I fear for Airfix's future!

ElectricLightAndy

There's (almost) no kits of classic Brit cars because 1. Most of the world don't know they exist, and those that do (mostly) don't care, because 2. classic Brit cars aren't that exciting when put up against Euro supercars or even V8 pony cars from the US. Apart from UK, the only people who'd recognise a Cortina are Seth Efricans and Aussies, and mostly we're glad that they're gone. (Ditto all the others from Morris, Hillman, Leyland etc. Although I'd quite like a '64 Hillman Minx for personal reasons.)

Lest people think that I'm being unduly harsh on the UK's motor industry, there's an equivalent situation with aircraft models - how many Spitfires, Mustangs, F-104s etc ad nauseum are on the market, while many other less glamorous types are effectively ignored; civil aircraft, especially light types are almost unavailable, and many deserving medium twins are either not there or represented by kits that are decades old. There's a similar situation with less-known military types as well- who'd love a new kit of the Stranraer or the 0/400 or the Heyford? (I would, all 3.)

Sex sells. And classic Brit cars aren't sexy to most of the world. That's the reality - the 20-odd car kits that Airfix would sell to those in this thread wouldn't justify the cost of designing the box art, let alone making a kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

the only people who'd recognise a Cortina are Seth Efricans and Aussies, and mostly we're glad that they're gone.

Is that the Seth Efricans & Aussies or the hideous British 5Os, 60s & 70s cars.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most of the kits of British cars, especially from the years you mention are real classics, ie MG TC, MGB, E type, XK SS, XK120, MkII,  Morgan, and Healey etc. All kitted incidentally!

The market for cars is tiny compared to aircraft and military models in general, however much you kid yourselves. In the heyday of plastic kits, some of Revell's or Monogram's cars had sales in the millions. Today's manufacturers can only dream of those numbers. And in today's tiny market the demand worldwide for British car subjects is even smaller.

If you really think that a model of a Vauxhall Velox, Ford Zodiac or even a Morris Minor will outsell a Ferrari, then it's a good job you're not on Airfix's marketing team or I really would fear for their future.

Don't get me wrong, I'd really welcome a kit of the Healey 100/4, 3000 or up to date 100/6. But an 1100.......a Vauxhall Victor........a Viva................and horrors, an Allegro! Never in a million years.

Maybe the resin market or 1/32 slot car market will oblige, but never a mainstream manufacturer. Incidentally, 1/32 resin slot cars have some interesting subjects. Have a look at some of George Turner's stuff - he does a Ford Popular van,

a Lister Jag, an Allard, a Morgan, various Jags, Aston Martins, even Hillman Imps and an A35 plus various GP cars. Expensive and needing real work but the nearest you'll ever get to a kit in the near future.

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spaddad said:

Is that the Seth Efricans & Aussies or the hideous British 5Os, 60s & 70s cars.

The cars, mon frère, the cars. Although 'hideous' is possibly a bit harsh - some of them were quite lovely (vis the aforementioned Minx) even if they weren't terribly exciting.

There are, of course, very valid reasons for the lack of excitement in British motoring through those decades.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

The cars, mon frère, the cars. Although 'hideous' is possibly a bit harsh - some of them were quite lovely (vis the aforementioned Minx) even if they weren't terribly exciting.

The SD1 springs to mind,a gorgeous looking car....

• Like 1

Hi miniman,

Great idea except for one little detail. For Airfix to collaborate with another company in order to make British cars, it would require a partner who also saw a market for said British cars. Can't think of any at the moment.............

If you want to gauge the popularity of cars versus military stuff, just look at the postings on any forum, including this one and compare civvy vehicles with aircraft and AFVs. Then you'll see why cars don't figure large in the releases of what few kit makers remain. Then factor in the demand for British stuff and it's an even smaller market.

You have to make a car that's recognised in the USA, Japan and China to make any impact today and none of our mundane everyday transport does that. Just look what they did to to British Leyland. Here's a model of one of the cars that helped to finish off the British car industry..........................no thanks, I'll pass on that one.

Dave

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

I always think it looks very similar to a Ferrari Daytona.

Didn't Heller do a 1/43rd kit of it way back?

They do look similar,thanks i never realised they did one but there's a couple on eBay so i might splash out and get one...

Heller actually did quite a few in 43rd scale, The Rover 3500, 'Leyland' Princess (as they call it), Jag XJS, Mini & Range Rover.

That 43rd scale range is often overlooked and if you are a classics fan, had some really nice little kits in it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

Heller actually did quite a few in 43rd scale, The Rover 3500, 'Leyland' Princess (as they call it), Jag XJS, Mini & Range Rover.

That 43rd scale range is often overlooked and if you are a classics fan, had some really nice little kits in it. 

Very true .  They were delightful little kits of a wide range of subjects .  Can't say I recall the Range Rover , but they definitely did an LWB Land Rover . 

As well as the British stuff they also did , as you would expect , a range of French cars ranging from the mundane such as the Peugeot 504 to the distinctly sporting such as the Renault 5 Turbo (the mid-engined one) & Alpine A310 . 

Mention of this stuff has set me off - next stop Ebay to see what's around .

2 hours ago, rs2man said:

Very true .  They were delightful little kits of a wide range of subjects .  Can't say I recall the Range Rover , but they definitely did an LWB Land Rover . 

As well as the British stuff they also did , as you would expect , a range of French cars ranging from the mundane such as the Peugeot 504 to the distinctly sporting such as the Renault 5 Turbo (the mid-engined one) & Alpine A310 . 

Mention of this stuff has set me off - next stop Ebay to see what's around .

:) They do tend to have that effect on people.

They aren't bad kits, pretty basic but not bad for 30+ year old kits.  

• 1 month later...