Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood + Pontos Upgrade set

Hi Everybody!

I'm seeing some light at the end of this tunnel now!

All main deck fittings prepared for paint now.

Some work notes:-

Using the Etch-Mate to fold lockers up:-

Bow Degausing cable trays assembly procedure:-

(Cotton bud used to soak excess thin cyano away)

Breakwaters being assembled,the size of the model hits home when seen next to everyday items.........

.............just kidding!!

Sorry about the quality of some of the pics,must get a comera with a good constant Macro.

So,here's where I'm at,hope to get painted and weathered on Monday, then get the decks and fittings on when I finish work again on Wednesday.

188 fittings x an average of 3 parts per fitting = a lot! - just for the main deck! :o

See You soon!

Keep Sticking!    Cheers, Pete

• Like 8

Outstanding, not just in the build but in your sharing of how you do it, gives me a little confidence/idea on how to do it myself.  many Thanks!

Roger.

Hi there!

Thanks for Your kind comments!

Roger, as this is My first major use of PE on a model,I wanted to go into detail about how I was approaching each type of assembly, It may make it a bit long-winded but I hope it can help others who are at the same level of skills building.

Any questions,just ask away,and I can go into more detail.:o

Bendinggrass, if You look at post #1, the 8th photo down shows the model on it's base on My workbench, and the size can be judged from the drawers, they are standard 500 mm ones.

Off the top of My head, the hull is about 1350mm / 53" long.

Thanks for looking in, and........ Keep Sticking!

Cheers, Pete

Edited by morty_3333

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody!

Many,many apologies about the lack of updates on My build, getting to grips (pratting about!) with different techniques as slowed Me down a bit, plus I've been off colour for about 3 weeks :raincloud: (possibly Ebola or Lassa fever.....the Wife says Man Flu - whatever  that is.........:hmmm:!!)

Just working through installing the deck fittings,finding the ones I've missed,or not painted properly (amazing what sins close up photos reveal :oops:)

Started with the anchor chains,I could'nt find bar stud link in a small enough size, so I used the 'Bling' kit supplied one and blackened it, Solution is diluted approx. 50% with water,and the desired effect took about 5 minutes:-

The decks had been sanded down to key the surface after details had been removed, then a thinned coat of Microscale Microflat was applied to help with the adhesion of the wood decks:-

Then continued to fit fittings:-

I've found the etch pretty fiddly to work with but it does get easier with practise,and is definitely worth the effort!

Fittings generaly glued on with Zap a Gap green, smaller items like the ladders by holding with tweezers and dipping the ends in Zap pink the holding in place until set.

I still think the best way to assemble groups of PE is by soldering, I've got some spare bits floating about to contiue to practise on, takes time but worth the effort to learn the skill (biggest problem I am finding is controlling the amount of solder applied to the joint (It's a bit smaller than 15mmm copper pipe!:giggle:

More as I get it done!

Keep sticking!                   Cheers,   Pete

• Like 8

Hello Everyone.

My reason for this doing this project:-

At just after dawn, 77 Years ago today, HMS Hood was lost in action in The Battle of Denmark Strait, with the loss of 1,415 souls:-

http://www.hmshood.com/crew/memorial/roh_24may41.htm

Only Three survived:-

Ordinary Signalman  Ted Biggs

Midshipman  William John Dundas

Able Seaman  Robert Tilburn

For more detailed information:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hood

Please take a moment Today to think of the sacrifice of the Crew of 'The Mighty 'ood' ,and maybe take a 'tot'.

"Ventis Secundis (Latin: "With Favourable Winds")"

Pete

Edited by morty_3333
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete, hopped over from the wheely section to check out your HMS Hood. Great ship, great build! Will be following with interest.

Just a quick progress update:-

Two reels I missed in My original fittings list made up,bases fixed to frame with solder paint, reels with cyano,will go into more detail on the procedure on later fittings:-

Anchor Chains fed around Capstans and through deck,secured by cyano under deck:-

Not tried this product before,let's see how it goes:-

Fore and Aft Decks finally fixed in place using a combination of Revell Contacta and thick cyano:-

Working o the Shelter Deck and the underside of the boat deck next, adding missing detail that will be visible as the model will be wall mounted.

Details will be taken from the Anatomy of the Ship book, E.J. Foerth's Excellent 'On The Slipway site, and The Hood Association Site.

EJ, and Frank Allen of The Hood Association were major contributors fro the reference used by Pontos Models when developing Their Hood Detail Set,and are acknoweleged on the Instruction Sheets.

http://ontheslipway.com/

http://www.hmshood.com/

More soon!

Keep Sticking!     Cheers, Pete

Edit:-

I don't understand why My photos are not showing on the posting,done it the usual way by copy/pasting the link from Flickr into the post, I'm wondering if it as anything to do with Flickr being taken over by Smugmug?

Photos can be viewed by copy/pasting into Your browser,but it is a bit of a bind!<_<

If I can find a solution I'll edit up again!                  Sorry! Pete

Re-edit!

Links working now,but photo not showing on page?             Pete, Puzzled! :wonder:

Re-Re-edit!!

Got the pics in now, copy/pasted the link on the top of the page of each picture,not the way I usually do it, but Hey-Ho,if it works...............................:whistle:

Cheers!  Pete

Edited by morty_3333
  • Like 8

When you pasted the link did you inadvertently click on "show as link" at the bottom?

i pasted links and bb code into this post from flickr and they worked OK (i removed them after so as not to pollute your amazing thread). when pasted they looked nothing like the code you have above😕 were you actually logged into flicker when you copied the links?

Now i pay for flickr, pehaps if you are using the free version it has fallen out of love with you?

Hi noeyedears!

Thanks for havin' a look-see!

Yes, I was logged in before,did everthing the way I normally do it!

As You can see,I've sussed it out, I normally select the picture from the album and right click on it,and select 'copy link location' and paste it into the posting, has worked everytime before,but not this time?!

Anyhoo, I'll use the way I've done it this time in the future,and We should be ok!

Many Thanks!                  Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333

Hi There!

Thanks noeyedears,kpnuts, EX-FAAWAFU and KAYELL (Keith) for looking in,I'm going to try and give a little more detail on My approach to using the PE as I settle down a bit with it, it's the most I have ever used on a project to date, I just hope with Me approaching it as a relative beginner My ideas will be of use to those at a similar stage of learning as I am. I've picked a great deal up online about techniques and would like to pass on My take on it to help other builders make the move into the magical world of PE!:drunk:

Hope to get some time at the bench Tomorrow and get an update up.

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

Sorry for My absence, been away on Holiday and doing Household jobs outside ( downside of  Summer!:doh:........................Upside of summer......:beer:)

Quick update:-

Shelter deck,this requires some additional detailing while I can still get at it:-

Test fitting the wood and etched overlays on the Boat Deck (or 'Up' Deck as Trumpeter calls it) to find out where detail needs removing to accomodate the fitment :-

Areas to be removed marked, and then 'attacked with a fine razor saw and 'P' cutter:-

Other detail on deck and side walls marked for removal, and upperwork structure test-fitted, goes together well:-

Next Job is to transfer the top of the Shelter Deck structure to the underside of the boat deck, to facilitate fitting additional beam work to the ceiling with Evergreen 'I' and 'H' section, plus I need to transfer the Boat Chock positions to the Boat Deck PE overlay so I can get the boats in the right place ( they are marked on the plastic deck but these will vanish under the Overlay )

Will be taking a short break from My Hood , all is explained below :-

Be Back Soon!

Keep Sticking! Cheers,  Pete

• Like 6