Sukhoi T10 Flanker Prototype from Modelsvit

8 hours ago, k5054nz said:

because I find the wing design rather nice.

I scratched the T10-20 many years ago - using the Airfix Su-27 kit.

This looks like a Su-27 - but with the same ogival wings of the T10 - plus a conical radome, fins without endcaps and an extended tailboom containing fuel....

flank_17.jpg

It was built for a long range record attempt - which never took place.

Ken

• Like 1

It is great, isn't it Radders.....

Time to assemble the 26 part K-36 ejection seat..... Note that there are two styles of head box - early small and later large.
You can see them both at top left (small) and bottom left (large) - they each have different side panels.
Note the seat firing handle...Number 2. Tiny and totally flashed over.

T10_036.jpg

The seat is simply stunning - but the multitude of parts are tiny - and display some flash that must be trimmed. This is not plastic modelling - it is microsurgery !!!

T10_037.jpg

I didn't read the instructions and initially used the wrong head box - and couldn't figure out why the side panels wouldn't fit.

After four attempts, I finally realised my mistake and fitted the smaller of the two head boxes - but then had to use filler to blend in the two side panels :doh:

This was entirely my fault - no reflection on Modelsvit.

T10_038.jpg

The back of the seat - all separate parts!!!

T10_039.jpg

My photos don't do it justice - it really is superb. I had to make the firing handle from foil - having ruined the plastic part trying to trim off the flash.

I don't know why Modelsvit don't include the firing handle on the etched fret ??? It would be much better in brass.

T10_040.jpg

Another badly take photo of the finished seat.

Ken

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of the paintshop.......

T10_041.jpg

T10_042.jpg

I have decided I don't like making Flanker models - too much masking!!! :bandhead2:

Mask off and paint the exhausts - then mask them, paint the radome and actuator cover, then mask, paint the silver shroud, mask....

Spray an overall coat of light blue, apply Blu-tac sausages, mask - then  spray the mid blue, unmask, apply more Blu-tac, mask and then spray the mid-grey.

I'm not good with an airbrush - so I don't enjoy this part of the build - but the end result is worth it.... eventually.

Give me a silver finish from a rattle can any day.

Ken

• Like 5

Nearly there.............

This really is a stunning kit from Modelsvit..... they even include an etched-brass HUD - very small but perfectly formed...

T10_043.jpg

Also included is a rectangle of perspex for the Combiner Glass!!!! - although my shaky hands and failing eyesight weren't up to fitting it...

T10_044.jpg

Almost time to add the windscreen and canopy - then a few etched aerials and Odd Rods antenna and it will be finished.

Ken

• Like 5

They have excelled themselves this time, I have most of their kits now and they all just get better... God knows what the Tu-14 is going to be like, that's a bench clearer for me! Not building at the moment though, doing out the kitchen/garage etc... should be done soon if I can get my finger out. Lots to be building.

Keep at it Ken, looking forward to seeing it finished.... what's next on the bench? :D

Will you be at the Glocester show, 13th May? 

1 hour ago, Radleigh said:

what's next on the bench?

I'm trying to finish a bunch of Flankers that were started some time ago - Hasegawa Su-35S, Trumpeter Su-30MKK (as a Su-30M2 with Pavel Sukhoi's face on the fin). Su-27IB conversion and Trumpeter Su-34 - with the Su-33 and Su-33UB bringing up the rear (once I am happy with the colours).

Will you be at the Glocester show, 13th May? 

Is the Pope a catholic ??? - see you there ??

Cheers

Ken

• 2 months later...