P-40 AVG 1/72

This was a short project to relax for a while!  I finished the 1/72 Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 as a P-40B AVG machine, basically out of the box.  I only added break lines, PE iron sights, simulated the canvas interior of the wheel wells and opened the cockpit.  Nice that the kit provides the correct pitot tube.  I had some fitting issues around the cowl, but nothing really serious.  I used the kit decals, correcting only the colors ans corners of the sharkmouth.  I issued the camo patron on Tamiya masking tape from the excellent Osprey AVG publication.  Hard camo edges make this task easier.  The pilot figure comes from the Hasegawa WWII pilots set.   Hope that you like it.

nYdb7Mr.jpg

J0TWTgj.jpg

H64w6mp.jpg

YnRUreP.jpg

zCHKxDz.jpg

zOD7SFw.jpg

x3oRWDc.jpg

otxLC5g.jpg

1uajqKo.jpg

AZAUg7z.jpg

Am5AFAd.jpg

Jcr95W3.jpg

Marco

• Like 46

A potentially absolutely beautiful P-40, but totally ruined by the fact you forgot the pilot's mustache....

Have a great New Year, and please build a lot more mustachioed pilots of this caliber in 2018!

Congrats

JR

• Haha 2

Hi Fin, I followed the recommendation from Airfix: Light Earth (Humbrol 119 which I used), Dark Green (FS 34079, I used Mr Color 309), and for the undersides Camouflage Grey (FS36622, I used Model Master).  Fat black for preshading, and artist oil colors, water colors and pastels for weathering.  The wheel well color is an aleatory mix of Olive Drab with Tan if I remember well, just to make canvas appear kind of worn out, with some water color weathering.

Marco

Edited by Marco1965
  • Thanks 1

Oh I forgot to mention, Fin, that according to references, there were P-40 using Dark Earth as well, but I decided that the Light Earth would look more realistic according to scale (and it was Airfix recommendation, anyway).

Marco

• 2 weeks later...