 100 were made before production shifted to the M4A1(76)W.  :nerd: