ANG F-51D modeling projects

72modeler

I thought  fellow Mustang maniacs and/or ANG modelers might enjoy these photos. Tons of neat modeling project possibilities! Take note that many of the Mustangs are in bare metal finish or have been painted with silver lacquer. You can also see many examples that had wings that still had been painted silver over the factory primer/surfacer, as well as many that had the wings stripped to bare metal or were then painted. The wings that retained their primer/surfacer do not show panel lines, with the exception of the gunbays and fuel tank covers, whereas you can see the major panels on the wings of the  Mustangs that had been stripped. No real standardization as to the ANG coding or application of serials and/or buzz numbers, even within the same unit over time. Those were the days- imagine getting to strap yourself into a Mustang on the week ends on Uncle Sam's dime!

Mike

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133697406@N05/sets/72157671366309335

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I thought  fellow Mustang maniacs and/or ANG modelers might enjoy these photos.

Sorry to be picky Mike, but what photos?

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm keen, Mike, but I can't see anything either :(

Martin

Whoops! Can you open the link that I somehow forgot to include in my original post? Can't blame the boo-boo on too much New Year's Eve imbibing, because I haven't done any...yet!

Mike

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Whoops! Can you open the link that I somehow forgot to include in my original post? Can't blame the boo-boo on too much New Year's Eve imbibing, because I haven't done any...yet!

Mike

That's so much better thanks!

Some beautiful pictures in that link, thanks for sharing !

ANG Mustangs are indeed a very interesting subject, some of them were used for second line duties into the mid fifties with some very cool markings. I built that well known Kentucky ANG aircraft a few years ago and I may build a couple more in the future

Thanks for posting - the Swiss air force got about 100 of these Mustangs after the war (D & K) - looking forward to build the 1/48 Hase Mustang with Swiss markings. Your pics will help getting it right color wise.

Cheers,

Michael

On 29.12.2017 at 18:52, 72modeler said:

I thought  fellow Mustang maniacs and/or ANG modelers might enjoy these photos. Tons of neat modeling project possibilities! Take note that many of the Mustangs are in bare metal finish or have been painted with silver lacquer. You can also see many examples that had wings that still had been painted silver over the factory primer/surfacer, as well as many that had the wings stripped to bare metal or were then painted. The wings that retained their primer/surfacer do not show panel lines, with the exception of the gunbays and fuel tank covers, whereas you can see the major panels on the wings of the  Mustangs that had been stripped. No real standardization as to the ANG coding or application of serials and/or buzz numbers, even within the same unit over time. Those were the days- imagine getting to strap yourself into a Mustang on the week ends on Uncle Sam's dime!

Mike

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133697406@N05/sets/72157671366309335

Wow! Thank you, Mike!

Cheers,

Thomas