Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood + Pontos Upgrade set

Wow!!!! 😍

As a modeller I have always preferred the genres of aircraft, cars and motorbikes, in that order and I can honestly says that the last time I built a floaty thing was probably in my very early years as a modeller and was probably an Airfix 1/600 ship. I know I did finish HMS Fearless and HMS Leander, but my main interest was always things that flew. Now, fast forward 40 years. My eldest son has joined the Royal Navy, my youngest son just wants to go on boats, so my interest has piqued a little in all things floaty. Even more so when my local hobby shop had a 30% off everything sale recently!

I went along thinking I'll treat myself to something big, after all, 30% off a lot is a bigger saving than 30% off a little! Luckily my better half agreed! But I looked around and there was nothing that really took my fancy until I looked higher and there on the top shelf, there she was!

The box was so big that the rear seats of my car had to be folded down, but I am now the proud owner of this!

6543DE3E-059F-470E-A708-C62E28ECCC3C_zps

It's huge!!

IMG_0147_zpsc7ngz2qx.jpg

• Like 2

But more importantly, I am absolutely in awe of the work completed on this thread so far. My cap is truly doft. 

Thank you for an amazing build log so far, I really only hope to emulate your skills as much as possible.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, Drift said:

Sorry for the Necro, but this thread made me bite the bullet. I can get this kit for GBP 130. Good deal or not?

Now that's a brilliant price, cheaper than mine which was also a 'steal!' Metaphorically speaking of course! I assume some retailers are off-loading stock that is slow to sell?

Anyway, thanks to my recent visit to Telford, I now have the Pontos set and courtesy of Jamie and Gill at Sovereign, the legendary extra Fret 5 for the rear funnel and the Colorcoat paints.  :)

Any updates on your Hood, Pete?

• Like 1

Hi Mark!

I'm SOOOO glad You had a great time at Telford!!!!!! :angry: .                        I had a great week-end upto My elbows in polymer chemicals!!!!!!! :(, earning Plastic Vouchers!! :giggle:

It's a great show is'nt it, and hopefully, I will be on a off-shift next year, so I will be able to get,and hopefully catch up with You!!!

Settle down with a glass of Your favorite, go through the Pontos instructions and kit intructions, and really, really plan Your attack!!.  I must have spent the best part of a month poring over all My paperwork etc, to get a clear way forward before I reached for the cutters!

I also got some A3 plastic folders to put the Pontos instructions in for easy, coffee-stain free access to bothe sides of the sheet, and made a list of which sprues are in each box, and a parts number/ sheet number guide for the frets for easy hunting, saves a lot of searching about, I found the parts list on the web:-

HMS Hood Pontos PE part number map

I cannot rember where I found this, so acknowledgements to the creator, I hope it is alright to put this up here.

Then again, I'm probably trying to teach My Mum's mum to suck eggs!!

I've used some PE in the past, but nothing to this extent, so I wanted to be sure!

I'm just approaching the end of My Fireball build, just got to do the launch-rail, so I'm hoping to get back on the Hood before or at Christmas.

I'll be keeping My eye on Your thread in the meantime!

Keep Sticking!         Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, Mark said:

Now that's a brilliant price, cheaper than mine which was also a 'steal!' Metaphorically speaking of course! I assume some retailers are off-loading stock that is slow to sell?

Anyway, thanks to my recent visit to Telford, I now have the Pontos set and courtesy of Jamie and Gill at Sovereign, the legendary extra Fret 5 for the rear funnel and the Colorcoat paints.  :)

Any updates on your Hood, Pete?

Great to meet you Mark!

I took the other two of Kim's Hood sets home, spent a week updating general stock levels etc then we reopened the webstore. The two other sets both went within 12 hours of reopening the webstore. I suppose I really should get some more stock of them...

P.S. I don't recall what the conclusion was about the little correction frets - but we have a stash of them if you do need them.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:11 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Great to meet you Mark!

I took the other two of Kim's Hood sets home, spent a week updating general stock levels etc then we reopened the webstore. The two other sets both went within 12 hours of reopening the webstore. I suppose I really should get some more stock of them...

P.S. I don't recall what the conclusion was about the little correction frets - but we have a stash of them if you do need them.

Likewise Jamie!

Which correction sets are you referring to? I have the Fret 5 for the funnel, are there more?

7 hours ago, Drift said:

What do you guys make of the MK1 designs upgrade kit for the Hood?

I could be accused of bias, but it was Pontos Model who overspent their planned budget on HMS Hood designing, getting a tonne of feedback and requests from key members of the HMS Hood Association and input from subject matter experts such as Evert-Jan Foeth on a very long thread on Shipmodels.info and redesigning their set until the Hood experts agreed it was head and shoulders above everything else.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=162889

As a result, it is the Pontos set and only the Pontos set which corrects all the gun splinter shields to Hood's unique and quirky shapes, or gets the oddly shaped plating for the degaussing cables over the hawsepipes correct, etc etc etc. It would be a very long list to catalogue all the small things the Pontos set corrects in the kit - not to mention that Pontos is happy to supply extra frets for the forward funnel so the modeller can correct the most obvious mistake Trumpeter made - the undersized aft funnel. With the rest of the sets you can't do that unless you buy the lesser set twice.

The Mk.1 set is not bad or even remarkable. It is typical of all the rest though - it just provides detailing to a kit which has rather a lot wrong with it and it (and the rest e.g. Eduard) does not incorporate any of the knowledge, references, fixes and little touches requested/suggested by those who know Hood well that the Pontos set does.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:39 PM, Mark said:

Likewise Jamie!

Which correction sets are you referring to? I have the Fret 5 for the funnel, are there more?

Hi Mark,

There were 3 other mini frets which Pontos released to sort incorrect parts in the main set. These are free of charge FYI. At least 1 of them shouldn't be required if your fret 5s say "5-2" as the "Mk.2" fret 5s already include the corrected parts. There's another without a fret number which includes some corrected parts for the ship's boats IIRC.

23009f1-30.jpg

If you need any give me a shout. We ask for the cost of posting a small letter (or you can try Pontos direct if you prefer) but I got a bag of these from Kim's guys last year and Telford.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I could be accused of bias, but it was Pontos Model who overspent their planned budget on HMS Hood designing, getting a tonne of feedback and requests from key members of the HMS Hood Association and input from subject matter experts such as Evert-Jan Foeth on a very long thread on Shipmodels.info and redesigning their set until the Hood experts agreed it was head and shoulders above everything else.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=162889

As a result, it is the Pontos set and only the Pontos set which corrects all the gun splinter shields to Hood's unique and quirky shapes, or gets the oddly shaped plating for the degaussing cables over the hawsepipes correct, etc etc etc. It would be a very long list to catalogue all the small things the Pontos set corrects in the kit - not to mention that Pontos is happy to supply extra frets for the forward funnel so the modeller can correct the most obvious mistake Trumpeter made - the undersized aft funnel. With the rest of the sets you can't do that unless you buy the lesser set twice.

The Mk.1 set is not bad or even remarkable. It is typical of all the rest though - it just provides detailing to a kit which has rather a lot wrong with it and it (and the rest e.g. Eduard) does not incorporate any of the knowledge, references, fixes and little touches requested/suggested by those who know Hood well that the Pontos set does.

The Pontos set is just way out of range for my budget (Our damn weak currency!!!). 

4 hours ago, Drift said:

I was thinking of a red led on  the bridge. 

As a seaman I can asure you, the bridge is never lit. Overwise you couldn‘t see a damn thing outside. The charttable is the only area where you have light but that area is separated with a curtain

Edited by USS_ESSESS
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

As a seaman I can asure you, the bridge is never lit. Overwise you couldn‘t see a damn thing outside. The charttable is the only area where you have light but that area is separated with a curtain

Ok Thanks, maybe I watch too many movies. 🤣🤣

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Keith!

Sorry for the late reply, not been on the thread for a while I've had some health issues which have kept Me from the bench!

from memory (model in hibernation (loitering within-tent!), the boot topping is 6mms wide, I used tamiya tape to mask the black when I sprayed the other hull colours.

I think it is ascribed on the hull as well.

hope to get back on the Hood in the not too distant future!

hope this helps!

keep sticking!      Cheers, Pete

Hi there!

As a follow up the My reply to Keith above, a brief note as a catch up.

I was unfortunate enough to have a heart attack in May, it has been a long recovery process, during which someone seems to have been messing with the dimmer switch on "the light at the end of the tunnel"!

Things are starting to improve now,and I am hoping to get back to work fairly soon and things will get back to normal!

Sorry to everybody following My build, I should have been back before to keep You all informed.

Bye for now, and.......Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333
  • Sad 1